Waiting for diagnosis

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
Margaret
Brand New Poster

Waiting for diagnosis

Postby Margaret » Sat May 07, 2016 8:15 am

Hi everyone. I haven't been diagnosed with this. See my gastro on Monday. I had a course of antibiotics for uti and on last day of course, developed back pain, nausea, loose stools. Was given more antibiotics because it was thought it was still there. Uti all cleared up, but for 6 weeks I've had the loose stools, feeling dreaadful, and awful nausea. No appetite at all. I don't have awful diarrhoea, just loose and a constant feeling of needing to go. Does this sound like c. Diff. I have thought all along that it is this. Thanks for any help.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Re: Waiting for diagnosis

Postby georgina » Sat May 07, 2016 9:52 am

Welcome to the site Margaret! Normally, we require a positive c diff test to post on the site. You do not have one - or even obvious c diff symptoms.A few loose stools doesn't mean you have Cdiff ,it can take awhile for the gut flora to return to normal after a course of antibiotics.But , go with your gut feeling , if you feel like it might be cdiff then you ask to be tested.Are you taking any probiotics? If not , you might wanna try saccharomyces boulardii , is a beneficial yeast and is going to help bulk up your stool.
I hope you get well soon!

Margaret
Brand New Poster

Postby Margaret » Sat May 07, 2016 5:23 pm

Thank you Georgina. I'll try that. I have been feeling so terribly unwell I will try anything, I see my gastroenterologist tomorrow. I have a lot of gastro problems. Thank you for our answer.

Ismaila
Regular Contributor

Postby Ismaila » Sat May 07, 2016 7:11 pm

Dear,

Our Georgina is one of the moderators, and certainly extremely familiar and knowledgeable about C DIff. But, I would just like to add that having loose stools for 6 weeks as you say,and feeling so unwell, in my modest opinion, points to C Diff. I am saying this because I never had watery diarrhea myself - just horrible cramps and pain in my stomach, and loose, frequent, painful stools, with strange consistency and very mucusy.

I agree with Georgina - Saccharomyces Bulardii is extremely helpful, and plain necessary during C Diff. Just make sure to get good quality, from a good company. Many people on the Forum use Florastor brand name, but I am currently on my second container of Jarrow's Formulas, from California, that are, according to research, of a very high quality.
Hope you get definitive answer from your DR soon and start proper treatment, if needed.

Best of luck to you,

Ismaila

AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Postby AllisS » Sat May 07, 2016 8:55 pm

Margaret,

It's good that you're seeing your Gi doctor, as he or she can order the appropriate tests to diagnose or rule out C. diff. S. Boulardi is a yeast; ask the doctor about it. The statement that it is necessary in the treatment of C. diff (if it turns out you have it) is not accurate. Best not to take any other medication or supplement before getting medical advice, which we can't offer on this site, as we are a support site.

Allison
If your illness was preceded by use of a medication, e.g., an antibiotic, please fill out an FDA Adverse Event Report at http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/default.htm

Ismaila
Regular Contributor

Postby Ismaila » Sun May 08, 2016 8:06 am

Margaret, and Allison

I am sorry if I posted incorrect statement about Sacch. Bulardii, but I read that it is one of the rare non - prescription things that was actually clinically studied, and showed very good results in helping prevent recurrent C DIff ( NIH statement, if I remember well).

I was just trying to help. I also think that it cannot actually harm a person, C Diff or not. It helped me significantly reduce the number of BMs while I was waiting on the test, and before I was prescribed Flagyl.

All the best,

Ismaila
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3296087/

AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Postby AllisS » Sun May 08, 2016 9:45 am

I know S. boulardi been studied, and I'm not disagreeing that it might be helpful for some in preventing recurrences, though that's not been established. I was pointing out that there's not a basis for saying it is "plain necessary during C. diff."
If your illness was preceded by use of a medication, e.g., an antibiotic, please fill out an FDA Adverse Event Report at http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/default.htm

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Sun May 08, 2016 12:55 pm

Alli is correct. There have been many studies about several probiotics and suggestions have been drawn from them but I have not seen any definitive conclusions that would mandate treatment use. I also have posted in the past cautioning people to make sure they understand the studies they are reading. In addition to understanding medical terms, important things to look for are date of study, sample size,who conducted the study and other similar studies.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sun May 08, 2016 7:24 pm

I was on a two year blind study for Florastor - S Boulardii years ago, it neither helped or harmed me.

Remember, c diff is a very individual disease. What helps one, might not help another.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”