Microbiome - IMPORTANT

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
Bobbie
Administrator

Microbiome - IMPORTANT

Postby Bobbie » Sun Jul 05, 2015 2:33 am

Remember this word. It is the focus of the new research on curing/preventing C diff. Pls post anything you have read about it in Media Reports. NikaNik, you are doing a great job of helping in Media Reports; could you concentrate on this area until we are all more educated about it? AllisS, could you also participate?

mi·cro·bi·ome
ˌmīkrōˈbīōm/
noun
the microorganisms in a particular environment (including the body or a part of the body).
"we depend on a vast army of microbes to stay alive: a microbiome that protects us against germs, breaks down food to release energy, and produces vitamins"
the combined genetic material of the microorganisms in a particular environment.
"understanding the microbiome—human, animal, and environmental—is as important as the human genome"

NikaNik
Long Time Contributor

Re: Microbiome - IMPORTANT

Postby NikaNik » Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:38 am

Thank you, Bobbie! I'll keep an eye out for Microbiome-related articles and will set up a new Google alert for them as well.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:11 pm

Eat dirty food, dont wash so often, kiss your dog!
http://humanfoodproject.com/an-eaters-g ... icrobiome/

Read the disussion as well

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sun Jul 05, 2015 4:27 pm

Thx, Nikki and Roy. The other support sites have stressed the importance of the microbiome for some time. Evidently most new research is based around it. Lots of exciting discoveries coming up soon so hang on, everyone.

Agree, Roy. As kids, we did all, sorts of "stuff" without a problem but once you have c diff, it changes everything - unfortunately. As a kid, I would have considered the "now" me a paranoid fusty old biddy.

I'll do some research, too, and would appreciate anyone else doing it. If you are not a mod, send it to me, a mod, or Nikki as only she and mods can post in Media Reports.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Sun Jul 05, 2015 5:33 pm

Bobbie
Anyone can post in media reports
Its an open forum.
Even a new member could make their 1st post there if they wanted to.
I was a sickly child and our Dr was of the old school.
If a patient was genuine he would just come in to see you when he was in the area.
Remember those really careing times?
I was sickly with tonsilitas 2 weeks a month.
Dr called in to see how I was doing unexpectadly
I was in the yard making mud pies! (7 years old)
Dr just laughed and said that when my tonsilis were gone I will not have infection problems when i get older.
Spots, Zits, etc I demanded the magic pills.
Even then remember when we resolved the Zits with a squeez and they sprayed on the mirror:-)
But.
You know what?
I have not had an antibiotic for over 41 years!

seekingcure
Long Time Contributor

Postby seekingcure » Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:45 pm

Roy, would you consider being the stool donor for my fecal enemas? Just kidding of course; but, if you were closer, it sounds like you would be the perfect donor. It's incredibly difficult to find a donor who has not had antibiotics at least within the last few years. Some doctors only require that donors not have had antibiotics in the previous three months, but it seems to me that the longer without them, the better the donor would be. Kudos to you for being without them for so long! I'll bet you never have digestive issues. By the way, I made mud pies when I was little too and often came in so dirty in the summertime that I had to soak in the tub and my feet had to be scrubbed because we went barefoot in the summer. My sister and I swept up dirt to make "walls" for our playhouse and could entertain ourselves for hours with very little other than our imaginations.
Bea

getwellsoon
Long Time Contributor

Postby getwellsoon » Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:03 am

Roy, I was like you as a child, I had tonsilitis and strep at least 4 times a year. When I finally got my tonsils out at 11 I never got sick again. I had ATX a few times since but it was the clindamycin for the abscess that did me in. At 57 yrs. old. So I was healthy as a horse until then.
CAROL

justme
Long Time Contributor

Postby justme » Tue Jul 07, 2015 12:13 am

When I was little and made mud pies, I made my little brother eat them. My mother said he'd always complain and tell her that "Annie's cookin' again", and he'd start crying. Those were the days. We'd didn't worry so much about germs and antibiotics were wonder drugs that solved nearly everything. Now overuse has led to this awful disease. Sometimes, too much of a good thing can lead to a very bad thing.

brae
New User

Postby brae » Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:26 pm

Dr. Jordan Peterson (a psychologist) made some interesting remarks about the microbiome at the 4:13 mark of this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlLobz5H2m0. It was somewhat mocked in the comment section but i'm glad to see it was touched upon there.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”