Need Some Positive Stories

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
Ann775
New User

Re: Need Some Positive Stories

Postby Ann775 » Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:03 am

This is a very slow process for sure. I’m going to hang in there for awhile and see if it continues to improve.

D1dad
Regular Contributor

Postby D1dad » Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:12 am

I’m not so sure you should have treated initially TBH. Roy’s kind of the expert on this one but wouldn’t have treated for anything less than what I was going through if it were to have happen again. I workout (at least I was till they shutdown the gym) everyday as well and can tell, you that when I got it I thought I was gonna die...not exaggerating. I work in hospitals and long term care facilities which is no doubt where I picked it up , and who knows for how long. I can say that the augmentin allowed it to flourish and flourish it did. If I were to test today I’m pretty sure I’d still be positive but no way I’d treat off a test result and my GI wouldn’t anyway.

Ann775
New User

Postby Ann775 » Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:26 am

I’ve been questioning the same thing as to whether I should have treated or not in the beginning. I sometimes think if I gave it more time it might have passed on its own. I probably had a mild case. But what was happening in the toilet was gross and it was happening more than 3x a day for over two weeks. So I was worried it would get worse if I didn’t treat. Live and learn. I’ll try the waiting method this time lol and see what happens.

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:08 am

Pepto won’t stop c diff nor will it hurt anything.
I had c diff over 7 years ago when Flagyl was still first line and panicked when I was having some more frequent soft stools after my treatment, which later I think was PI IBS. But I called my GI who ordered vanco. After a day or 2 I calmed down and realized it was likely not a relapse but by then he had me continue the vanco.
It is up to you what you do, but if your story sounds like mine, take it into consideration when you make your decision.
Good luck in whatever you decide.

Rita

Ann775
New User

Postby Ann775 » Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:01 pm

Thank you for your help Rita! It is definitely a constant waiting game to see what happens! I will definitely take your story into consideration and hope it’s just my system regulating everything!! I wish I had a really great doctor. I feel like I learn more on here than I do from my doctor.

Spike
Contributor

Postby Spike » Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:31 pm

Ann,

So far I have only treated once with dificid after trying to wait c diff out for two months but progressively got worse more with the flu symptom than frequency of D. I am now 4 weeks past medicine and I would say I do ok. No great but no bad. I yet to have a normal bowel movement yet but the frequency is down to 1 a day and my flu like symptoms are at mostly bay. Still have abdominal burning here and there. I think it is hard when you dont have the traditional symptoms to know if your relapsing or not. I am always wondering when it going to strike back up or not. But so far I am lucky with one treatment.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:49 pm

I was told to take Pepto by both my GI and ID. After I had FMT via colonoscopy, I got an intestinal virus of some sort about 7 months later with WD for a couple of days. I was tested and the test came back positive, but by the time the results were in, I had no more D. I was leaving for vacation to Hawaii with my family and my doctors both told me to take Pepto each day with meals. I started with part of a caplet with each meal and then cut it back to only twice or once a day. I was fine. I stopped the pepto when I got home and I retested a couple of weeks later and had a negative test. Pepto will not stop c diff if you have an active infection, unless it is a very mild one. When I had my worst relapse, I was on Pepto and it did not stop D at all. I know Imodium is not advised when you are in danger of having active infection, but Pepto I was told was okay. I have taken it on and off since then and still do if I get a bad IBS day. But, check with your doctor about dosage. I only took small doses.

D1dad
Regular Contributor

Postby D1dad » Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:54 pm

There was a few times after flagyl that I’m convinced if I hadn’t have taken pepto then who knows. I probably would have went to urgent care but within the hour it was gone. A bottle of pepto was in the fridge throughout my childhood in my grandparents house. Who knew!

Ann775
New User

Postby Ann775 » Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:04 pm

Just wanted to update, my symptoms haven’t really improved but they haven’t gotten any worse either. I’m sort of just staying stagnant. But I did finally find a GI that specializes in c.diff and have an apt with him next week. So fingers crossed he will be able to help me navigate through this confusing journey.

D1dad
Regular Contributor

Postby D1dad » Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:01 pm

My gi was one of the best and am glad although wasn’t really sympathetic. Truth be told if he’d have listened to me I probably would have taken at least a round of vanco and that would have set me back to square 1. I was told to drink benefiber and give it a couple days and every time it worked. I like to consider myself old school tough, removed nine staples from my head once to avoid the doc. Cdiff turned me into a hypochondriac basket case.

Ali-Mar
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ali-Mar » Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:55 pm

My GI also suggested a tablespoon of Pepto per day, while I was on Vanco, he also suggested Allign or VSL3 probiotic. I started with Allign, but didnt seem to help so I switched to VSL#3 two days ago. Everyone here seem to suggest Florastor. I am thinking of switching to Florastor, it is just so hard to go to any store to buy anything with the Coronavirus ...
Last edited by Ali-Mar on Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Male 54, contracted C-Diff on Feb 5, 2020, diagnosed on March 2nd, Took Flagyl for 8 days, Vanco for 10 days, relapsed 5 weeks post-Vanco. finished Dificid Taper on June 20 relapsed two weeks later, had the FMT on July 14th, 2020

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:51 pm

I don't tolerate Florastor. It gave me terrible gas and bloating and looser stools. I tolerate VSL#3 in small doses. Start with just part of a capsule and see how you do. Align did not agree with me either. When I was on vanco, it was okay, but not after I got off. VSL#3 has more strains of bacteria though. I think Align only has one.

Elvish2
Contributor

Postby Elvish2 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:31 pm

Ali-Mar, everyone tolerates different probiotics differently, but Florastor has worked well for me. Whatever you chose, start small at first. Also wanted to mention that I usually order it off Amazon because it's cheaper, and I have been able to find it even lately. So you might try looking on Amazon for probiotic options to avoid going to the store!
2011: contracted c-diff after taking Amoxicillin and Cipro. Successfully treated with Flagyl taper. (Posts under old username, Elvish)

2020: contracted c-diff after taking Augmentin. Finished Dificid taper/pulse on 3/15.

AngelNut
New User

Postby AngelNut » Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:34 pm

Ali-Mar wrote:
> My GI also suggested a tablespoon of Pepto per day, while I was on Vanco,
> he also suggested Allign or VSL3 probiotic. I started with Allign, but
> didnt seem to help so I switched to VSL#3 two days again. Everyone here
> seem to suggest Florastor. I am thinking of switching to Florastor, it is
> just so hard to go to any store to buy anything with the Coronavirus ...

I just ordered Florastor from Amazon. WalMart also has it for delivery...both were the same price
1st diagnosis 1/24/20
1st reoccurrence 3/26/20

D1dad
Regular Contributor

Postby D1dad » Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:47 am

My GI was a house advocate of philips colon health. I didn’t take until a year later and can’t say enough good things about it. The first week was kind of iffy but once my body adjusted it’s been great. No more gurgling stomach after eating and the best part is it’s cheap.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”