Colonoscopies

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
Mzperx
New User

Re: Colonoscopies

Postby Mzperx » Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:14 pm

I have a different question about colonoscopies. My sister last September-October had chronic, persistent, watery, yellow diarrhea for about a month, like 8+times a day. She was treated by a gastro doctor and colonoscopy was performed, biopsy was taken, and she ended up with an IBS diagnosis, signs with resolved (?) microscopic colitis, and had to take PPI. Her issues has resolved a lot, but still, after a year later, has like BM 3-5 times a day. Not WD, but loose stool, sometimes constipation, color back to brown, but she says that she generally feels OK, this is normal for her. She is also lactose intolerant. My question would be that if it had been Cdiff, would the colonoscopy have detected it? Her stool sample was tested beforehand, but she doesn't remember whether it was tested for toxins and doesn't have the evidence of the lab work. She also has no clue if she had taken antibiotics prior. I'm worried bc here the general attitude is that like only elderly people get Cdiff as HAIs, so I'm not sure that the standard testing included searching for Cdiff toxins.
I know about the no medical advice rule, but can an IBS flare up cause a diarrhea this persistent and long?
Some added info: my grandma died indirectly of Cdiff this June, she contracted it in the hospital during treatment for a severe leg injury, and I have been very, very anxious ever since about my family and friends contracting this awful illness.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:41 pm

If they did not test for c difficile, then it could have been overlooked. If your sister is still having problems, she could have all stool tests run again to see if she has any kind of pathogen. That is what I would probably do if the symptoms keep returning.

Mzperx
New User

Postby Mzperx » Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:45 am

Thank you, Beth.
I am a bit confused: pseudomembranous colitis, which can be seen on colonoscopy, is the severe form of Cdiff? So not all Cdiff infection is ps. colitis but can lead to it?

My sister says that she has had BMs with this frequency and looseness (3-5 times a day, not WD, but loose, sometimes with periods of constipation) for years, this is perfectly normal for her, and the GI said it's IBS with signs of microscopic colitis. Besides that 1 month period last year, she doesn't have constant WD, but flare ups when too much stress is in her life. But 1 month D seems too long for a flare up.

(I'm really, really sorry for all the maybe stupid questions, but I'm prone to anxiety and loosing my grandmother and getting to know about Cdiff messed with my head big time. What you suggested (to run the tests again) is what I would do too, but since it's technically not my medical problem, not my gut, all I can do is looking for information. My family doesn't seem to be concerned at all, I can't even make them remember the worst offender antibiotics' name...)

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:47 am

The answer is yes, severe IBS can have these symptoms.
That does not mean that is the correct diagnosis but it may well be and if so, there are medications that can be used to treat and she can inquire about them.
If your sister is concerned she can get a second opinion but if she has had this her entire life it may well be severe IBS. You can look it up on line and read the description.

Mzperx
New User

Postby Mzperx » Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:06 pm

Thank you, Rita and everyone for answering. Thank you for all your work and help here, really appreciate it.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Fri Sep 27, 2019 1:51 pm

Mzperx,

Your sister is lucky to have u for an advocate.

As everyone said, IBS is common after c diff. I still have bouts of it but fewer and less severe. If she becomes worse, she should see her doc. See the three day rule.

The Three Day Rule: Don't be alarmed by mild symptoms unless you have three "bad" days in a row or if your symptoms become drastically worse. In this happens, call your doctor. Please remember, this is just a guideline, AND NOT MEDICAL, to use when you panic after one or two bad days and think, "Oh, IT'S back." It doesn't always apply, but what does with C. diff. ? It's a variable and frustrating disease.

Thx for the thx - always appreciated.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”