INFO RE "THE SPORES"

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Re: INFO RE "THE SPORES"

Postby Lisa33 » Wed Aug 26, 2015 4:51 pm

There are a few posters on here that have had c diff with constipation. It's not a typical symptom, but some have experienced it on this board.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Wed Aug 26, 2015 7:34 pm

Some here say yes.
Most, but not all experts will say no.
Constipation and illius (a serious complication that stops the colon working) are extreamly different, illius is a symptom that lay people seem to think is the same thing as constipation but that far from right
C.diff toxins cause the bowel to extract copious amounts of water from your system in an attempt to flush the toxins out and the result is D but if severe damage is done the D stops because the bowel is severly damage and paralised.
The only option then is surgical removal of the colon to save the sufferers life.
That the closest the medical worlds guidelines gets to C.diff constipation
IF a Dr said you had measles but you did not have spots would you accept that diagnosis?

GCTrailRunner
Contributor

Postby GCTrailRunner » Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:59 am

Those darned spores and so many unanswered questions. I know I think about the possibility of a relapse more often than I should - every time I use a bathroom that I used when I was sick or the bathroom my Mom used when she had her incident. I think about spores that are hiding. I have bleached the hell out of everything that I possibly can and still in the back of my mind think 'what if I missed something'. I know I can't live my life in fear but I have my moments - praying for a cure and praying that one day all of us won't have to be anxious every time we feel a little off or have D. There is always room for hope :)
Gloria

NikaNik
Long Time Contributor

Postby NikaNik » Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:36 am

I feel the same way, Gloria. I'm almost five months c diff free and grateful beyond measure. But I now don't enjoy eating like I used to because of the fear if it will sit well. And every single day I worry if I have dormant spores in me that will activate if I get D or need an antibiotic in the future. I hate that there's no way to tell if it's laying dormant after treatment. They really need to get moving on other treatments and cures. Hate c diff so much.

TowerL
Contributor

Postby TowerL » Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:37 pm

The spores are so confusing. So even once we aren't showing symptoms we can still carry spores? Here I was hoping if I am ok after treatment I might be ok.
Wonder what ingredient in bleach kills them.

Again, C. Diff and it's frustrations.

gwang
Regular Contributor

Postby gwang » Fri May 27, 2016 10:05 am

I wouldn't worry to much about it.Yes, c diff is scary and horrible, but trusting what you see is only going to make life that much more difficult. Bottom line is we got c diff and take it a day at a time. Spores or no spores.

sister
New User

Postby sister » Thu Jul 14, 2016 6:07 pm

Regarding the post asking if there was such a thing as C-dif with constipation..... I have had C-dif three times during which two of the times it reoccurred. I did not experience diarrhea at any time and yes during one bout, I was constipated and given water enemas.

Medena
Contributor

Postby Medena » Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:31 pm

sister wrote:
> Regarding the post asking if there was such a thing as C-dif with
> constipation..... I have had C-dif three times during which two of the
> times it reoccurred. I did not experience diarrhea at any time and yes
> during one bout, I was constipated and given water enemas.

My question is if you had cdiff with constipation, how did you know its cdiff? What syptoms did you have?! How did they test your stool if it was formed

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:15 am

Solid stool can be tested for c.diff but because c.diff can be a normal gut inhabitant and not cause illness the guidelines instruct labs not to test solid stool.
Having c.diff in your gut is NOT unusual and NOT a disease.
If someone has D and a Dr suspects c.diff is the cause the test is done to confirm it.
A positive test CONFIRMS the diagnosis and should not be the only reason treatment is started.
Tens of thousands of people are being treated because solid stool is being wrongly tested and inexperienced Drs only look at the test result.

Medena
Contributor

Postby Medena » Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:09 pm

roy wrote:
> Solid stool can be tested for c.diff but because c.diff can be a normal gut
> inhabitant and not cause illness the guidelines instruct labs not to test
> solid stool.
> Having c.diff in your gut is NOT unusual and NOT a disease.
> If someone has D and a Dr suspects c.diff is the cause the test is done to
> confirm it.
> A positive test CONFIRMS the diagnosis and should not be the only reason
> treatment is started.
> Tens of thousands of people are being treated because solid stool is being
> wrongly tested and inexperienced Drs only look at the test result.

But what syptoms did you have?

FMT
Brand New Poster

Postby FMT » Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:35 pm

The scourge of C. diff has seen little highlight in the lay-press, but the effects on my patients' lives have been significant to say the least. There are few experiences in my professional career that compare with the healing effect of FMT for C. diff. colitis.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xlan_xsCCrg

MIKEB16
Brand New Poster

Postby MIKEB16 » Sat Jul 07, 2018 4:27 pm

DOES ANYONE KNOW OF ANY ARTICLES THAT CAN REALLY TELL YOU IF / WHEN PEOPLE WHO HAVE CDIFF ACTUALLY "SHED" SPORES ???

I READ AN ARTICLE FROM OXFORD ON A STUDY THEY DID IN 2009 THAT SAID PEOPLE WITH CDIFF DO SHED SPORES.

THAT SUX....

PLEASE, LMK, IF ANYONE HAS ANY INFO.

THANKS

MIKE

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:25 pm

I don't have links, but I remember reading articles that said you shed spores for a long time, even after treatment.

Mzperx
New User

Postby Mzperx » Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:55 am

I see that this is quite an old topic, and not sure whether I'm posting in the right topic, but I still don't understand the spores. So spores are basically the 'baby form' of bacteria? Which in certain conditions can transform into bacteria that produce toxins? And other time they are dormant either in the gut or on the environmental surfaces? Are they equally viable in both places? Or outside of the body they die after a while? Or get ingested than start again the cycle? When someone has an active infection and diarrhea all over the place, does it mean that the concentration of spores (not developed bacteria bc they are anaerob, right?) is higher than what a treated person would shed in their stool? And what's the difference between spores in feces and the ones transmitted to other surfaces? So basically what is the difference between an active infection and a treated one contagious-wise, if people still shed spores in their stool and might even continue as carriers? Thank you

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:23 pm

Spores are not "baby c.diff" or "eggs"
When c.diff is under attack it builds itself a coat that nothing can get through , it then is classed as a spore, in that condition it is dormant (hibernating) and can leave the body in faeces.
It can survive in that condition for years unless it is killed by bleach.
Along comes an animal and somehow picks it up and swallows it.
If the condition in that animal's gut is good then the spore might be destroyed, or it can germinate and multiply then become spores and move on again when the hosts immune response attacks it (no disease).
If the animals gut is in poor condition it can multiply out of control and cause disease.
C.diff is intelligent, it detects the attack from c.diff antibiotics and becomes a spore so it follows that during treatment you shed more spores.
Note
Animal and human, same thing!
Spores are spread by getting minuscule amounts of poo on your hands, a pin head would hold many thousand spores, you transfer that to whatever you touch.
Somebody then touches that surface and the poo is now on their hands and they can pass it to another surface or ingest it.
Hand to mouth anywhere along the line and it starts again.
The cycle is broken by washing it off!

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”