Alternative Medicine

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
Blinggal
New User

Alternative Medicine

Postby Blinggal » Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:11 pm

As anyone used any alternative medicines treatments? I'm not saying that antibiotics and other traditional treatments aren't needed but didn't know if anyone felt like an alternative treatment helped. I'm looking into options even for the future to try and a avoid antibiotics as much as possible in the future.

I appreciate any replies!

mandy
New User

Re: Alternative Medicine

Postby mandy » Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:41 pm

Hi Blinggal! This is a great question, I would love to hear some alternative ideas myself.
One thing I did when I had oral thrush from my Flagyl treatment was to mix 1/2 tsp liquid benadryl with 1/2 tsp Maalox. You just swish, gargle and spit out, 2-3 times a day for a few days. My thrush was gone in a day and a half! I really wanted to avoid anti-fungals as I read they can also cause C Diff. So happy this worked instead.
Although, if we can avoid antibiotics like we hope, thrush won't be a problem in the first place!

Also, some have recommended taking D-Mannose at the first sign of a UTI. Can be helpful if it is caused by E Coli. It decreased my symptoms but didn't clear it up altogether, needed Macrobid for that. But some say they have success with it.

Wish I knew more, good luck to you!

Misscshell24
Long Time Contributor

Postby Misscshell24 » Tue Nov 04, 2014 12:46 am

Alternative medicine treatments for c diff? For c diff a friend of mine beat it without medication. He used a 400 billion probiotic for 5 days, then a 100 billion daily probiotic, and took oil of oregano every day. He said it took him a month and a half of this every day. So he recommended this to me. However, I was not so lucky. Everyone is different; What works for one, might not work for another. He also just had D as his main symptom and didn't develop any food intolerances. Where my main symptom has been severe, constant, daily pain, so I took the medicine route. After my first round of vanco, I took oil of oregano daily and the probiotic regime he recommended and had another positive test three weeks later. I've also read contradicting info on here about grapefruit seed extract, but have no personal experience or knowledge about it. Just thought I'd mention it, if you wanted to look into it. I've also was a bit about digestive enzymes.
Michelle

mandy
New User

Postby mandy » Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:14 pm

Hi Misscshell24, Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but I thought the OP was looking to avoid antibiotics in general, not for the treatment of C Diff, but to avoid it if an antibiotic is needed in the future. Not sure though?

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”