Ear infection post c-diff... antibiotics?

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
firefly
New User

Ear infection post c-diff... antibiotics?

Postby firefly » Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:41 am

I am a 19-year-old female and have not suffered an ear infection in over a decade. This middle ear infection came secondary to the common cold I recently had. I don't have a fever or any other symptoms, so my doctor was reluctant to prescribe antibiotics, especially given my recent history with c. diff (finished vanco June 2018). But it has been two days since the infection began and nothing has improved, or worsened. I am taking paracetamol/ibuprofen to help the pain and reduce inflammation, plenty of Vitamin C, antihistamines to help clear the Eustachian tubes, and I have begun taking s. boulardii just in case.

I am going back tomorrow morning for a checkup and to determine whether I need antibiotics or not. The standard treatment for an infection of this sort is amoxicillin, an over-prescription of which caused my c. difficile to begin with... (I'm still very upset I was sent home with abx for unknown abdominal pain when a simple ultrasound would have revealed I had an ovarian cyst, or soon after that, appendicitis... all this suffering could have been so easily prevented)!!

Has anyone here safely taken amoxicillin after a c. diff infection? It's a high-risk antibiotic, but my only other option is cefalexin, a cephalosporin which I think is equally dangerous. I have also read some people's experiences with taking vancomycin during amoxicillin treatment, and avoiding re-infection that way. However, my doctor is not allowed to prescribe it without a stool test positive for c. diff. In that case, would taking s. boulardii be enough..?

I'm just so scared. I can't go through this again. I'm about to start Uni and need to fully devote myself to it, not be worrying about my health, and I really can't take any more time off work. After such a tough 2018, I was going to make 2019 my year and avoid antibiotics where possible, and I'm so terrified this sudden ear infection will throw everything off. I know it's dramatic but I hope anyone reading this can understand my anxiety...

roy
Administrator

Re: Ear infection post c-diff... antibiotics?

Postby roy » Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:55 am

The standard treatment for a middle ear infection is to leave it alone!
The majority are viral and do not respond to antibiotics.
If it gets a lot worse you might need to treat but for a simple case it's not worth the risk and probably wont make any differance.

https://www.nhsinform.scot/illnesses-an ... infections

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”