New Member Post FMT nutrition questions

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
MissyM
New User

New Member Post FMT nutrition questions

Postby MissyM » Fri May 27, 2022 5:34 pm

I just had FMT via colonoscopy two days ago and I am trying everything I can to ensure success. I have been dealing with antibiotic induced c-diff since December 2021. Two rounds vanco including a 4 month taper yielded no results so I found a doctor to do FMT. I am looking for advice on diet and nutrition. Has anyone found help with a dietician? My doctor seems very skilled at the medical part but I cannot get information on nutrition. So much is contradictory on the internet and I have been unable to find a dietician that specializes in diseases of the gut. Can someone give me a reliable source (website) or method to find an expert? I appreciate all the good information I have found thus far on this site, I am trying not to let this take over my life but I am living in constant fear of doing the wrong thing. Thank you!

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: New Member Post FMT nutrition questions

Postby beth22 » Sat May 28, 2022 1:27 am

My GI has dietitians that he recommends and I finally, after many years spoke to one and she told me some things that were useful in terms of diet. Everyone is very individual in what they can and can't eat. I know generally insurance does not cover a consult unless you are diabetic. You might try calling a hospital and see if there are any on staff that do consults. Or ask your GI if he can recommend one for you.

MissyM
New User

Postby MissyM » Sat May 28, 2022 10:17 am

Thank you for that direction. I will try the doctor and hospital for a referral after the holiday (3 day weekend). Last night I had a glass of wine and salad (raw veggies) for dinner and I am not feeling as good as yesterday. Some cramping and other today, I am so worried that I blew it. I wonder could I be back where I started this fast? Did I destroy the good flora that fast? It is 3 days since FMT, does anyone know if its normal to go a little backwards in terms of how you feel?

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Sat May 28, 2022 3:09 pm

Hopefully your symptoms mentioned in your other post are down to your VERY poor choice of wine and salad!
Both will put extreme pressure on your poorly gut.
It's usualy several months before anyone can tolerate salad and even longer for alcohol.
Most go on the BRAT diet for a while then introduce a very small amount (a spoonful) of a new food one at a time.

MissyM
New User

Postby MissyM » Sat May 28, 2022 9:09 pm

Yes, I hope you are right. I was not given that advice, I was only told not to eat fast food which I never do anyway. I hope to find a dietician, I just don't know how to get my veggies in until then. BRAT does not offer much in the way of nutrition. :(

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sun May 29, 2022 1:17 am

I could not tolerate raw vegetables. Only cooked. I suggest you eat cooked for a while. Rice, potatoes, pasta were all good. I did not have a problem with red meat, but some do. Chicken, turkey and fish are good choices too. Go easy on sweets and I would not try alcohol for quite a while.

MissyM
New User

Postby MissyM » Sun May 29, 2022 5:01 pm

Thank you, Beth, I am going to slowly try some of those options. Per your earlier advice, I am also going to follow up with the doctor and try and get a referral for a dietician. I appreciate your input.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Mon May 30, 2022 3:29 am

I personally think that the leafy greens like lettuce , spinach are the hardest to digest even if they are cooked .Definitely don't do anything raw so soon in recovery , it cannot be digested properly because of the lack of bacteria and their enzimes required for the digestion. If you want fiber in your diet you can cook your vegetables , you can have oatmeal porridge witch is a great source , bananas etc. Proteins are the most tolerable :meat grilled , boiled , roasted etc , fish , eggs , hard cheese (like cheddar),butter ,yogurt if you can tolerate it. And , no alcohol!

MissyM
New User

Postby MissyM » Mon May 30, 2022 9:35 pm

Thanks Georgina. I just hope I haven’t ruined everything. I feel like I’m going backward and it’s only been 6 days since my FMT. I wonder, can it fail that quickly?

Claudia8
New User

Postby Claudia8 » Sun Jun 19, 2022 6:03 pm

[quote="MissyM"]Thanks Georgina. I just hope I haven’t ruined everything. I feel like I’m going backward and it’s only been 6 days since my FMT. I wonder, can it fail that quickly?[/quote]

Hi Missy,

I had an FMT May 18th and felt wonderful the first week! The bloat was finally gone but it slowly came back, as did some uncomfortable watery bm and constipation ( typical post infectious IBS symptoms). I was treated at UCLA and the ID doctor along with the GI continuously reiterated to me that I don’t need to be on a restrictive diet in terms of eliminating dairy or gluten out of my diet but to pay close attention to what foods cause discomfort and back off them for awhile. I suffered from c diff postpartum since Oct 2021 and had been on vanco, vanco taper, Dificid, Dificid taper 2x until my Fmt. These menacing bacteria have done a number on our gut so it’s going to take awhile for the new bacteria to flourish and hopefully return our gut to “normal”.
I hope you’re feeling better and continue on the path of recovery. I’m almost 5 weeks post and keep hoping to go past 7/8 weeks as I read relapse that far in is unlikely.

MissyM
New User

Postby MissyM » Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:09 am

Hi Claudia,

Thanks for the information. Your experience is almost identical to mine except the way we contracted it (I was overprescribed antibiotics from a sinus infection). Our dates, our course of treatment and post FMT experiences are very similar so that is really reassuring what you are telling me. I think I have figured out a few things that disturb my gut by trial and error. I am now being very careful to introduce one change at a time. My 8 week "anniversary" is July 20 and I think you are a week ahead, so fingers crossed for both of us! :)

Stay well!
Missy

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”