Probiotics

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
Roberta
New User

Probiotics

Postby Roberta » Sat Feb 20, 2016 8:16 pm

I am on my third c diff relapse. This time I'm trying Dificid. 3 days and feeling better. I also wanted to get more aggressive to try to replenish my good gut bacteria. I have been taking Florastor one pill twice a day and have been doing that for weeks. Drinking 1-2 glasses of Kefir and yesterday started taking VSL3 capsules. I am not sure how much probiotics are safe. Can others share experiences. My only complaint is feeling full and a little bloated. I am hoping the probiotics will crowd out the c diff. I read the probiotics work for some and not for others. Have others taken both Florastor and VSL3? I am spacing everything out but I don't want to overdue the probiotics if such a thing is possible.

Welcome any comments.

Thank you

Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Re: Probiotics

Postby Lisa33 » Sat Feb 20, 2016 8:29 pm

I took 2 VSL-3 pills per day with active c-diff, and then took 1 VSL-3 and 1-Florastor in recovery, and still do now at 15 months out. I also drank Kefir and ate yogurts. When I first started the probiotics, they gave me bloating and gas. After my body adjusted, those symptoms went away. However, they were always tolerable. For some, probiotics are not tolerated well. So, it's really an individual thing. It sounds like you have been doing well with the Florastor. If the bloating or any other symptoms start to get worse, you may want to cut out 1 Florastor, while you take the VSL-3. If it's tolerable, then I think stick with both. But, I wouldn't take anymore. I think you are taking plenty. Make sure to space out the VSL-3 from the Dificid, as the Dificid will kill off that probiotic. Florastor is a yeast probiotic, and won't be killed off by the meds.

I'm glad you are feeling better on the Dificid. Hopefully this cures you once and for all.
Lisa

Roberta
New User

Postby Roberta » Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:43 pm

This is perfect. Thank you Lisa. Hopefully this time I will kick it!

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sat Feb 20, 2016 11:03 pm

Probiotics are a "might help, might not" issue. Some swear by them while some say they make their symptoms worse. See CDI - Probiotics and Treatments.

Let us know what they do for you.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”