Year later test positive again

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
tarap
Regular User
Posts: 41
Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:49 am

Year later test positive again

Postby tarap » Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:12 pm

Hello all. I’m 35 female. I tested positive around June of 18 took flagyl and was fine till May of 19 tested positive. Took dificid then pos again in August of 19 did a taper and tested negative after a few times. Now today just tested positive. I haven’t had antibiotics or any ppi. Why do I keep testing positive out of the blue. All last week I was very sick which made me test. Then Saturday I felt better I had two solid movements. Today I had one normal movement and one bout of diahrea. I do have the fatigue and headache and just bla. My dr said I could be colonized to see where it goes. But I tested positive with the pcr so idk what I should think. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks in advance

LHutz
Contributor
Posts: 87
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:11 am

Re: Year later test positive again

Postby LHutz » Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:15 pm

Did you test positive for toxins? If you're having solid BMs, it seems unlikely that it's c. diff. Have you been tested for COVID? I had COVID and it wrecked my GI and I had symptoms similar to c. diff. I didn't have a fever, cough or sore throat so it took a while to figure out that I should test for COVID.

tarap
Regular User
Posts: 41
Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:49 am

Re: Year later test positive again

Postby tarap » Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:53 pm

He wouldn’t tell me if it was toxin positive. It was pcr that’s all I know. I asked which toxin and he said that’s irrelevant but it’s probably b since that is the one that causes the most issues. But no definitive answer. When I felt better yesterday I for sure thought it would be negative. I did question getting a covid test too idk.

Ali-Mar
Regular Contributor
Posts: 369
Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:17 pm

Re: Year later test positive again

Postby Ali-Mar » Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:02 pm

You dont have access to the lab’s portal to check the tes? Quest and most other labs allow you to review your tests online.

I dont think PCR is to test for Toxin. I am not an expert but I think PCR is to test for bacteria that has toxin generating gene.

The Toxin test is EIA not PCR , that is my understanding but again I could be wrong. If the dr thought you could be colonized, most likely he tested for the bacteria gene and not the toxin. That said, the Toxin EIA test is accurate only 75% of the times. The other 25% of time is false negative, see the table at the bottom of the following link
https://www.health.state.mn.us/diseases/cdiff/hcp/ltctoolkit/testing.html
Male 54, contracted C-Diff on Feb 5, 2020, diagnosed on March 2nd, Took Flagyl for 8 days, Vanco for 10 days, relapsed 5 weeks post-Vanco. finished Dificid Taper on June 20 relapsed two weeks later, had the FMT on July 14th, 2020

beth22
Long Time Contributor
Posts: 10262
Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:23 pm

Re: Year later test positive again

Postby beth22 » Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:25 pm

Many labs follow up a positive PCR with an EIA test to see if it is an active infection. I tested positive on PCR for 2.5 years, but the EIA was negative and I did not treat and it was considered a negative test. I had not tested positive in over 4 years before that, but I had IV antibiotics when I was in the hospital and then had to continue with pills for a few days at home. A month later I got D and tested and the test was positive and continued to be. But, as I said, I was told not to treat and didn't.

tarap
Regular User
Posts: 41
Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:49 am

Re: Year later test positive again

Postby tarap » Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:52 pm

Thank you for the reply. We did not do eia test maybe that is why he couldn’t answer the toxin questions. Since I’m feeling a bit better I’ll wait it out. Hopefully it was just the guacamole I ate last week. But it’s hard getting out of my mind that I had a positive test.


Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests