Pepto Bismol

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
mach1320
Contributor

Pepto Bismol

Postby mach1320 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:49 pm

Hey,

So im a little irritated I made sure to get my test to the lab in time last night yet the GI office said they had no results back yet when i had called and try back tomorrow and they would send a note to the lab if need be.... I may call the lab myself but i doubt they will tell me.

So my question, whos had a doctor tell them it was ok to use some pepto while they had their c diff ? I dont know that I even do, and would like to assume i do not right now and hopefully just have a nasty norovirus. I've missed two days of work now and really need to get back there. Did have D twice today, but that was all and it was a slight improvement from the last 3 days so hey thats good i guess. Work is an hour drive each way, I'm thinking about getting some pepto as a precaution, I know this is not a medical site and nobody is to give medical advice so I'm just asking who has been told its ok to use some pepto if really needed during their infection ? I cant find an exact straight answer on here but it seems like from what i have seen pepto is given an ok and immodium has not.

Bobbie
Administrator

Re: Pepto Bismol

Postby Bobbie » Tue Feb 17, 2015 6:09 pm

Beth has used Pepto off and on for years, but as you said, this is not a medical site so we don't give mediccal info. - personal experience only.

Call the GI's office right now and ask about Pepto. I used Imodium so I could work and have a somewhat normal life but some docs. think it is a "no no." Pepto did not help me. My doc OKed Imodium at the time, but testing was not as sophisticated as it is now, and he thought I had IBS.

I am sure Beth will post this evening.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:34 pm

Yes, more than one doctor has told me that using Pepto was ok, even when I tested positive for c difficile. After an FMT I tested positive about 7 months later and was having D and doctors told me to use only Pepto and not start vanco again. It worked. I had a low grade relapse and it helped me. I did not take huge amounts though. I took some with my 3 meals. I think a teaspoon or so each time, if I remember right. Later on, I was on a very low dose of Pepto for a few years. I just recently stopped using it last August. I only use it as needed now.

mach1320
Contributor

Postby mach1320 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:04 am

beth22

Thank you, I'd picked some up last night. I'm doubtful this is a relapse but if so it adds some comfort since I only have today and two more days until the weekend during which i can let my body do whatever it needs... Really hope its just a bug and passes through.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”