Mouth washes

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
Amila
Regular User

Mouth washes

Postby Amila » Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:14 pm

Hello guys,

I had C Diff almost 5 years ago, treated with Vanco. I often visit the site, because we all are left with some level of anxiety about the illness, but I also like to get updated on information about new treatments, medicines etc. People who run the site are absolutely amazing, and I could never forget how helpful the Forum was at the time ( may it never happen to me again dear God).

The reason I am posting is to ask about mouth washes in general; I saw a couple of people recently on the Forum mentioned antibiotic mouthwashes ( by prescription). I was wondering whether OTC mouthwashes can also do some harm to us? Depending on the responses here, I am thinking maybe even making my own mouthwash from mint tea and little baking soda, maybe?

Thank you all very much in advance for any kind of advice/experience.

Amila

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: Mouth washes

Postby beth22 » Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:10 pm

I have never heard of OTC mouthwashed being linked to c diff. They have alcohol, but no antibiotics. There was just an article saying that they could help prevent coronavirus (not COVID-19) that causes colds. I use Listerine twice a day and have for years. I have not had any issues.

Ali-Mar
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ali-Mar » Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:17 pm

Amila that is great that you have been C Diff free for 5 years. I had an FTM 3 months ago. I am wondering if you had any antibiotics in the last 5 years?
Male 54, contracted C-Diff on Feb 5, 2020, diagnosed on March 2nd, Took Flagyl for 8 days, Vanco for 10 days, relapsed 5 weeks post-Vanco. finished Dificid Taper on June 20 relapsed two weeks later, had the FMT on July 14th, 2020

Amila
Regular User

Postby Amila » Sat Oct 24, 2020 11:00 am

Ali-Mar,

During the past almost five years, I had to take antibiotics two times for UTI, and both times I was given, after the urine culture, Nitrofurantoin ( Macrobid). Every time I did it with fear and anxiety, and took Florastor two times a day, religiously. I cannot thank dear God enough that I was able to do this without problems. In the meantime I started taking serious measures to prevent UTI. All in all, I became, as some of the Admins here may know,
(Nancy, Roy, Beth, and some other) severely OCD and germ phobic. I am trying to deal with it, but it has been very hard. I mercilessly wash my hands when it is needed AND not needed at all. I never, ever touched lettuce since, and fresh vegetables I eat exclusively at home. If we go out, I eat only cooked food, and I never order any meat outside. This past summer when on short vacation I dared to order fresh fish, but asked them to add extra cooking time. This is really hard to maintain, it is hyper vigilance which is extremely exhausting. I am , nevertheless, trying hard to reduce anxiety and OCD, with help of my husband.

With my IBS I occasionally take Pepto Bismol, and recently I ordered from Britain a product called Silicol Gel - that is toxin and pathogens binder in the intestine , with somewhat similar mode of action as Pepto, but has no antibacterial properties, which Pepto does. It has been created by Germans, and is widely recommended across Europe as good and safe IBS medical device. I researched it thoroughly before I ordered. I even emailed the company with detailed questions, and they responded. But even with that I am very careful

All the best to you, and I wish you, and other people on the forum, speedy and complete recovery and great health.

D1dad
Regular Contributor

Postby D1dad » Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:42 am

That’s great to hear it’s been 5yrs. I had to take bactrim around a yr or so out and made it through unscathed. I also took florastor twice a day. I use listening as well and never had any issues.

lionne
New User

Postby lionne » Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:19 pm

Hi, I wanted to say that I had years of frequent UTIs until I learned from an OB/GYN that using Estrace could help. It's also called Estradiol. It's a vaginal cream you insert about every 3 days. Once I started using it, the UTIs quit completely. Now that I'm among the community of folks dealing with C diff, I'm so thankful not to have to consider antibiotics for UTIs any more.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sun Nov 01, 2020 4:39 pm

Estrace helps many, i have been on it for years.

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:46 am

Amilia, I am not familiar with antibiotic mouthwashes. There are dental rinses that are antibicrobial, and are safe, but do not contain antibiotics.
I too have been c diff free for almost 8 years now. It is possible!
But I do still wrestle with PI IBS, now controlled with medication.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Mon Nov 02, 2020 11:59 am

I was thinking the same!
Antibacterial mouthwash yes but have not heard of an antibiotic one.
BIG diferance between the two types of medication.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:13 pm

A compounding pharmacy can make up an antibiotic mouthwash. Years ago, an ENT prescribed one for me (way before c diff) and it had tetracycline and also some kind of steroid. But, I have not heard of any that are already made up. That one only lasted for a week to 10 days and if any was left, would have to have been thrown out. What dentists prescribe now is an antiseptic mouthwash. I have used that too, even after c diff. It is usually given if you have gum problems or after a tooth extraction. I had to use it when I cut up a gum pretty badly so that it would not get infected.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”