Postpartum and Scared

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
ln86
New User

Postpartum and Scared

Postby ln86 » Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:51 pm

Hello,

I have been reading posts on the site for the last couple months but am relatively new to posting.

I am an otherwise healthy 35 year old. On Sept. 2 my second child was born. I was Strep B positive and received penicillin during labor. The hospital had a shortage of longer use catheters and had to use single use ones during labor. Both my doctor and the nurse told me they can be problematic in causing infection. Two and a half weeks later I developed UTI symptoms. I went to my dr on a Friday. She prescribed me Keflex. By that evening, my symptoms has worsened, and by Monday morning I couldn’t get out of bed. My mom had to come to call and demand they see me again — my doctor told me it was in my head. They agreed to let me come in and she gave me augmentin after determining that I was not indeed making it up and instead had a kidney infection. The next day our newborn ended up in the hospital with what ended up being a bad cold. We were in the hospital for several days. On returning home I began to have bad bouts of D. My doctor said it was just the augmentin. Over the next ten days it worsened progressively until I couldn’t eat or do anything. I finally went to the ER where I was immediately diagnosed with a C diff infection. The doctor told me it was relatively mild (I cannot even fathom what a bad case would be) and prescribed me 125mg of Vanco 4x a day for 10 days. After completing the Vanco things didn’t really return to normal but I wasn’t having terrible D. On about the 9th day, i started to feel a bit worse. My GI did a stool test and it of course came back positive for the toxin (I now know this is not recommended). The results came back a few days later, by which point I was having to use the bathroom after each meal. He prescribed me Dificid.

On day 5 of the Dificid things returned to normal completely. I am now 9 days out from completing the Dificid. Today was less normal — no D, but my GI tract felt out of order and I had a less normal trip to the bathroom both morning and night. I had a doctor’s appointment this morning with my OBGYN, which caused me great anxiety as she was the one who got me into this mess in the first place. I then had a follow up with my GI. He was optimistic but of course realistic and said it could come back. I’m not sure if it’s been nerves, or the fact that I relapsed at about this time before, or if it’s the fact I flew too close to the sun trying some avocado and butternut squash yesterday and today. I have otherwise been lactose and gluten free, have eaten only homecooked and mostly bland cooked veggies, smoothies, GF brown rice, and lean turkey and chicken. I’ve also been drinking lactose-free kefir and taking VSL3 and Florastor everyday.

I saw an ID last week. She told me to call if things became
softer even if I wasn’t having full-blown symptoms. I know the 3 day rule, but I’m nervous the weekend is coming up and I don’t want to be stranded with bad symptoms. It’s been terrible with our toddler and newborn — I feel as though I have missed the last 2.5 months of their lives.

My question is really what I should do and who I should contact. Is it better to ask my ID or my GI? Is it normal to go back to normal after Dificid and then have less normal episodes? If I do need additional treatment what should I ask for?

Sorry to seem so scattered and sorry for the very long post. I just feel so stressed. This has really not been the maternity leave I had hoped for and it’s making me so depressed. I just want to be with my husband and kids again doing normal things.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: Postpartum and Scared

Postby beth22 » Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:24 am

I would probably call the ID since she told you to call if things got looser. You might ask her if cutting down on the probiotics would be a good idea. They gave me looser stools post c difficile. It does take most people an adjustment period after c difficile and you may be experiencing PI-IBS symptoms, but I would check in with your ID and see what she recommends.

If you do need additional treatment, a Dificid taper has helped others on the site. Talk to your doctor about that. I did a vanco taper and it did not help me.

Lissaucd
Regular Contributor

Postby Lissaucd » Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:30 am

Hi there! First congrats on the new baby!!! I know this is a lot and also having a new baby no sleep etc makes it even harder. Let me tell you, I had pudding, mushy poo during and after dificid. (I too did vanco and then dificid) There is another poster on here that made me feel so much better. (Just search dificid in success stories) she had pudding poo, not formed for a long time!!!! And when she got checked, all negative. It just took a very long time to heal. Look at me now, 15 weeks after, I still have episodes of pudding poo VERY OFTEN. In fact, my second morning poo is almost always pudding and mushy(tmi) it still freaks me out and I post on here looking forward reassurance. Bland food helps me a lot, grilled chicken, rice and a little veggie. I don’t know what I would have done without the amazing people on this site.I also cut down on probiotics recently- I stopped taking Saccharomyces Boulardii ( (I can’t spell it!!) now I only take renewal ulta flora I think its called every morning. Just know, I totally understand that you are scared. I feel the same way. I think we just need time to heal and accept this happened. I have lost a lot of weight I believe from stress. I was 120 now I’m 93 pounds. (But I have always been around 93-99 before I had my daughter, but I loved being 120) I would do what you doc said and give him a quick call for update!

ln86
New User

Postby ln86 » Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:18 pm

Thank you both for your very thoughtful replies. Lissaucd, it makes me feel better to know you still have strange poos too. I was feeling so good bc they seemed totally normal so the recurrence of M has really stressed me out!

I was able to speak to my ID doctor. She wants me to do a stool test and is calling in Dificid. She also wanted me to speak to my GI because he initially treated me. He is not convinced it is a relapse and thinks it may just be PI-IBS. I was very stressed yesterday. He prescribed me an IBS drug to see if it helps and also wants me to do a stool test. I know from this site that the stool test might very well be positive. My plan is to take the IBS drug first to see if it helps before taking the Dificid again as I am not currently experiencing WD. Then, if the test comes back positive and my symptoms increase I can start taking the Dificid.

I think you are right — it takes time to heal and it is so scary. It also seems so unfair postpartum. I’ve read several of the Dificid success stories to cheer myself up and it really helps. Thank you for being so kind to me!

Lissaucd
Regular Contributor

Postby Lissaucd » Thu Dec 02, 2021 1:17 pm

Your GI Doctor said the same thing mine did- he didn’t think it was a relapse. You know who my best friend is… PEPTO!!!! I was told by many it won’t mask c diff. If it’s c diff it’s coming regardless! When I take pepto and notice my stomach calming down I know it’s the nasty Post ibs . It’s so annoying bc it instantly sends me into panic mode!! Hopefully Roy will see this post and give his insight! He is very knowledgeable regarding testing etc! You are right, it’s not fair. You should be enjoying your new baby. Try to relax today Ans watch a hallmark Xmas movie! That will be a good distraction and maybe some bland food! Also, squash and smoothies always made go soft before being sick regardless!!! May have been that!

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Thu Dec 02, 2021 4:10 pm

Pepto is what I took too. I don't do well with RX drugs. If there is a side effect to be had, I will have it. I was told to take Pepto by my GI and it helped a lot.

ln86
New User

Postby ln86 » Thu Dec 02, 2021 5:41 pm

Thank you both so much. I haven’t had anymore episodes since this morning but I’ve developed a fever and terrible chills. I filled my Dificid prescription in case things gets bad but want to wait. I actually was able to schedule a an FMT with Dr. Colleen Kraft at Emory for next Friday. However, my husband is worried I am rushing it without talking to my doctors. Honestly, I don’t want to keep going through rounds of antibiotics. The only things is that I won’t probably have my stool test results back until Monday. I also wouldn’t take the dificid for a full 10 days. I’m feeling like I should reschedule. However, I am desperate to be well and we have fully maxed our insurance this year between pregnant, my ER visit, and my son’s hospital stay. Is there a chance it will fail without 10 days of antibiotics?

Lissaucd
Regular Contributor

Postby Lissaucd » Thu Dec 02, 2021 7:37 pm

I would talk to your doctors! I’m sorry you are going through all this. Keep us posted!

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:46 am

Years ago, when FMT first became available I was instructed to take vanco for at least 4 days and stop the day before the procedure. I would call the doctor that you are having the FMT with and ask for instructions. If you need to take the Dificid for 10 days, then I would reschedule. You don't want to go through a procedure and the cost, anesthesia, etc. just to have it fail because you didn't follow the protocol. Call tomorrow and ask.

ln86
New User

Postby ln86 » Wed Dec 08, 2021 5:33 pm

Thank you both for your help with this. I spoke with my GI and he was fine for me to go ahead with the procedure. The doctor performing the FMT said so long as I was responding to the Dificid it would be fine to take it for only 5 days. So, today is the first day I am off it in preparation for Friday. I am very anxious...I keep worrying about the possibility of relapse before the procedure can take place. This FMT is by retention enema only, so at least I won't have to do any colonoscopy prep. Fingers crossed!

Lissaucd
Regular Contributor

Postby Lissaucd » Wed Dec 08, 2021 7:14 pm

Keep us posted! I’m sure it will all be great! Did the IBS meds help and did you end up getting worse?

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Thu Dec 09, 2021 1:32 am

Good luck. Retention enemas have good success too and other posters have been helped by them.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”