DIFICID

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
Suchapunim
New User

DIFICID

Postby Suchapunim » Sun Oct 26, 2014 12:44 pm

Dificid

Postby Suchapunim » Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:42 am - I am posting this here so that Suchapunim can get more responses.

I am am waiting for test results for a possible second c diff infection. I have been prescribed a brand new very expensive med, Dificid. I was told told to hold off taking the med until the test results come back. Any one else taking this med and how is it working for you?

Suchapunim
New User

Re: DIFICID

Postby Suchapunim » Sun Oct 26, 2014 3:24 pm

Thank you Beth. Feeling alone out here.

getwellsoon
Long Time Contributor

Postby getwellsoon » Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:15 pm

I took Dificid for recurrent cdiff infections over 2 yrs. ago. It is what finally cured me. I was able to finally get a negative test after this med. I found it hard to take, I had a lot of gas and felt very ill. It took awhile before I began to turn the corner. That said, many sufferers have taken it and had good results faster and no side effects. I hope when you take it you can also beat this infection and don't have any side effects. I also had very bad IBS post Dificid so don't be surprised if that happens. Those symptoms can mimic Cdiff but aren't usually as severe. Let us know how you do on the med. You aren't alone, we are here for you. This disease is can make you very anxious so I know how you feel. Try to relax and hopefully the Dificid will make you well.
CAROL

seekingcure
Long Time Contributor

Postby seekingcure » Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:16 pm

I never took Dificid myself. I just wanted to let you know that there is an assistance program for Dificid if you qualify. Here's a link to their website.

http://www.dificid.com/dificid-rx-assist
Bea

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Mon Oct 27, 2014 2:37 pm

I am currently on a taper pulse dose of Dificid. I had taken the 10 days and had no symptoms but C- diff returned after 14 days.

I then went on a second 10 days and still taking the taper dosing which has been around 6 wks. I had no symptoms first time around, but have been having a hard time with IBS and currently just working through it. There are days I felt very ill on it and days it has not bothered me.

I have read so many have done so well with this medication that I have great hope this will work for me.

Wishing you the best!!

Misscshell24
Long Time Contributor

Postby Misscshell24 » Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:01 pm

I just finished a 10 day course of Dificid a week ago today. I am waiting a few more days to test to see if it worked. I did a post in cdiff questions that kind of reviewed my 10 days on it. Like others said, it's not an easy med to take for some. I had nausea, pain, and an awful feeling. I don't know if it was from the cdiff, Dificid, or something else. I just got through the 10 days by repeatedly telling myself, it will be worth it if it works. And for how much it costs, it had better work! Like also mentioned, there is an assistance program that I talked with that were very nice and helpful, luckily my insurance covered it with no copay.
Michelle

learnallyoucan
New User

Postby learnallyoucan » Mon Oct 27, 2014 6:37 pm

My grandfather was cured of c diff with the help of Dificid this past winter after Flagyl, Vancomycin and Rifaximin all didn't work so I have a high opinion of it.  Also, from articles I've read it seems to be a better drug than Vancomycin in two important ways:  it's bactericidal (kills the c diff) while Vanco is only bacteriostatic (inhibits the growth of c diff) and it's narrow spectrum (targets c diff more specifically, leaving good bacteria alone) while Vanco is more broad spectrum and can harm good bacteria. (see http://www.uptodate.com/contents/clostr ... #H15770649 and http://health.usnews.com/health-news/fa ... -infection). In those articles Dificid is called Fidaxomicin.

learnallyoucan
New User

Postby learnallyoucan » Mon Oct 27, 2014 6:48 pm

Oh I forgot to mention my grandpa didn't have any side effects from the Dificid either, which for someone his age is saying something I think. I hope that helps you feel better. He tried so many c diff drugs and Dificid really did turn out to be the best one of the bunch.

GCTrailRunner
Contributor

Postby GCTrailRunner » Tue Oct 28, 2014 6:38 pm

I just finished my dificid (10 day course) yesterday. Today I feel extremely bloated and crampy. Gosh I hope it worked. So scared of having a recurrence. As far as cost goes. I found a non-profit organization called assistance fund.org they helped tremendously. What was supposed to cost me $950 ended up costing$10. As you all know, having this illness can/will cost well over $2000. At least for me it has. Really hoping the dificid did the job. Good luck to you.
Gloria

MJsSupport
Contributor

Postby MJsSupport » Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:30 am

My partner MJ finished a 10 day course of dificid 14 days ago. We are still crossing our fingers and hoping, as she has done pretty much everything else over the past year with no success. Her Doc felt that statistically speaking Dificid wasn't worth trying, but after reading folks accounts of success here, I was able to convince her to let my partner try it even though it's not a covered drug in our plan. The Doc even got the pharmacy to wave the regular fee and we ended up
Paying just $5 for it, our normal drug co-pay. Although it will be awhile before we'll know if it's worked for MJ, I am hoping it has (for obvious reasons), but also because I'm hoping the Doc will start looking and learning outside the box called "statistics."
I wish you well, and I truly hope it works for you. MJ had no particular side effects, but she's been under siege for a year, so it's hard to tell if her complete exhaustion is due to the med or the fact that she's been fighting c-diff for over a year now.
Good luck to you!
Nora

getwellsoon
Long Time Contributor

Postby getwellsoon » Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:33 am

So glad it worked out for MJ with the Dificid. Now the waiting begins to see if it worked. It might take awhile before she feels better, I know it did for me and I also fought CDiff for over a year. Please keep us updated as to how she does and I will certainly keep her in prayer that she has a complete healing and begins to feel much better soon. YOu take care of you also, you are a wonderful advocate for your partner.
CAROL

Blinggal
New User

Postby Blinggal » Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:36 pm

I'm starting my third round of Dificid today. Like others have said, I had some gas, bloating and pain. It wasn't horrible. Hopefully it will work first go around for you!

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”