Anyone out there with history of UTI's?

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
JeannieR
Regular Contributor

Anyone out there with history of UTI's?

Postby JeannieR » Fri Jul 24, 2015 12:48 pm

I have always been prone to UTI's. I have gotten them once or twice a year for years. I am so afraid of getting one again. I just finished my 2nd round of flagyl 8 days ago. I am experiencing some weird pattern of stools hoping this is just ibs. But today I feel constant burning in my girl parts. Not when I pee though. I'm just uncomfortable: I'm drinking. And have been drinking a ton of water and I have also been taking D-Mannose, which is supposed to prevent UTI's. I'm wondering if anyone eles has had issues with UTI's and what they have done to prevent them while recovering from cdiff and never having to take another antibiotic again. I am so scared and worried.

Jackie25
Regular Contributor

Re: Anyone out there with history of UTI's?

Postby Jackie25 » Fri Jul 24, 2015 2:16 pm

I was never prone to UTIs until after having c diff, I think personally there is a correlation between the two because so many posters have had issues with this while dealing with or recovering from c diff. I had one during recovery, needed Bactrim , relapsed. Almost a week into recovery now again lol I tried cranberry pills, chugged water, cranberry juice, and high amounts of D mannose, none of it worked for me before. Come to find out, d mannose only works for E. coli based bacteria causing UTIs. Mine was a different bacteria, hence the Bactrim.

However! During this second infection I had, I began to experience yet again symptoms of an upcoming uti. And I was damned if I was gonna do this all over again lol so I figured since my last uti was not E. coli, this probably would not be either. I scoured the internet looking for an alternative to cure it without antibiotics. I found a product called Monolaurin. Take 6 in am and 6 more in the pm, within 3 days I was cured. But winged myself off for about a week after. I continue to take 1-2 Monolaurin a day because they help your immune system. And I also drink 8 ounces of cranberry juice each day just I case. I only drink water and unsweetened green tea as well.

This is not medical advice, just what I used and worked wonders for me! I hope you see the uti symptoms subsiding soon! D mannose is a good product if the bacteria is E. coli. It caused me to have loose stool when I took it, just FYI lol

JeannieR
Regular Contributor

Postby JeannieR » Fri Jul 24, 2015 2:26 pm

Oh no... That is not good news about the UTI's and cdiff. Ugh. Does that medication clear ecoli too?

Jackie25
Regular Contributor

Postby Jackie25 » Fri Jul 24, 2015 2:41 pm

Don't quote me, but I don't think so? E. coli is a gram negative bacteria, Monolaurin will treat gram positive bacteria such as proteus mirabilis and the like. If you continue to take the d mannose and feel that it's just not working, maybe you could the Monolaurin? I know in order for d mannose to cure an already existing uti you have to take a large quantity. Like 2-4 pills every few hours is what I was advised I believe. Monolaurin can be found at vitamin shoppe and places like that though. I got a bottle of 90 pills for I wanna say $15? All I know is it worked really well for me thank GOD!

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Sun Jul 26, 2015 2:40 pm

I have a history of UTI's and also years ago had Interstitial cystitis. I am nine months Post CDIFF and did have a UTI in June. At that time, I had to go on Keflex which was one of few drugs sensitive to the infection. I took Keflex and spaced out Vanco 250 4xday for 10 days. I did not feel great, but did not have the CDIFF return.
I now take the D Mannose everyday (I take it 3x a day) and have not had any UTI symptoms since!

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”