Antibiotics?

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
Caligirl
Contributor

Antibiotics?

Postby Caligirl » Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:24 pm

Has anyone successfully taken antibiotics post C Diff without having a relapse? I am 5 months post treatment (and plan on posting in the success stories once I hit 6 months). My one lingering thing from this horrible time is my fear of getting sick and needing antibiotics. I plan on always trying natural remedies and over the counter medicine first, but hearing that other people have had success with antibiotics will seriously help ease my fears and anxiety.

AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Re: Antibiotics?

Postby AllisS » Sat Jul 13, 2019 3:19 pm

Millions of people are able to take antibiotics post-C. diff without triggering a relapse. I'm among them. I was given several doses of an antibiotic during and immediately after hip surgery, without any problem. I was already several years out from C. diff at that point, though it's unclear whether that made any difference. I also was given a few doses of antibiotics prior to each of two kidney-stone surgeries last year, again with no problem.

Rather than avoid antibiotics altogether -- because at times they are absolutely needed -- ask questions if they're prescribed about both the necessity for taking them and the least-risky choice and dose of antibiotic for whatever the condition or illness they're being recommended, keeping in mind that risk must be balanced against likely effectiveness of whatever they're being used to treat/prevent. (Sometimes the lowest-risk antibiotic won't be a good match for a specific illness or condition.) Get a consult from a GI doctor who has experience with C. diff or an infectious-disease doctor when in doubt.

So-called natural remedies and OTC drugs aren't side-effect free. And they aren't necessarily the best choice in a given situation.
If your illness was preceded by use of a medication, e.g., an antibiotic, please fill out an FDA Adverse Event Report at http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/default.htm

D1dad
Regular Contributor

Postby D1dad » Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:28 am

What kind of antibiotics did you take Allis? The most I’ve ever taken in my life was a zpak or augmentin the latter being the cause. I work for an insurance company doing group benefits for hospital and long term care employees which would explain where I got it, but augmentin isn’t a high offender supposedly.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:52 pm

There is a list under CDI section on antibiotics , go check it out. Augmentin is a high offender!

AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Postby AllisS » Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:56 am

I don't remember what I was given. I think the antibiotic for UTI prevention during kidney-stone surgery may have been Macrobid (but I'm not sure). The surgeon had recommended something else, but after a consult with an infectious-disease doctor, something less risky (again, maybe Macrobid) was agreed upon. For many years prior to having C. diff, I was given Keflex, a wide-spectrum antibiotic, for occasional episodes of suspected cellulitis in my arm and hand. I never had a problem with Keflex. It was clindamycin following a tear-duct surgery that caused my C. diff infection.
If your illness was preceded by use of a medication, e.g., an antibiotic, please fill out an FDA Adverse Event Report at http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/default.htm

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”