Just been told I have c diff..dizziness?

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
jtc60
Brand New Poster

Just been told I have c diff..dizziness?

Postby jtc60 » Sat Jul 30, 2016 11:34 am

So I went for a routine swap with my Gi, interestingly I had no diarrhoea just severe constipation and what I thought were parasites. Tested positive for c. Diff and have been put on an antibiotic..even though I don't actually have any of the symptoms of c. Diff that are listed online. The only thing I have noticed is that the past few days I have been severely dizzy even though I've been drinking loads of water and am peeing normally. Could the dizziness be related to c. Diff at all? Also have bad back and chest pains but cleared by cardiologist..

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Re: Just been told I have c diff..dizziness?

Postby Ril » Sat Jul 30, 2016 11:58 am

Welcome to the site. Please read the first thread on rules for posting.
I am not clear on why you were tested for c diff with no apparent symptoms and what the "routine swap" visit was. Is this an autocorrect? On rare occasions we have had people with constipation rather than d. Usually people are treated based on symptoms and not test results however I am not a dr so can only ask questions to try to get clarity for information.
Do you know the kind of c diff test that was done?
Some people have had dizziness but it is more usual as a side effect to the medication. C diff sometimes does result in odd body pains. As you have said your symptoms do not sound like the usual ones for c diff. What did your dr tell you and what meds are you taking?
As you can see unfortunately I have more questions than answers.
Rita

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Sat Jul 30, 2016 12:11 pm

Hi Jtc60
Sorry you are dealing with cdiff. You didn't mention what antibiotic you are taking for Cdiff. As Rita said , dizziness can be a side effect from treatment , and if your doctor started you on Flagyl i'm 99% sure that your dizziness is caused by it. Cdiff usually comes with severe diarrhea , it's very rare to have Cdiff with constipation , but did you experienced other symptoms beside the constipation : bloating , gas , pain , mucus or blood?

jtc60
Brand New Poster

Postby jtc60 » Sat Jul 30, 2016 12:46 pm

The swab was to test for parasites, I was given something to cleanse my colon and I had noticed what looked like parasites in my stool, so asked for a swab to check. They said negative but that I was positive for c.diff so I was prescribed metronidazole which I started taking last night. The dizziness actually started before I started the antibiotic and today after only taking one last night at dinner it has become extreme.

amyc
Long Time Contributor

Postby amyc » Sat Jul 30, 2016 12:56 pm

Metronidazole definitely can cause dizziness, so if it is a big issue you could request the change to vanco. Metro also does treat parasites, so your doctor may try to encourage you to stay on it if he suspects you have other issues too. Did you recently travel outside the country? We have had some people who suffer C with C diff, but it is unusual.

jtc60
Brand New Poster

Postby jtc60 » Sat Jul 30, 2016 1:12 pm

i havent recently travelled, it was just what looked like parasites/exactly like what other people posted who had them. The dizziness started before I went on the medication, but has definitely got worse..so I guess it could be the antibiotic? It just confuses me as I was dizzy before going on it. Was told to call doctor if I wasn't feeling any better but because I didn't have the symptoms associated with c diff to begin with I'm not sure how I could tell. I've definitely been suffering with SOMETHING making me feel run down and ill (every breath feels like an effort) but doesn't seem to line up with c.diff

Brane S
New User

Postby Brane S » Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:45 am

What happened, are you alive?

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”