Flagyl and FMT

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
C2Difficult
New User

Re: Flagyl and FMT

Postby C2Difficult » Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:55 am

Sarah, that is great that you are doing better! I will have to try the kefir. I've read a lot about it and when the time came to ask my doctor about it I completely forgot what it was called, so I'm going to email him sometime this week and ask if he'd recommend it before or after the flagyl (I wouldn't wanna waste drinking it if the stuff was just gonna get cleared out by antibiotics). As of right now I don't think the FMT is even going to be necessary, aside from the flagyl side effects I'm definitely feeling better. I do have constant gurgling though so I can imagine there's WW3 going on with all of whatever's in my gut, it certainly sounds like it. I've been trying to eat a lot more than the last round of flagyl and I'm timing my doses more around 8 hours apart and I definitely think one or both of those factors have made the antibiotics more effective.

Right now I'm just really scared of PI IBS. How bad is it usually and what are some steps to take to help the gut heal? I don't think my case was as bad as some, but I'm sure there's been some damage because I waited so long before I got diagnosed. I'm thinking about having one last meal and then going straight to the BRAT diet because I'd like the healing process to be as speedy as possible, I'm really set on a good summer and a clear head before going back to school. Maybe even summer classes if possible! I'm not as worried about relapsing because my doc reassured me I could go ahead and get the FMT.

And one more weird question, does anxiety make it worse for anyone? Sometimes I'd get anxiety about having to run to the bathroom in a given situation and surely enough my stomach dropped and I'd have to go. Is this normal?

Thanks for all the responses! Hope all is well for you guys :)

getwellsoon
Long Time Contributor

Postby getwellsoon » Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:27 am

Sarah, Just curious as to why you state you will relapse if you take ATX again. While I know this is more likely for we sufferers of CDiff I didn't think it was a given. I had a horrendous case of Cdiff, was hospitalized, and relapsed for over a year. I am almost 2 yrs out from meds now and my Drs. say we will just have to see if I relapse if I ever do take ATX. He also said he would not give me Vanco at this point along with the ATX. So just curious if your Dr. told you something different than mine did about relapsing. I always was told you might and you might not. Hope you are doing better now. Carol
CAROL

C2Difficult
New User

Postby C2Difficult » Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:46 am

Hey guys! It’s been a while, but I got some good news today and wanted to post an update.

I took vancomycin and went on with my life for a few years, then tested positive in the summer of 2016. I met with another doctor in my gastro office, presented my case as to why I NEEDED the FMT, and he agreed! I had my FMT that summer via colonoscopy and as I didn’t feel 100% the next day, I’ve gotten progressively better. Still had D, couldn’t eat certain foods, typical gut problems which was diagnosed as IBS. My IBS is much better but I still am not back to “normal” or how I was before I contracted c diff. I’ve had anxiety that revolves around my stomach issues, and of course, about whether or not my D was from IBS or a relapse.

I see a nurse practitioner at the office that has become my guardian angel over the past few years. She gets my paranoia and has me keep a sample cup at home if I ever want to retest for cdiff. So today I got those results back, and I got my first negative result!! I kind of knew it was gone, but now I have confirmation and it feels as if this chapter of my life is truly at an end. My IBS is controlled by Imodium and amitryptiline (also great for my anxiety :) ) and I am living and loving life again.

I think the FMT is more available now, and if you’re reading this as a current c diff sufferer, I urge you to go out and get one. It saved my life. Thank you all for giving me a community of people who understood when nobody else did, and I hope all of you are doing well. Here’s to the next chapter!

With Love

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”