UTIs

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: UTIs

Postby beth22 » Sat Oct 18, 2014 2:24 am

Bobbie - Did you get any results yet? There is also the Uva Ursi tea that my mom used to drink. It helped her a lot.

Anne - I was just near where you live last month with my daughter, but only for a couple of days. I hope that it turns out to be mild and I will say a prayer as well. Went to Pearl Harbor years ago, but was out at Hilo Hattie's this last time and ate at Zippy's near there when we got off the plane. Hopefully none of the islands will be hit hard. Let us know.

seekingcure
Long Time Contributor

Postby seekingcure » Sat Oct 18, 2014 11:59 am

The UT Vibrance that I have taken when I had a UTI (not for prevention) also contains Uva Ursi. It does help, but has some side effects, so read up on it before trying. It is not to be used more than occasionally.
Bea

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sat Oct 18, 2014 12:35 pm

My mom just drank the tea. It came in leaves that you strained with water - it was not mixed with anything else and she would drink it every day for a short while, like a week maybe, until symptoms subsided.

justme
Long Time Contributor

Postby justme » Sat Oct 18, 2014 5:31 pm

Regarding green tea: It's really big here in Hawaii and they even have it iced in cans mixed with lychee and other fruit. I don't think it's sold on the mainland, but you can ice it yourself and add fruit flavoring. One thing about green tea that a lot people don't know is that you can't brew it very long - 1-1/2 minutes tops. The longer you brew it, the more bitter it gets. Even after 1-1/2 minutes it is so light that it looks like slightly colored water. Lipton has a green tea with peach flavoring that is very good (I had some this morning). If it helps with UTI's, it's worth having a daily cup or two.

Regarding the hurricane: Right now at 11:30 am Hawaii time, it is 200 miles SSW of Honolulu and we only expect to get the edges. It is very humid and getting dark, so it's coming anytime. It is still a Cat. 1 because there is a bit of a wind shear from the northeast keeping it from strengthening. Two hurricanes in one season hitting the islands is a record. Hopefully, this is the last one for now.

Aloha to all,
Anne

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sat Oct 18, 2014 10:36 pm

For some reason, NanciT, many of us who had C. diff. are prone to UTI's.

Read some more info. on UTI's - Vit. C. supposed to help - as Bea suggested but no more than 500 mg supplement - can cause diarrhea - and we don't want that!!! Also wash your undies in hot water. Haven't done that since having active C. diff. Hate to ruin more but????

Keflex is a biggie. See CDI - Antibiotics. I am lucky I can tolerate Macrobid but might have developed a resistance to it -have been on a preventative dosage for years. Two years ago, I had a UTI not caused by E. coli and took ampicillin - developed C. diff. again - after being free of it for almost 10 years.

Feel better.

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:13 am

Thank you for all the info Bobbie. I hope your test was negative and you are feeling better,

I wash everything in HOT water and even got rid of my new(3 yrs old) front loading washing machine 2 weeks ago. I had been in a battle with Bosch because it had MOLD in it....finally started wondering if that spore was in there!! Just went and bought a new set.

I know the Keflex is a concern but the culture showed it Sensitive along with Cipro....which I cant take...it started this nightmare. Just praying the Dificid will work but I am getting worried. Everything seems to be loose right now although it is the right color, just live in fear its returning. My husband is being tested for FMT tomorrow, we are trying to set things up just in case as I taper down.

I will review all the info on the UTIs....we suffer so much with this terrible thing and then get a common infection...also will try the Vit C.

Thanks again

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:44 am

NancyT, there is more info. in CDI re. UTI's. I've had three bouts of C. diff. - all linked to antibiotics for pneumonia (twice) and a UTI.

FMTs seem to be the best and most permanent answer for C. diff. My husband was my donor. Check out the FMT forum. I've listed people who are willing to be contacted for info. about their FMTs. I can also help with info.

Let's hope the Dificid "does it" but best to be prepared. Dificid helped Carol, one of our moderators and Anne, who used to be a moderator, and others who have posted on the site. Best to have Plan B, however.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sun Oct 19, 2014 2:58 pm

Ann, thanks for the information. I think I will look for the green tea with peach flavoring. Do you get the D caffeinated or the regular tea? Teabags or leaves? Glad that you have been safe so far and pray it will continue.

I PMd Wen to see how she's doing but have not heard back.

justme
Long Time Contributor

Postby justme » Sun Oct 19, 2014 5:55 pm

Bobbie: The Lipton green tea with fruit is not decaffeinated, but green tea has less caffeine than black tea. There is nothing indicated on the box one way or another as to whether it is caffeinated. It is in tea bags (I never use the leaves - too messy for me). As for Hurricane Ana - so far she is behaving nicely and is traveling south of the islands. We've experienced very little wind, lots of rain, and nice cool, overcast conditions. It is actually quite lovely giving us a break from the sweltering humidity of a tropical summer. She is moving very slowly - only about 6 MPH.

I haven't heard anything from Wen either. Let me know if you hear back.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:31 am

Spent the day drinking water and green tea in between going to church, exercising, running errands, and fixing dinner.started Vit C. And do course spent lots of time in the bathroom.

If I am not chugging down fluids, I am swallowing another pill or peeiing. Next step is to wash my "unmentionables" in hot water - thus ruining more clothes.

Thx. For info on flavored green tea, Ann, and for Ester C, Bea.

Wen is OK. The hurricane missed her,but she is still sick and is going to ask for another test. She is planning her husband's memorial on Nov. 1. What a tragedy

I have an early morning meeting and I am not an early morning person so better go to bed. Hope everyone has a good week.

justme
Long Time Contributor

Postby justme » Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:46 pm

Bobbie:
Your day sounds a lot like mine (except for church and my husband does the cooking). Between drinking water constantly, a stricture, and the diuretic, I spend more time in the bathroom than any other room in the house. What is an IC? Is that a type of cystitis? Somebody mentioned that was a problem you had and why you avoid cranberry juice. I can't drink it either, or take the pills. It irritates my bladder (and/or urethra) as does anything with citric acid. I've also noticed that fruit that didn't bother me before C. Diff like nectarines and strawberries are even too acidic for my system to handle now. When I was in the throes of C. Diff and on Flagyl, I tried to replace the fluids I was losing by drinking Gatorade and/or Ginger Ale and I got a terrible case of very painful cystitis. Unfortunately, this is also the case with Vitamin C supplements. I just take the amount in my daily vitamin.

Regarding green tea. I just looked at my Estrovan daily supplement I take for hot flashes. Aside from black cohash, it also contains green tea.

Thank you for the news about Wen.

Aloha,
Anne

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:40 am

Ann, your husband cooks? Definitely a keeper.

Not a good day. We lost the first game of the World Series - big time - my dog has more health problems, and tomorrow I have an appointment with my uro. I drank water and green tea all day. Soon, I will float away.

Have to clean my dog's teeth - end of a perfect day. Poor thing. He is almost 11 and a sweet dog and good companion.

justme
Long Time Contributor

Postby justme » Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:51 am

Bobbie: Let us know how your appointment went. Hope it not a UTI.

Pets are wonderful companions. We have a 6 year old Russian Blue cat named Charlie (Chuck) for short. He is a big boy (17 lbs.) and a rough neck. He has a problem chewing wires and we're worried he'll get a shock one of these days, so we spray them with Habenero sauce. I always tell people if you want a dog who evacuates himself in a box - get a male cat. We tried to brush his teeth - it didn't go well. We let the vet do it.

And . . yeah my husband loves to cook. Aside from Mexican food, which I can't eat anymore, my menu options are limited. I clean, he cooks - it's a great deal.

I checked out the Novels for November site. I just may try it.

Take care and good luck with the test.
Anne

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:57 pm

Went to both the dentist and the uro. this week. Wore me out. I have my teeth cleaned every 3 months and have to be careful about keeping my mouth squeaky clean afterwards or I' get an infection in my mouth.

Uro said I no longer have a UTI. He did not want to do a culture. In fact, in the past he told me to tell other doctors not to do a culture if the first test is OK. I don't know why. They worked me in so he was in a hurry. I wish I had listened to him because the first test on Dec. ll, 2011, was negative but my PCP did a culture anyway - which showed a bacteria called proteus mirabilis. (It can cause kidney disease.) I asked for another culture which showed the same bacteria. Because I am allergic to Sulfa, she treated me with ampicillin - which I was concerned about - with good reason. I called the uro but he was out of town. It caused my third case of C. diff. after 12 years of being C. diff. free (with IBS 9 of those years) I had a FMT the following May - which "cured" the UTI (was on Vanco) but left me with IBS which I still have.

The uro. said to drink all the water I can - am supposed to measure my output for 24 hours. That sounds like fun. So I am drinking water and green tea and trying to forget about C. diff., UTI's, etc. I trust this uro (as much as I can trust any doctor) but always tell people to have a culture for a UTI and usually do the same. I am also taking D. Mannose and a probiotic. Bea, the uro said not to take Vit. C because it's too acidic. He thinks a lot of my problems are due to IC. I am going to call his secretary next week ask about for more info. The PCP I saw originally (who said the lst test and the 2nd showed infection) said he would treat me with fosfomycin (Monurol) if the macrobid didn't work. (It's a one-time antibiotic.) The uro said it could cause C. diff. Who do believe?? (I've had UTI's without symptoms and a clear first test three times - only symptoms fatigue.)

Looks as though we are going to get a blog after I set up a false account to see if Alvin can link them together. We are definitely "down" on posters so maybe this will help. Frankly, I enjoy my time off the site. l6 years is too long, and I am burned out.

Ann, hope you are doing well, and the hurricane missed you. I haven't heard anymore from Wen. Hope you do the "Write a Novel in Nov." It's fun.

Have a good weekend, everyone. We are doing "Trunk or Treat" at the church.

How about those Royal!!!!

seekingcure
Long Time Contributor

Postby seekingcure » Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:06 pm

Having IC complicates things even more for you. The cranberry and Vit. C both seem to help me, but I don't have the added issue of IC. You might try Primadophilus Optima Women's 90 billion probiotic or Renew Life Vaginal Support. They are both pretty pricey, but they are supposed to help specifically with women's issues, including UTI's. The idea is if you keep the bacteria balanced in the vaginal area, it helps to prevent UTI's. Be aware, though, that both of these are high-potency probiotics; so, if probiotics tend to bother your GI system, they might not work for you.

Good news that the Uro says your infection is gone. You must have "washed" it away. My sister was able to clear one recently with just d-mannose. I've never been able to clear an active infection with that alone, but it worked for her. D-mannose, along with everything else I'm doing, is working as a preventative for me so far. I haven't had to take an antibiotic since last October, other than my nightly low dose of Macrodantin.
Bea

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”