New to forum but not to C Diff

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
Jaxdave
New User

New to forum but not to C Diff

Postby Jaxdave » Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:35 pm

Hi all. My C Diff history is as follows. About 10 years ago I was given two different antibiotics to try to clear up a lung infection. A few weeks later I got my first C diff infection. Given Flagyl twice but came back. Then given Vanc and that did the trick. Became very cautious about taking antibiotics. Then last year I had a diverticulitis flare up and had to take cipro and flagyl together. Well this gave me another bout of C Diff but was cured with a round of Flagyl. One year later, another diverticulitis flare up and being weary of Cipro I asked the Dr if I could just take the Flagyl. He said yes So I proceeded to
take the 7 day Flagyl treatment but it did not fix the diverticulitis, so I took the Cipro Flagyl combo again. Ten days after finishing, C Diff back again. Started on just Flagyl but switched to Vanc after stool sample came back positive. Took 10 day Vanc prescription and 11 days after finishing....problems again. Took Flagyl again and 5 days later...the beast was back. I am on Flagyl again until my latest stool sample comes back (should be sometime today) at which time I will push for Dificid and possibly tapering. I don't think anyone that has not had this beast can really understand the terrible effects...pain, diarrhea, not being hungry and the worst thing is the depression effect. I have lost over 20 lbs in the last 3 months between the diverticulitis and the C Diff. Thank you for this site as it does give people with this terrible disease some vital information and encouragement. Hoping to get my life back...Dave

Jaxdave
New User

Re: New to forum but not to C Diff

Postby Jaxdave » Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:56 am

update..test came back positive and doc has prescribed Dificid and VSL3. Have been on Flyagl for 4 days and can't stand the side effects so hopeing the Dificid is easier on the body. Any experience out there with Dificid side effects?

pinkangel
Regular Contributor

Postby pinkangel » Sat Feb 01, 2014 4:55 pm

Hi! I am on Day 6 of Dificid. I was treated previously with 7 days of flagyl 3 times a day then Vanco 125x 4 for 10 days. The relapse after Vanco recently was pretty painful and rough with 19K wbc and fever. I also am hoping this works. My first day of Dificid and the next morning were pretty bad. My stomach was burning bad and extremely nauseous, burping a lot and BM with a little B. I felt really sick.. I wonder if it was because it was killing the Cdiff and I was getting rid of the toxins. On day 2 early evening the nausea had passed, felt better and stomach cramps were not there. Day 3 -5 I have had slight nausea off and on but not too bad. I have been eating very plain foods. I have some mild gas,burping, heart palps and slight fluish feeling but a lot better than I was. My BMS have decreased a lot and the worst symptom of cramps are almost completely gone!! I never had this with the Vanco. I was cramping every day while on it and after it across the very low part of my stomach . It might have been too low of a dose.

I took schiff digestive advantage gas formula ( bacteria coagulens) 2x a day the first 4 days and now I am taking the Florastor. I wanted to wait to make sure I did not see B anymore to take it. I also am taking some pepto bismol each day. I read a study online it can help with cdiff when taken with other things like juices. Now I am not sure if this is correct but I thought I will try it. Hopefully this will cure us. Several posters have had success with this drug and that leaves me hopeful.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sun Feb 02, 2014 2:20 am

There have been several posters here who relapsed many times with c diff and Dificid did the trick for them and the c diff did not come back. I am sure they will post soon. A few were not successful with the Dificid and some of them got FT and were helped by that. Dificid can give some IBS type symptoms, but not to everyone. Each person reacts differently. Flagyl is also hard to take for many. You will just have to see how it goes and hopefully it will get rid of the c diff for you. Let us know how you do.

getwellsoon
Long Time Contributor

Postby getwellsoon » Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:34 am

I had a hard time taking Dificid, gas, D etc. but it did finally cure my CDiff after over a year of Vanco. I had severe IBS and still have some symptoms but am finally getting better after 2 yrs. off Dificid. Some people sail through, others like me, have a hard time of it. I had CDiff for a year so that might be why it was so hard on my system. I hope the Dificid cures you like it did me but it might cause some IBs symptoms during and afterward so be on the lookout. Good luck and keep us posted as to how you do. Carol
CAROL

urrosebud
Regular Contributor

Postby urrosebud » Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:53 pm

I battled cdiff for at least 7 months that I know of. Every time I was treated with Vanco, even a LONG vanco taper. I finally tried Dificid and have been negative since. I have to say I did MUCH better on the Dificid then I did the vanco. I could actually function. I still have a lot of issues though being from IBS and gallbladder removal. There IS hope! Hang in there. I hope this works for you!!! You are not alone.

Amber

Jaxdave
New User

Postby Jaxdave » Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:49 am

Have been finished with the Dificid for 2weeks. Was looking good until yesterday when my morning poop had a small bit of mucus at the beginning. Poop later that day looked OK. Then this morning my bm was very loose....am very concerned. Have been continually taking the VSL#3 at 6-8 tabs a day and drinking Kifer and avoiding anything with sugar. Took a 50mg capsule of Oil of Oregano this morning with my probiotics (had the oil of oregano but haven't been using it). I will watch my BMs and let you guys know. God I really hate this as I just retired this year and this is no way to spend your retirement.

getwellsoon
Long Time Contributor

Postby getwellsoon » Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:00 pm

As long as you feel good I wouldn't worry about a little m or a few loose stools. You will know if you are relapsing, you will be very ill. If the loose stool continues check your diet. Also, see if you are allowed to take a little pepto, it always helped me. IBS is common after CDiff and also after Dificid so don't panic. You can treat all the symptoms that come up and with time the colon will heal. Let us know how you do. Carol
CAROL

urrosebud
Regular Contributor

Postby urrosebud » Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:34 pm

Carol is right! I know far easier said than done but try not to analyze the poop. Mucous from what I understand is very common with IBS.

Honestly, the road has been rather rocky for me and I suffer from pretty severe IBS to the point that even 4 months out or so, still test to be sure it isn't cdiff. Not only is it a physical struggle but very much a mental struggle. I had the water D so much of the time despite negative after negative cdiff tests. I'm finally managing it but good grief, what a journey and I'm sure it's not over yet. Hang in there, listen to your body. If you need to test, test and don't feel bad doing so. I have loose stools quite frequently but just grateful I'm managing the watery D that left me cuffed to the bathroom.

Your not alone. The waiting game stinks but you'll know.

Take care and if you have any questions, feel free to pm me.

Amber

Jaxdave
New User

Postby Jaxdave » Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:38 pm

had another BM around midday and it really looked great...best in a while. Then another BM around 3:30...did not look quite as good but had many smaller formed poops and a bit of mucus. Talked to Dr this morning and picked up Vanco yesterday in case things got worst. Had a lunch of a meatball sub from Firehouse (for the meat) and had some sauerkraut with it) and took another Oil of Oregano cap with a Primadophilus Reuteri probiotic cap. Have been taking VSL#3 for a while with a florestor once in a while. Dr. wants me to do the Vanco for 10 days followed by Xifaxan 550 mg (rifaximin) for 14 days. Any experience with this combo? I will have t make a decision to start this or not ...depending on how things look in the next 24 hours or so.

Jaxdave
New User

Postby Jaxdave » Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:27 pm

48 hour update...still have not started the Vanc as the mucus has mostly stopped (was coming out yellow then clear whitish without any poop) then seems my bms are formed or soft formed. Went 3 times today and all were either formed or soft formed and not much mucus. Not feeling great but did some yard work and washed the car. Do have an appetite and still taking probiotics, Kifer, and 1 oil of Oregano each day. Have gas at night. Seems like my flora is battling the C Diff for control. Will wait til Monday and then ask Dr if I should test again. Have been off Dificid for 17 days.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”