Probiotic questiin

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
Annj
New User

Probiotic questiin

Postby Annj » Sat Apr 30, 2016 8:37 am

Hi. I'm about 9-1/2 months post negative diagnosis. I'm taking 2 Florastors, 1 Digestive Advantage and 1 Align every day. Does anyone take just 1 Florastore per day? Id like to cut it back to 1 because of the cost but I'm afraid to " rock the boat" since this seems to work. I thought I'd take the 2 per day until I reach the year mark just to be sure, but I was just hoping to get some feedback on what others have done. Thanks so much! Ann

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Re: Probiotic questiin

Postby NanciT » Sat Apr 30, 2016 8:57 am

Anne

I think many of us cut back on the probiotics as we recover. My old GI actually told me to stop once I was CDIFF negative.....well then I found another GI! I was taking VSL3 twice a day and cut down to 1 after I tested negative. It is also known to help with IBS so I have continued to take it ( 1 1/2 yrs post CDIFF) but still have IBS. It is very individual but I am fine on just 1. I do add Kefir every once in awhile if my stomach bothers me.
You may not see a difference at all, I did not cutting back to one pill.
NanciT

Annj
New User

Postby Annj » Sat Apr 30, 2016 9:47 am

Thanks Nanci. At least your GI talked to you. I haven't heard from mine since my last test!! My PCP's nurse told me to stay on the probiotics all the time. I really don't think most doctors realize the severity of this disease and the after effects we go through!!

NikaNik
Long Time Contributor

Postby NikaNik » Sat Apr 30, 2016 3:44 pm

Hi, Ann!

Glad to hear you are 9 1/2 months post c diff. I'm just over a year post c diff and during c diff I took 2 Florastor a day but a few months post c diff I went down one Florastor a day (I've skipped it here and there too - either forgetting or at times when I ran out). Didn't notice any difference going from 2 to 1 or even the times I forgot. Hope that helps. : )

Nikki

Annj
New User

Postby Annj » Sat Apr 30, 2016 5:49 pm

Hi Nikki-- Thanks. That does help. It's good to hear from someone who's been negative about the same amount of time. I thought I'd stay on the 2 until I'm a year or so out, then cut down to one. Every time I reorder the Florastor I look forward to not having to pay so much!! But I'll do anything to stay well!! Thanks again. Ann

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Sat Apr 30, 2016 6:53 pm

Theres plenty of other S.Boulardi apart from the Florestor brand!
Most of them are a LOT cheaper!
Also google kombucha tea.
Buy a culture and make your own drink that has live s.boulardi and many other probiotics for the cost of a tea bag.

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Sat Apr 30, 2016 6:56 pm

Hi Ann,
My GI told to take the Florastor 2x/day for a few months then I could stop altogether and go on any good probiotic I chose. I take Align, suggested by a GI dr friend, which helps my IBS. I haven't seen any difference and it's been a few years.
Rita

Annj
New User

Postby Annj » Sun May 01, 2016 7:22 pm

Thanks Rita and Roy. It really does help to know what others have found that helps. The next time I order I'm going to look at the generic Florastor brands. I've seen them but I wasn't sure they were as good. Thanks for the tips! Ann

Ashley20
Regular Contributor

Postby Ashley20 » Sun May 01, 2016 9:20 pm

Hi Annj, im also 9 months out and taking only 1 florastor a day. I also drink keifer and i been doing great. I been doing the 1 florastor a day for about 3 months, during recovery i would take 2 florastor and 1 culturelle.

justme
Long Time Contributor

Postby justme » Sun May 01, 2016 10:07 pm

Ann: You are lucky to be able to take probiotics post C.Diff. Even at 3 years out, they give me IBS and I've tried them all. I can't even take the Align or anything with dairy like Kefir and yogurt. This is just my opinion, but if you can take them - go for it. They aren't going to hurt you and they are adding good bacteria.
Aloha,
Anne

zinnia1
Regular Contributor

Postby zinnia1 » Sun May 01, 2016 10:32 pm

My gastro told me it was such an inexact science and I didn't need to take at this point in recovery ( i am same as you) I kind of take when I remember, or if I feel a little poorly. Absolutely everyone and every doc I have me has a different perspective on this!

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sun May 01, 2016 10:49 pm

Docs seldom agree on anything. Probiotics are a "maybe" thing anyway. They help some - don't do much for others. Most docs discourage their use after a FMT because they "fight" with the new good bacteria.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Mon May 02, 2016 5:18 am

The only probiotic that did something for me was Saccharomyces boulardii , others were useless!

Dukiemom
Contributor

Postby Dukiemom » Mon May 02, 2016 6:11 am

My dr never mentioned Florastor and I had experienced multiple relapses before I found this site so the only probiotic I take is VSL3 1 x per day and drink kefir. After flagyl, vanco, vanco taper and Dificid I am now almost four months out from my last Dificid, Still taking the 1 VSL and drinking kefir each day. Its hard psychologically to willingly give up any regimen when you are having good results (just ask sports fans!) but by now you can probably reduce your probiotic intake slowly and it may be more of a change in your system than any relapse of the cdiff. Congrats on your recovery.

Annj
New User

Postby Annj » Sat May 07, 2016 12:13 pm

Thanks everyone. I think you're right about the psychological part of recovery. I don't know why, but I'm afraid to stop taking the 2 Florastor per day till I reach the one year mark! I also found out about Florastor myself. The doc never mentioned it. I've told others about it when they've had just regular diarrhea problems and it seems to help. I've become so paranoid about antobiotic use that I've told anyone I know taking them to be careful!! I guess we're all crusaders after going through what we have!! Thanks again, Ann

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”