I definitely think I have post-infection IBS

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

I definitely think I have post-infection IBS

Postby Lisa33 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:40 pm

Today is exactly 4 weeks since my last Vanco was taken. I tested negative for c-diff 2 weeks ago, but have thought I was relapsing at least 3 times. My recovery has been a roller coaster. I have not had what I would call a normal bowel movement since before this all started in September. I seem to have problems mainly in the morning. I tend to go up to 3 times during the early morning hours. Sometimes the mornings feel like I did with c-diff. Usually as the day goes on, the urgency goes away and I'm pretty much feeling good. I will have a couple of bad mornings, and then I'll have a day like today where I felt good this morning and had only one BM. It was a great day, until tonight when I think I found out I can't tolerate a large amount of salad or maybe the apple vinaigrette that was on it. About an hour later, I got severe cramping and had a BM. This was the first time that I actually had bad pain. I am thinking that I do have a post infection problem. I go for a colonoscopy on Jan 12th, so I will find out if anything is going on. I am so nervous that I have an underlying condition. Maybe the c-diff brought something out. My stools are always on the loose side, yellowish and thin, and it makes me worried. I don't think I have active c-diff because I feel good as the day goes on and some days are better than others, and I tested negative 2 wks ago. I pray that it's gone for good. I know that this roller coaster in recovery seems to be the norm, but it's just frustrating and scary. I just dread the mornings and feel like I'll never have a normal BM again. And, I'm tired of obsessing over poop! :-)

Bobbie
Administrator

Re: I definitely think I have post-infection IBS

Postby Bobbie » Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:58 pm

You might have IBS. The symptoms are similar to C diff. See CDI - Three Day Rule and CDI - IBS. For most, IBS eventually subsides. The colonscopy should give you some answers. Be sure to be off C diff meds for 10 to 14 days. Use a heating pad for pain and cramping. You sound as though you are having a normal recovery but I am not a doctor. Always follow your gut feelings. You know your own body.

Stop looking in the toilet and go out and have some fun.

teresajo103
Regular Contributor

Postby teresajo103 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:54 am

Lisa...

I am so sorry you are having problems. Looks like we started this adventure around the same time. I am on my 4th round of antibiotics. I started this round on Monday but I am already feeling better I think. The d has slowed way down. Are you on probiotics? I am taking vsl #3 and I think it makes the gas more pronounced. Maybe since this came on us at the same time, we can be done with it this time. Here's hoping you are never going to have this problem again and you are feeling better soon.

Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Postby Lisa33 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:38 am

Thanks Bobbie and Teresajo.. I am taking 2 VSL-3s a day and eating yogurt. I just ordered Florastor online. I am going to try and see if that helps, since I've read such good things about it. Recovery is not as easy as I thought it would be. Even though I tested negative, I'm still very worried because I just don't feel normal. I pray we are just done with the c-diff and it just takes our systems time to heal. If I could just skip the mornings, I actually would feel somewhat normal. I don't know what's with me and the morning. Does anybody know if IBS is worse in the morning?

Also, I have been following the 3 day rule. It seems that I'll have 2 or 3 bad mornings and then have 1 or 2 good ones. I do think that normally I tend to have a nervous stomach in the morning, so that may be triggering my problem. It does seem that the mornings that I have to get my daughter ready for preschool and go to work are worse. Maybe I'm over analyzing everything. I need to take Bobbie's advice and stop looking in the bowl. It's so hard to not obsess over it because it's just not normal yet. This is such a mental illness as much as it is physical.

Thank you so much,
Lisa

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:23 am

A huge proportion of posters say they feel worse in the mornings.
I previously suggested that its because your gut empties overnight, there's no other time of day that you don't eat for 8-12 hours!
Try setting an alarm and snacking midway through the night, nothing heavy.
If it works after a couple of days it will be worth it!
If not all you have lost it an hours sleep.
Just my opinion but I think the theory makes sense

getwellsoon
Long Time Contributor

Postby getwellsoon » Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:28 am

Unfortunately the mornings are usually the worst for IBS sufferers and post CDiff. I guess since you digest your food overnight and most people have their BM's in the morning that is going to be the time when we have the most problems. I know I did but I can say after a while it does get much better. After 3 yrs. I am mostly back to normal bm wise, which I never thought I would get to. I have other issues but that aside I'm so thankful to feel so much better after fighting for so long. I was on meds for over a year for relapse after relapse and finally Dificid cured me. You will get better and you will get your good mornings back. Hang in there and hope today is a good day.
CAROL

Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Postby Lisa33 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:02 am

Thank you all so much for the advice and reassurance. Maybe I'll try a snack before I go to bed because unfortunately I'm the type of person that once I wake up in the middle of the night, I can never fall back asleep. I also don't have an appetite when I first wake up. I have to be up for awhile before I can eat anything. I know I have issues. :-). I think my anxiety will be better once I have the colonoscopy. This waiting is so frustrating, but I thought it was best to wait until my colon healed a little after the c-diff before having the test done. But jan 12th feels like an eternity right now! I just pray there is nothing wrong.

Thanks for all your support,
Lisa

mirah
Regular User

Postby mirah » Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:05 am

I can relate to your ongoing issues as well I have been recovering from cdiff and post flagyll since late October and I have all sorts of issues. I wake up between 3-5 am every morning because my intestines are rattling. By 7 am I am done with the toilet and can go to work. As a result I am not getting enough sleep.
This week I have some very scary developments in my stool but I don't think it's cdiff since my cramping is getting better on the whole. Anyway I'm going to the dr next week and will check with him.
By the way there is a blood test for post infectious IBS although I'm not sure why we need a test to tell us what we already know...

Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Postby Lisa33 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:07 am

And Carol - I'm so glad you are feeling pretty much back to normal after all that time. It must have been so hard to battle c-diff for so long and then go through such a long recovery. But you beat it, and you eventually got back to normal. That gives me a lot of hope that there is a light at the end of this tunnel! Thank you!

Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Postby Lisa33 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:12 am

I didn't know there was a blood test, Mirah. I have to ask about that. Your symptoms seem identical to mine, except mine start at 530am and I'm usually done by 8-830. So crazy! I hope your new symptoms are just part of this whole recovery weirdness! I pray we are all feeling well soon!

Thank you,
Lisa

Krysda
Brand New Poster

Postby Krysda » Thu May 03, 2018 10:08 am

I am 7 months post cdiff and can definitely relate to the morning IBS. Had to start working from home and leave an awesome career job making lots of money for it, too. Another commentor mentioned it being worse on days you have to work or prepare kids for school. Definitely true for me. I home school my little one now because even though I test negative for cdiff, the morning IBS was draining me and making us late every morning. I did read from an article, which I can't locate at the moment, that said that IBS can hit hard in the AM, not just for post c-differs. It recommend hydrating to help. This stops it for me on demand, usually. I keep a bottle of water or coconut water at the bedside and hydrate as soon as I open my eyes or feel it coming. Also, I noticed getting sufficient rest helps wonders. And I don't do well with eating late in the evening before bedtime. These 3 things- hydration in the AM, resting plenty at night, and no late night eating before bed, drastically reduced the morning 'incidents' for me. I had to make serious lifestyle changes to accommodate it though, with a 2 hr commute to work one way each day. it was my career or my health. I know it can be hard so best of luck and blessings to all of you.

mach1320
Contributor

Postby mach1320 » Fri May 04, 2018 8:35 pm

Post infectious ibs is likely, may encoubter SIBO as well. I’m on year four and ibs still has me, 2017 was my best year since infection but some recent stress/anxiety really set things off for me

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Sat May 05, 2018 8:45 pm

Krysda,
Welcome to the site. Please read the first thread on rules for posting.

You have responded to a 4 year old post. Please check the dates on posts before adding/responding to them. There are many more recent posts on the same topic and your input will be more likely to be read. Often posters on these old posts are no longer active and will never read what you have to say. Feel free also to start your own new topic/thread if you would like.

Sorry that you are suffering with PI IBS. It is very disruptive to your life. I have dealt with it for many years, since c diff.
FYI- if you have been reading other posts on PI IBS and SIBO you will find that there are many new meds that can help with this and make your life easier.

Best of luck,
Rita

Medena
Contributor

Postby Medena » Sun May 06, 2018 12:40 am

They say the bms happen mostly in the morning because you lie down as you sleep and the intestines rest, once you stand up after a long period of lying down, the waste and foOd will start to move towards colon, filling it up and giving you urgency feeling and need to empty our. Most of us I believe, and I know that's my case for sure, after surviving cdiff have bms chronically on the softer side even though negative for cdiff, probably because of lack of bacteria diversity, which makes urgency more.. Well urgent lol

Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Postby Lisa33 » Mon May 07, 2018 11:53 am

Wow, this was my original post in 2014, only 4 weeks out from my last vanco! I can tell you that the IBS did go on for quite some time for me. After a year or so, it became bouts of IBS and definitely wasn't affecting me as it did the first year in recovery. It is now 2018, and my last bout of IBS was probably over a year ago. Things DO get better! Although it may not feel like it in early recovery, you will see improvement. The PI-IBS will have a lessor effect on your daily life with time. As Rita said, there are meds that can help with IBS. My GI had recommended an OTC supplement called IBGard. Fortunately, I never got to try it, as the IBS subsided. But some posters have tried it. There are prescription meds also out there for IBS. But I am proof, that things do get better. I can tell you that c-diff and IBS is definitely not at the forefront of my life anymore as it was when I wrote this post.

-Lisa

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”