Lingering nausea in 11 year old after C.diff

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
groovy22
Brand New Poster

Lingering nausea in 11 year old after C.diff

Postby groovy22 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:46 am

Hi everyone,

My 11 year old had C.Diff this past June. It went on awhile b/c her ped's kept telling me it was just a kid GI virus and sometimes the diarrhea can last a very long time. So it went on maybe a month? She was treated in June, in July she was confirmed (retested) to be C.Diff free. She STILL has nausea. The nausea started only after the C.Diff. She has it daily particularly at night. She's been tested for food allergies, Celiacs, has had a endoscopy, tried reflux med's, now she is on peppermint capsules. Basically they've said it's not affecting her growth - she's gaining height and weight and she's going about her activities normally so they don't want to treat it. B/c a daily med isn't safe and tested in children and most are way stronger than a kid like this needs. That is fine, I don't want to overmedicate her either. I just want to KNOW is this from the C.Diff??? She was NOT like this before! her GI Dr. dismisses this theory. If it is, I'd just love to know how long it will last? Will it ever go away? Is there anything (non medication) we can do? She takes Florastor too. Any dietary changes? She already doesn't eat dairy b/c she's lactose intolerant and she eats mostly GF b/c her sister has Celiac (originally we all thought her C.diff was celiac like her sister!). She's tried going 100% GF, that didn't help. It really seems to have started with the C.Diff. I'm just looking to find out from others that have had it what she is feeling? Is this symptom real and not all in head? (As the doctor is making us feel!)

Thanks!

roy
Administrator

Re: Lingering nausea in 11 year old after C.diff

Postby roy » Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:55 am

Just a hint!
Check the florestor ingredients
I am sure someone here posted that It contains LACTOSE!
If she is truly lactose intolerant then that might be enough to cause nausea!

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:40 pm

I just checked and there's 33mg of lactose in each 250mg capsul
That's about a third of a slice of cheese
Google "lactose free S.Boulardii" for an alternative

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:53 pm

Some people had lingering nausea after c diff. I had it off and on, not every day, but I'm sure someone else who did will see and post. What I did get was elevated pancreatic enzymes and when I had that, I got nausea. I assume that her pancreatic and liver enzymes have been checked. Others had issues with gall bladder after c diff. It could just be that her system got very irritated from the c diff and from the medication to treat it and it will take a while for her to heal. However, Florastor is a yeast and yeast products can give people nausea. Roy mentioned the lactose content as well. Maybe it would be a good idea to stop the Florastor and see what happens. You can try a probiotic that is suitable for lactose intolerant people. There are some out on the market - at health food stores or vitamin shops.

groovy22
Brand New Poster

Postby groovy22 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:02 pm

Thanks for the ideas!

I just asked her and she informed me she hasn't taken the florastor in months except when she was on abx for strep and I was after her to do it. Little stinker, LOL!! She said she just got tired of taking them about Nov. (She used to have some dairy free ice cream and dump it in there....I assumed since she kept eating the ice cream she was still doing it but I guess not!) So it probably isn't the florastor.

She has had bloodwork and it all came out normal.

I am just baffled. I hate to tell her it's all in your head we just cannot figure out what it is and her GI is basically done with her and said we don't need to come back for 4-6 months. She's not under stress, she doesn't have anxiety...I'm confused.

megan2
Regular Contributor

Postby megan2 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:22 pm

It does not sound like it has anything to do with c diff. My daughter gets nausus often when she feels under stress. I think you should look into her stess level or anxiety maybe she is keeping something inside.

groovy22
Brand New Poster

Postby groovy22 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:31 pm

Meg,

I thought it was stress and anxiety, she even quit gymnastics in an effort to make sure it wasn't stress (b/c she certainly was stressed with that) but she INSISTS it is NOT that. She says if that is the case why did it start with the diarrhea and C.Diff and she never ever had it before? She actually gets angry when I suggest this, LOL!

Thiscrapscrazy
Regular User

Postby Thiscrapscrazy » Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:55 pm

I also have had nausea since day 1. I was diagnosed in November and still get bouts of nausea most days. It's not usually full blown nausea like I'm about to vomit though...it's a nagging nausea feeling in my throat that makes my mouth water. It does not interfere with life, even my running routine is not affected. I eat regular meals even wit the nausea. Anti nausea pills do not touch it. More annoying than anything! I've heard bananas are natural tummy soothers... Good luck! Can't imagine a child dealing with this. Best wishes.

groovy22
Brand New Poster

Postby groovy22 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 4:06 pm

Thiscrapiscrazy - that is EXACTLY like her!! She goes to school, she does her sports, she eats, she does everything otherwise normal but she says she always has nagging nausea. I actually think that is why she notices it most at night, b/c she's finally still and she notices it more. This is why her GI Dr. doesn't want to investigate or believe her anymore b/c he says if it was really bad she wouldn't be able to do all this stuff normally. She says she does b/c she has no choice, it's always there.

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Mon Jan 19, 2015 5:00 pm

I am 2 months post C Diff after 10 months of treatments. I still have days of nausea and IBS symptoms. The one thing that has helped with the nausea is"Seabands". I believe they do have them in childs size and they have them at most pharmacies. They are simple wristbands with a pressure point and I were them often. Might be worth a try!
Hope she is feeling better soon!

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Mon Jan 19, 2015 5:17 pm

We all feel better when we are occupied. Sea bands might be a good choice, and an 11 yr old might think they are cool. Definitely worth a try.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 5:40 pm

When I was about 9 or 10 I had lingering nausea too and my pediatrician told my mother it was all in my head. It turned out I had an overgrowth of yeast in the intestines and/or stomach and was treated with Nystatin tablets and it went away. Have you had her stool tested for yeast? It might be worth doing.

Thiscrapscrazy
Regular User

Postby Thiscrapscrazy » Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:49 am

I've heard seabands work wonders! I notice mine more when I think about it too. Nights and lunchtime are worst for me. The wierd part is that the nausea meds don't work at all, very frustrating. Also... I think we are so sick for so long, it just becomes our new normal. A day with tolerable nausea is a good day compared to day spent in bed! Sad by true :/

seekingcure
Long Time Contributor

Postby seekingcure » Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:59 am

I used sea bands several years ago when I was on Byetta for diabetes and I stayed nauseated all the time. They do help tremendously and they come in cool colors for kids. Definitely worth a try.
Bea

getwellsoon
Long Time Contributor

Postby getwellsoon » Tue Jan 20, 2015 7:02 am

I was the opposite, woke with nausea every morning. It has slowly dissipated but still get it some mornings. I think just the healing process takes a long time so she might have to wait it out. I do notice if I eat too much sugar or carbs before bed it makes the nausea worse. Hope the seabands help her. I take promethazine when it is bad but that makes you really drowsy so I try not to take it. Hope she feels better soon.
CAROL

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”