Curious

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
AnxiousJ
Regular Contributor

Curious

Postby AnxiousJ » Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:37 pm

I am three years post infection and so far for the most part, I am doing ok. I tested negative several times a few months after I was treated and now have mild ibs. Ever since the infection I have used the bathroom in our master bedroom exclusively. I had my husband use the kids' bathroom but a few months ago he started using it every so often. I still use the bleach spray after bm's (probably more out of habit). When we would travel and the four of us plan to use the same bathroom at a hotel, I always either buy a bottle of bleach when we get to our destination or bring germicidal bleach wipes. The last time I brought the wipes they ended up opening up and ruining some clothes. We will be traveling on Wed and I may just buy a small bottle of bleach when we get to NY. However, I really don't know if it's necessary or just out of habit/ peace of mind. I'm curious...How many of you continue to bleach after bm post infection and/ or do you let your family use the same toilet you use?
Last edited by AnxiousJ on Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:44 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Obreezy
New User

Re: Curious

Postby Obreezy » Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:57 pm

My roommate and I share a bathroom. I bleached the toilet while I was on antibiotics, but haven't used bleach to clean it since (now just use lysol spray for a weekly clean). There have been zero issues with him getting sick from me (we've shared for almost 8 months). Most hospitals will consider you to no longer be contagious about 2 days after symptoms go away, so I don't think there is any need to have bathroom restrictions or to constantly clean with bleach.

sammyp
Contributor

Postby sammyp » Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:16 pm

My husband and I share a tiny bathroom in a tiny one bedroom apartment. I had CDiff for weeks before I even knew what it was let alone that I needed to bleach. He never got it. I am 8 months in recovery and only bleach once a week now during my regular housework day. I do think you're going overboard. I can understand why as this infection messes with your brain but this far in to recovery no one is at any risk of catching CDiff from you. They could just as easily come in contact with it out in the world.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:47 pm

I only bleached during active infection.

OCmama
Regular Contributor

Postby OCmama » Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:34 pm

I still clean with bleach, since all 5 of us had C. diff we share bathrooms. I also bring germicidal wipes when I travel to clean surfaces in the hotel.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:03 am

Much more important to clean a hotel bathroom BEFORE you use it!!!.
Buy bleach tablets, no problems traveling with solid bleach.
Take an empty spray bottle with the correct amount of tablets already inside it.
Fill with water once your there.

Chsmom
Brand New Poster

Postby Chsmom » Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:34 am

roy wrote:
> Much more important to clean a hotel bathroom BEFORE you use it!!!.
> Buy bleach tablets, no problems traveling with solid bleach.
> Take an empty spray bottle with the correct amount of tablets already
> inside it.
> Fill with water once your there.

So I’m curious about this statement as someone who is new to the disease. Do I need to be worried about reinfecting myself from public toilets? What about the work toilets?

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:52 am

I’m with Beth. And I think you are now overdoing it.

As far as I’m concerned you don’t have to do either!!!

But you are more likely to catch something unknown from someone else who you know nothing about, including their hygiene habits, than give something to someone when you know you practice good hygiene.

The key is to practice good hygiene....even when you no longer have active infection.

Roy may have another opinion?

Machaon
Regular Contributor

Postby Machaon » Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:08 am

My C-diff lasted five months until September 12, 2017. During that time we did not ever use bleach. Because of my problems with chemicals, we boiled my soiled undies with dish detergent. We washed our hands with water frequently, especially prior to eating.

My wife did not get my C-diff and I am still C-diff free. Perhaps we are just lucky to see the dark days of C-diff behind us, despite not using bleach.

I am not suggesting this approach to anyone else, just posting what happened in our case.
Male 77 S.Florida

900 weight lifts 750 knee bends day

Since 1987 had CHF afib asthma

I inhale $6 Flonase nasal spray for asthma :)

Ex C-diff (4/19/17- 9/12/17) after 10 days dificid

Diet:6 meals ~1500 cals 2 eggs 2 steamed broccoli, apple, bagels

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:25 am

Agree!
Cleaning is now only to protect yourself, not to protect others.

Chsmom.
Washrooms that are used by multiple unrelated people are prime areas to pick up many types of potentialy pathogenic bugs! not just c.diff!

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:42 pm

I might add that I never bleached my clothes or linens. My husband never got c difficile and he used our same bathroom.

AnxiousJ
Regular Contributor

Postby AnxiousJ » Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:44 pm

Thank you all! I thought I always was, but have definitely become a master hand washer. ;) So,the plan is if I can get to a nearby pharmacy there then I may get a small bottle of bleach but if not, I will forgo it. I truly appreciate your help. Rita & Beth, I'm leaning toward letting it go. Roy, what exactly are bleach tablets? Do you mean Clorox toilet bowl cleaner tabs? OCMama, This is the first time I my not be using them in a long time.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:13 am

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”