UPDATE! ALSO PRESCRIBED AN ANTIBIOTIC. SCARED!

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
dawn813
Regular Contributor

UPDATE! ALSO PRESCRIBED AN ANTIBIOTIC. SCARED!

Postby dawn813 » Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:10 pm

UPDATE!!
The probiotic was NOT the cause of my heart fluttering. My heart is skipping again and seems it may be related to an untreated sinus infection I had back in July 2014 and again in August of 2014. This is what my dr told me and I am currently taking "CRINGING AS I TYPE" an antibiotic to see if my heart calms down. Doxycycline. First day (today) is two 100 mg pills then one 100 mg pill for the next 8 days. I am also taking saccharomyces boulardii and eating alot of yogurt, cottage cheese, sour cream and drinking some Keifer. Hoping this will not produce a relapse. I have to do what I have to do but it is scary! Please keep me in your prayers!

Does anyone have any information on doxycycline? From what Ive found, its not a big offender in cdiff relapses. I took it for a long time, years ago, for Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever. I took it for about 4 months because I had alot of complications.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: UPDATE! ALSO PRESCRIBED AN ANTIBIOTIC. SCARED!

Postby beth22 » Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:52 pm

I took it in June for 10 days. The first 3 days I took two pills and then one only, like you. I checked with the ID doctor and he said it is one of the least offenders. I actually felt better with my intestinal issues when I was on it because it used to be used for SIBO before Xifaxan. I took a Z pak after the doxy because it turned out that I had whooping cough and the doxy is not for that. The Z pak was a little hard on my intestinal tract, but I kept taking probiotics too. However, it was when I started the Z pak that my heart started fluttering, and that one can cause it. The doxy did not.

dawn813
Regular Contributor

Re: UPDATE! ALSO PRESCRIBED AN ANTIBIOTIC. SCARED!

Postby dawn813 » Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:49 am

Beth,
I am so glad to hear that you took it sucessfully. The dr. wanted to prescribe azithromycin (z pak) but it causes my heart to flutter as well (great to have MVP isnt it Beth?). So he prescribed the doxycycline. Seems like my stools are alot better for some odd reason since starting the doxy. I loaded up on probiotics the day before starting the antibiotic. I am continuing the saccharomyces boulardii one a day but am not taking the ultimate flora as it makes me feel horrible with bad headaches and just generally miserable (the reason I stopped taking them a month ago thinking I was overdosing on them!) I am instead eating yogurt twice a day, cottage cheese and sour cream to get my probiotics as well as eating beans and oatmeal which are good for building good bacteria. Hope this goes well. Ill keep you posted!

How are you doing Beth? Any results from the holter monitor and your cardiologist?

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”