Learn to love Sauerkraut...

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
Chrisums
Regular Contributor

Learn to love Sauerkraut...

Postby Chrisums » Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:48 pm

You hear people talking about how sauerkraut can be a probiotic so it's probably good to take with C Diff... today I found out just how much those people were understating the worth of this tasty(ish) food.

TRUE sauerkraut (whether homemade or store bought, though the only store bought that I know of with active cultures is Bubbies... I'm sure there are others) contains the 299v strand of Lactobacillus Plantarum. This particular strain, according to the Nation Library of Medicine's Pubmed, is proven to be effective against CDAD. I've looked around at some of the big name probiotics and I'm not seeing L plantarum being mentioned on them. So, my suggestion? For those who haven't, now is a good time to consider adding some sauerkraut to your diet! The good ones will need to be refridgerated, to avoid the vinegar and preservatives that can kill the active cultures, so poke around the cold food sections of your local grocery store and see what you can find! After everything most of you have been through trying to fight this horrid disease, eat a few spoonfuls/drinking a few sips of sauerkraut juice can't be near as bad.

Does this make it the miracle cure some people taut it to be? Seriously doubtful. But does it make it worth a try? Well, I would certainly say so!

Source for info on 299v L Plantarum: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18840110

Important line in the source: "RESULTS: Colonisation with C. difficile was detected in 19% (4/21) of controls but in none of the Lp299v-treated patients "

jeannieology
Regular Contributor

Re: Learn to love Sauerkraut...

Postby jeannieology » Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:09 pm

I eat it every day. That and KimChi. I also found a coconut water at Whole Foods in the refrigerated section with that bacteria in it. In fact, I just had some.

Also, in the middle of the night, I have my husband wake me up to take my probiotics -- I drink down my Florastor with sauerkraut juice -- Bubbies in fact. Bubbies has pickles too and is really really good not that overly tart stuff. It's delicious.

Miso soup is also good.

J

AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Postby AllisS » Sun Oct 21, 2012 12:13 am

All of the exhortations about adding this, that, or the other to one's diet, advisories to adopt a probiotic regimen (though there is no clinical-based evidence that they help, notwithstanding their massive monetary value to the companies that manufacture them), and so on, can start to seem daunting. I don't want a life that's dominated by an obsession to sanitize every square inch of my home for invisible "spores" or by long lists of fermented foods that should be enlisted in the c. diff battle, based only on the rationale that these efforts "can't hurt." It CAN hurt to feel constant pressure that one isn't doing enough, or doing all that conceivably could be done, to "beat" c. diff. In another few years, or maybe longer (depending on how long it takes FDA and other empowering agencies to start facilitating truly effective treatments rather than impeding them), we will likely look back on all of these anecdotal, homespun remedies as relics of The Dark Ages of c. diff treatment.
If your illness was preceded by use of a medication, e.g., an antibiotic, please fill out an FDA Adverse Event Report at http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/default.htm

gm37
Long Time Contributor

Postby gm37 » Sun Oct 21, 2012 12:40 am

AllisS,
You are new to c-diff. Those of us who have relapsed over and over again for several years, who have lost jobs and homes, lost time spent with loved ones, or watched loved ones die from this disease may seem a little obsessive about methods to help us heal. I hope you recover quickly so you do not have to search out new remedies.
There are other support sites on Facebook or the Peggy Lillis Foundation. Good luck to you.
Anne

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sun Oct 21, 2012 3:57 am

Chrisums - The probiotic that I take - VSL#3 contains lactobacillus plantarum. It is one of the few probiotics that halfway agrees with me, but I take just a small amount. It also has 7 other strains.

getwellsoon
Long Time Contributor

Postby getwellsoon » Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:59 am

AlissS, Since you are new to CDiff and to the board I don't think you understand how long and hard most people on here have suffered. There actually have been studies on some of the things that people have recommended. My Dr. specifically told me take Probiotics and Florastor has been shown to be effective in some cases. Anything that can help the colon re-establish its flora has got to be good and yogurt has been said to do this. I don't understand why you would come on a board that is specifically to help people cope and to pass on info. and try to say these things won't help etc. Are you trying to make these suffering people feel worse? If you don't agree then post why but don't make a blanket statement that we are harming people here. We are trying to help. I think you taking away hope from people is doing harm and wonder why you would do that. We don't pressure anyone here, we relate what works for us, what makes us feel better, what doesn't. I think this site is a special place and I know it saved my sanity and gave me tons of info. We can't and don't give out medical advice and always tell people to check with their Drs. before they try something someone says worked for them. If you feel the way you do please feel free to not post but don't denigrate other peoples posts and make them feel bad because they might take some of the info and try it. Drs. don't know that much about CDiff so I don't know how you can post and say something doesn't work. Please remember very ill and desperate people come here not so much for a cure but to find comfort in knowing they are going through something that we all have and are still around. They are desperate to know they will get well and you saying such and such doesn't work takes away their hope. Please stop doing that and I hope you defeat your CDiff. Maybe then you can post some happy info that worked for you and it will help someone feel better. What better way to give back. Take care. Carol
CAROL

AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Postby AllisS » Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:29 am

getwellsoon, gm37, and others: The last thing on my mind, in my posts, was to "[try] and make suffering people feel worse" or to "make a blanket statement" that people are being harmed by their relating what has worked for them. I, too, have suffered with this illness, though I can make no claim to a long duration (and didn't presume to do so). Having read hundreds of the posts and not being an insensitive person, I think I DO have a sense of what others have gone through. And I DO realize that probiotics have been studied, found to be useful by many, etc. I did NOT say that probiotics or other measures would not help. I was merely wanting to convey (1) my own view that there is a difference between anedcotal vs. evidence-based measures, (2) my feeling of being overwhelmed by all that one *might* try, and (3) a cautionary bias, on my part, toward critical thinking -- and by critical thinking, I did NOT mean attacking the ideas of others but rather weighing what is presented as objectively as possible, which can be hard to do when feeling ill and struggling to maintain hope and equilibrium. Clearly I failed dismally, as I have gotten several responses questioning my motives and otherwise castigating me (one very hurtfully and personally). I had been excited to discover this site some weekes ago and have found much of interest and of possible help with my own situation. I will likely not post any more responses beyond this one (hold applause!), as I am deeply dismayed at the reaction my earlier posts provoked, which only worsens my own despair. My wishes for others' recovery are heartfelt and uncomplicated. The way that I expressed myself was perhaps too straightforward and quirky for this forum. Personally, I value a diversity of voices and viewpoints ... but if there is a litmus test for "tone," then I seem to have flunked it. BTW: I like both sauerkraut and kimchee and think it'd be great if they turn out to have secondary, healthful effects. And, I have tried a number of probiotics. And, I would try any number of things if I thought they would prevent another recurrence (I'm not the complete novice with c. diff that people seem to have assumed; I stumbled upon this site not by accident but out of desperation at a diagnosis that completely blindsided me). This illness, its not-long-duration-so-far in my case notwithstanding, has been traumatic for me -- and I'm someone who has experienced other massively distressing events, including cancer -- so my yardstick for "traumatic" is not a short or shallow one. ... If there is anything further that anyone wants to tell me, I'd much appreciate your doing it via PM. Finally: I wish everyone on this site the most complete, incident-free recoveries possible.
If your illness was preceded by use of a medication, e.g., an antibiotic, please fill out an FDA Adverse Event Report at http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/default.htm

gm37
Long Time Contributor

Postby gm37 » Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:07 am

God bless and good luck to you.

amyc
Long Time Contributor

Postby amyc » Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:25 am

I think sauerkraut and yogurt taste nasty :). That's why I take the VSL#3 and another probioitic I had to order from Canada because it's not available here. I'd wonder if cooking the stuff would kill the bacteria--and cold sauerkraut ... shudder. That's just me, of course. I'll look into the Bubbies pickles. I love good pickles.

Jeannie, how are you doing? Have you spoken with Dr. Brandt?

jeannieology
Regular Contributor

Postby jeannieology » Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:02 pm

I wrote via email. He was out of state. I'm doing better physically, but I won't know how I'm really doing until I'm done with the taper.

Psychologically and anxiety wise -- I'm not doing so great.

As for the sauerkraut...the Bubbies tastes good...it's not tart like other sauerkrauts.

getwellsoon
Long Time Contributor

Postby getwellsoon » Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:36 pm

AlissS, Please feel free to continue posting if you feel you can get support or feedback from others. That is what we are here for. Your statements were a little off putting but, as you state, maybe you did convey your statements in too quirky a way. It was perceived as attacking some of the very things people claim to have worked for them etc. We only wish for a respectful sight, respectful of peoples feelings being foremost. You did state someone could feel pressure and could be hurt if they didn't feel they were doing all they could from the info they read on here. We Mods take the job seriously and if we ever thought we were hurting people it would be devastating to us. I think this is why you got some blow back but know you are quite welcome to keep posting if you so desire. I do hope you are right in your statement that all these homespun remedies will be relics and a vaccine or cure will be available to the people on here. CDiff has profoundly changed most of our lives and we are hanging by a thread waiting for a cure. Anyway, I do wish you the best and again, if you desire support we are here. Be well. Carol
CAROL

Kathy George
Long Time Contributor

Postby Kathy George » Sun Oct 21, 2012 2:01 pm

Actually, I really like you style of writing and your informative viewpoints. A few unenthusiastic responses to your post should not warrant absenteeism from this site. I actually thought your viewpoints were well written and well received. We have thousands of members on this site and not everyone is going to have the same opinion all the time. At times less is more and that is what actually occurred in regard to your post. It’s quite obvious additional unenthusiastic responses would have occurred if, in fact, the majority of posters were offended. Keep on posting!!!!! Kathy
I ask not for a lighter burden, but for broader shoulders.

AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Postby AllisS » Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:27 pm

Kathy George and getwellsoon, thank you for your encouraging words and your kindness. I very much want to remain an active participant on the site, especially as it is beginning to look like the Vanco that I finished two weeks ago may not have worked, which, if the case, would mean that I'm now entering my second recurrence. I will keep in mind what you have both said re: future postings. Not my wish to offend anyone, even unintentionally ... though I will almost for sure question things at times. I appreciate your reaching out to me in the way that you did.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:18 pm

I would encourage you to post as well. This is a support group and that is what we try to do here for each other - offer support. People have different viewpoints and it is good to be able to hear different voices. It is not always easy to phrase something just right and when people are sick, they are also extra sensitive, at least I am. We always try to word something so that it sounds positive and encouraging. It is not the purpose of the site to give medical advice as we are not doctors, so we try and simply relate what our experience has been. After reading many, many posts, I have learned that what works well for one person, can be just the opposite for another. So, for that reason, we always tell people to check out the information with a doctor or practitioner that they see first. I hope we can offer you some support and maybe you can do so as well for others. With any luck, we will all be posting in "success stories" before long. Sorry to hear you may be relapsing. Hopefully not.

Kathy George
Long Time Contributor

Postby Kathy George » Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:17 pm

AllisS, You are unique!!!! Don't change; be yourself!!!!! Hey.....That's what I do best!!!!! Yes, I do think before I post, but to be quite honest my answers are specifically goal oriented. My goal is to provide encouragement, wisdom, and understanding of this particular disease. I always address each post with honesty and frankness, coupled by discretion. I’ve been kicked to the side line on a few occasions, but I always managed to pick my self up. Keep us up to date on your C-diff status!!!!
Kathy
I ask not for a lighter burden, but for broader shoulders.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”