Just diagnosed today with cdiff

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
IsThereReliefInSight
Brand New Poster

Re: Just diagnosed today with cdiff

Postby IsThereReliefInSight » Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:21 am

Ok so here is an update....

My PCP originally prescribed 125mg of vanco 4 times a day for 10 days.. however, after speaking with the infectious disease doctor this is what he prescribed...

Week 1 & Week 2: 125mg Vanco 4 times a day
Week 3 & Week 4: 125mg Vanco twice a day
Week 5 & Week 6: 125mg Vanco once a day

I am hoping that this works. has anyone else done a regime like that? Also another kinda werid question- so i am taking florastor twice a day, womens ultimate flora once a day and also VSL3 once a day. My stool is still rather orangey/yellow/light brown. I had one stool that was a darker brown which i believe is my "normal". I dont know if i feel like it is completely gone because thats the same color its been even when i was on the flagyl.Or im wondering if its the probioitcs that may be causing the color? I dunno Its solid but soft and kinda expands when its in the toliet.... sign. im sorry for such graphic details. I know from nursing school that, that color usually means its been pushed through the digestive track rather quickly and hasn't had enough time to absorb the bile salts which would change the color to a darker brown. However, i am going once sometimes twice a day which is much better than going 15-20 like i was in the beginning!

dawn813
Regular Contributor

Postby dawn813 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:57 am

That sounds like a good plan of action. I know when I was taking Vanco, my stools were orangey color as well. This is normal (as normal as is possible with this infection!) Vanco worked for me after 5 courses of flagyl failing and many relapses. Also, being on so many probiotics, can cause the looser, mushy type stools. I was taking Jarrow s. boulardii twice a day (same as floraster) and ultimate flora 15 billion twice a day and it caused me alot of symptoms with my bm's like urgency in the morning and very loose, sometimes mushy stools. When I stopped them 7 months after testing negative, things firmed up and calmed down. But right now, you will most likely need the probiotics, especially while on vanco to help restore your good gut bacteria. This is all just my experience and I am in no way a medical professional or giving you medical advice. Just sharing my experiences.

I will be praying you recover soon. So sorry you are going thru this horrible ordeal. We all on here can sympathize with you.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:44 am

vanco turned my stools that color too. After I had an FMT, they got darker. Actually, when I first stopped the vanco, before my first relapse, they got better too.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”