Colonoscopies

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
tmb74
New User

Re: Colonoscopies

Postby tmb74 » Tue Sep 15, 2015 5:39 pm

My GI doc says I should do one since I have had Ibs for several years, had acute diverticulitis in early September (first time) and the augmentin I took for it gave me a c diff relapse. I will be eight weeks out from my last dose of vanco. Is that enough time? I dread the whole thing anyway.

susant
Regular Contributor

Postby susant » Wed Sep 16, 2015 1:09 pm

I'm having one on Monday. Terrified of cdiff relapse but I'm having significant bleeding and other issues so I have no choice. Hoping it's not colon cancer...

daisy
Regular User

Postby daisy » Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:47 pm

I will pray for you susant... Everything is going to be ok, try to stay calm!

Jane4258
New User

Emailed my GI about upcoming colonoscopy

Postby Jane4258 » Thu Nov 12, 2015 11:03 am

I was concerned that, being so close to my second FMT and still having problems, if my colonoscopy scheduled for Dec 7 would cause me to relapse. I emailed him and asked if there was anything I could do beforehand that would help.

He responded "Eat yogurt with live cultures and we will keep our fingers and toes crossed that all goes well....even though that will make the procedure a little trickier"

I really did appreciate his humor, but this is what also concerns me. First of all, I am taking Florastor twice a day - is the additional yogurt, which I eat daily anyway, really going to have that much of a positive impact on keeping the c-diff at bay after the prep for the colonoscopy? Not even sure he realizes that his PA started me on the Florastor....

I just sometimes feel that they really do not understand how worrisome the concern of relapse is to a c-diff patient that has been fighting it for 10 months! Or am I just being a little too oversensitive.....

bubbe1
New User

Postby bubbe1 » Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:33 pm

Wyok
Hi,
Do you mind if I ask which prep you used for your procedure?

ramu
Regular User

Postby ramu » Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:08 am

If anyone else had C diff and then a scope without a relapse, it would be nice if you posted here. I'm prob gonna get a scope this month sometime.

Valor197
New User

Postby Valor197 » Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:46 am

I'm having one on monday... will let you know how it goes...

zinnia1
Regular Contributor

Postby zinnia1 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:41 pm

I had a cdiff last year, IBS most of year and a colonoscopy just about 6 weeks ago- so about 10 mos post neg c diff test.
The prep was fine. And I felt great first few days, but I did get a bit careless and eat anything I wanted (and things I hadn't eaten in a long while) in the first few days post procedure (having foodie houseguests didn't help! Then the leftover prep had something to work on and my gut was thrown off for about 3 days! That had never happened to me after colonoscopies pre cdiff, but my diet has severely changed this past year. Anyway- I am fine now and am glad to have it out of the way for next ten years hopefully!

sister
New User

Postby sister » Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:34 pm

I am a 72 year old female who has had five bouts with C-dif. It has been very hard to diagnose, because unless you have watery diarrhea, they refuse to test for it. This fifth bout ended with four hospital stays, The first stay I was given 3 (three) water enemas in four hours, because they said I was just constipated..... Only then did they test and I tested positive for C-Dif. I have never had diarrhea with C-dif. My C-Diff symptoms are frequent bowel movements, dehydration, severe pain, and throwing up. This delays treatment and I am seriously ill before getting help. Last month after four hospitalizations for C-Dif, one doctor wants me to have a colonoscopy... My intestines still hurt. I am greatly fatigued and my insides grumble at times. I am on two months of tapered dose vancomycin and will then go on Fidaxomicin and take 2 Lactinex tablets each day.

Does anyone know how wise it is to undergo a colonoscopy when the colon is so compromised and you are undergoing treatment?

Has anyone else experienced the lack of watery diarrhea with C-Dif?

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:11 pm

Welcome to the site. Please read the first forum about posting. I am going to move your post to it's own topic so that you can get some answers. This is an older post and people may not see yours.

sister
New User

Postby sister » Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:06 am

Thank you. And I reread the rules. Sorry for whatever I did wrong. Right now I am like most with C-dif.... terrified, in pain, sore from multiple failed attempts to insert IV's, and extremely weak. Mostly, I just do not feel I can make it through a colonoscopy.

Valor197
New User

Postby Valor197 » Mon Jul 11, 2016 2:45 pm

Valor197 wrote:
> I'm having one on monday... will let you know how it goes...

Had my first Colonoscopy since C Diff on June 27th.... everything still ok.. i'm assuming i'm in the good.... Wasn't bad...

polz23
Brand New Poster

Postby polz23 » Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:12 pm

Hi Bobbie -
I love this forum and have resorted to it for information during my recovery. Thank you so much for your efforts with this site.
I have been C-diff free now for 4 1/2 months.. after two relapses from my initial illness (I believe I acquired C-diff via spore transmission as I was not taking antibiotics or in a hospital) Dec 2015 to March, 2016. Shortly after my negative test result in April, my doctor wanted me to have a colonoscopy to determine what damage had been done to my system by the C-Diff. I declined... I also resorted to a very strict diet which included many soft foods, little to no sugar, dairy, bread, etc. Over time, my system has slowly healed = in that the pain in my infected/damaged are of my intestines area decreased over time and I was able to increase my food variety's without resulting in much pain..

All that ended Aug 7th when, after a day of eating WAY more nuts (walnuts, almonds and cashews) that I was used to during a hiking trip seemed to shred my c-diff damaged areas, resulting in me passing bloody tissue again.. and two days later, eating corn on the cob (another mistake I will never make again).. My symptoms were so C-diff related I thought I had relapsed and while out of town, was able to get my Dr. to arrange for an out-patient test at the local hospital. My test came back negative, but I have continued passing bloody tissue during BM's for 10 days straight and the pain in my lower right side, where I believe my C-diff was located, has been consistent and inflamed again.

As a result of this issue, my Dr. is again pushing for a colonoscopy to see what kind of damage my system has suffered as a result of c-diff. After this latest incident, in which the raw nuts (and it appeared that many of them were undigested as they passed through my system, which leads me to believe as they traveled through my intestines as undigested pieces, the pieces shredded parts of my intestine already delicate from the C-diff infection.... ) I tend to agree with him that it would be good to know the damage done...

But as I read through the forum, there is mixed information about having a colonoscopy and possible relapse to C-diff resulting from the procedure..

I am the type that wants to see how my body heals up itself... but after passing blood and some tissue for as many days as I have, I believe the procedure may be a good thing.

Post C-diff I have been taking 500 mg florastor a day, plus a Probiotic 10 - 3 capsules a day from Costco... about 2 Dannon Activia yougurts a day, and the last few days, soft foods like soups with veggies, yogurts, protein drink with almond milk, noodles with pesto or red sauce and or rice with soft chicken, veggies and soft fruits... While this seems to alleviate the passage of these foods thru my system, I still have the pain in my lower right side and still passing blood and tissue..

I would be interested in your thoughts - especially if you or anyone else suffered from eating items difficult to digest, if my body's reaction to what I ate is common, and, what you know about colonoscopies in relation to relapse...
Again, thank you,
Sharon

amyc
Long Time Contributor

Postby amyc » Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:19 pm

I would ask your doctor to run another C diff test before I agreed to doing the scope. If you get another negative and your symptoms don't stop, maybe a scope is a good idea.

Obreezy
New User

Postby Obreezy » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:26 pm

I would recommend anyone who is considering getting a colonoscopy immediately after finishing treatment to hold off unless it’s for a good reason. I finished my round of dificid, and my doctor scheduled me for a colonoscopy 4 weeks later “to see why I keep getting it.” The conoloscopy flared up my IBS so badly that I had to miss school the entire next week, and I absolutely thought I had a recurrence. Luckily the test results came back negative. I’m about 4 weeks out from the colonoscopy, and feel much worse now than I did before. Really hoping this won’t be what causes another relapse!

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”