Is this a relapse?

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
emabry
New User

Is this a relapse?

Postby emabry » Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:25 pm

Hi, I'm about post 1 year since my C diff cleared up. My BM habits have never gone back to completely normal, but quite close to it. Occasionally (like today), I get looser BM's with M. Is this sign of a relapse? I tend toward constipation normally and I have no nausea or anything and I have an appetite but a bit of gas, my usual GERD, etc. as well. Any ideas?

sammyp
Contributor

Re: Is this a relapse?

Postby sammyp » Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:26 pm

If it's been over 3 months since your last infection, it would be considered a reinfection not a relapse. A reinfection would be extremely unlikely after a year without a catalyst. Any recent GI illnesses such as food poisoning, antibiotic or PPI use, visits to a hospital or nursing home, etc?

emabry
New User

Postby emabry » Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:11 pm

Nothing I can really think of that would be a catalyst. Might just be some premenstruel related IBS or something as well... it does seems to happen randomly every few months. Probably should just take some probiotocs and eat carefully for a couple days. If it continues, I’ll get it tested.

AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Postby AllisS » Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:03 am

The symptoms aren't those of C. diff. Also, they sound fairly mild -- so, not indicative of either a relapse or a reinfection.
If your illness was preceded by use of a medication, e.g., an antibiotic, please fill out an FDA Adverse Event Report at http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/default.htm

emabry
New User

Postby emabry » Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:29 am

They were my symptoms. I didn’t get the typical watery D.

Come to think of it I did have a short bout of GI illness about 2 weeks ago.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:08 am

I get that too and it has not been c difficile. I tend toward C these days as well. I'm not sure what triggers it for me. I know when I get very tired and haven't slept a lot it seem to come on. I guess if I get run down. I wouldn't worry about it unless it doesn't clear up and continues to progress.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”