gas during and after treatment

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
lumpea
New User

gas during and after treatment

Postby lumpea » Tue Jul 14, 2015 2:40 pm

Hi all,

I'm wondering about people's experiences with gas and flatulence during and after treatment with vanco and/or dificid. I tested positive for C diff, went on a 14 day course of vanco, retested positive, went on a 10 day course of dificid, and still have symptoms. I've been taking 2 capsules of VSL#3 every day throughout this. I see the GI doc tomorrow for a possible colonoscopy - he also does FMTs. During the time without treatment and during treatment, I never really had gas, burping, or flatulence. But I noticed the past couple of days since finishing dificid, it's kicked up a notch. All other symptoms including multiple daily D BMs, GI pain, and nausea remain the same.

Thanks!

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: gas during and after treatment

Postby beth22 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:23 pm

I still have gas every day. According to my doctor it is either bacteria or yeast that causes it. The gut bacteria after a GI infection is compromised and not in balance. The c diff itself, the vanco all help to do this. It is also part of SIBO or IBS. Probiotics give more gas to most people. Some people say Gas-X helped them. You could try it. But, what you are describing is fairly common after c difficile.

seekingcure
Long Time Contributor

Postby seekingcure » Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:49 pm

I also suffer with gas after having FMT on June 5th. Some days are worse than others, depending on what I eat. If I overdo the probiotics, I will get increased gas as well.
Bea

lumpea
New User

Postby lumpea » Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:01 am

beth22, I was also diagnosed with SIBO about 4 years ago. I was very happy to have stumbled onto a GI doc who was up on the research and administered a breath test. A couple of courses of Rifaximin helped tremendously. Seems like my entire GI tract has now been affected by something...GERD, gastritis in stomach, SIBO, and now C diff! :)

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:24 am

Unfortunately c diff can trigger IBS too. My doctor is doing research and found that toxins cause IBS, but not the same ones as for c diff. They are working on a cure.

getwellsoon
Long Time Contributor

Postby getwellsoon » Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:32 am

Dificid caused gas for me, while I was taking it and for some time after. It is what finally cured me of CDiff though but was a tough med for me to take. Others have no problems. Hope you feel better soon.
CAROL

skizamii
Contributor

Postby skizamii » Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:51 pm

Both times I was on Dificid I had terrible gas (belching), bloating, fullness feeling, etc. My last dose of Dificid was Sunday evening and I'm just now starting to feel more normal (Wednesday). C. Difficile can also cause the same thing, so...?

I also had really bad fatigue, body aches, chills, weakness, etc. while on Dificid. I'm not sure if it was that or something else, but it definately ramped up right after starting.

KatNS
New User

Postby KatNS » Sun Apr 01, 2018 11:27 am

Having lots of gas. Really effects sleep. Trying to take in in stride, but I feel really crappy (pun intended). Started metronidazole last week and have 4 more days to go. Am on probiotics, too. Read here that some probiotics can cause gas. Feeling really discouraged and distraught this Easter morning 2018.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:51 pm

There is a probiotic that my mom takes called Digestive Advantage - gas defense formula. She has been taking for years and it helps her. Walgreen's carries it.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”