TEST RESULTS

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
Ajs
Regular Contributor

Re: TEST RESULTS

Postby Ajs » Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:16 pm

I’m doing pretty good. Bathroom visits have been great! Only going 1-2 times per day. No D. The last 3 days have been off. I’ve had horrible fatigue. I just tire out so quickly!! I do feel like I’m past the cdiff, but the recovery is rough. Thanks for asking! I’m so glad you didn’t need more antibiotics!

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:03 am

C.diff is diagnosed by looking at the symptoms and then using a test to confirm the diagnosis.
Drs MUST treat the patient not a test result.
PCR is very sensitive, it picks up C.diff that might not be causing illness (c.diff is a normal gut bacteria that can be detected in normal healthy people).
Also theres many strains of c.diff ranging from totaly harmless to potentialy deadly.
I think it's around 27 strains with around 12 being harmless, several more being minor and no more than a few days of tummy upset, then 4 or 5 that can potentialy be serious.
Then theres M27 that produces 10 times the toxin of any other!
GDH detects them all and now it's being realised that PCR also shows up many infections that are totaly harmless.
PCR is now followed (hopefully) with a toxin test and if that's negative it suggests the PCR detected a harmless c.diff strain that should not be treated (treating a harmless one will disrupt the good flora and can lead to a worse infection).
Theres also the fact that some people carry strong immunity to c.diff, that immunity is to the toxins, not the bacteria itself.
They can have a bucket full of toxin and not become sick.
Immunity can only be gained if someone is exposed to c.diff so it's obvious they can test positive.
Treating that group disturbes the very immunity that is preventing them becoming sick and can often result in it becoming a full blown relapsing disease.
Testing positive for c.diff is not a disease and should not mean automatic treatment if the person does not have watery stools.

lila30
Contributor

Postby lila30 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:22 am

Thank you for clarifying that. My results read as:
C difficile toxin gene naa- toxigenic c difficile- positive
Epidemic strain B1/Nap1/027 - negative

So the c difficile toxin gene naa is positive but the strains are negative. So no active infection right?

Roy- so do strains and toxins mean like the same thing?

Jess- I'm glad your doing much better. Recovery is rough but we can do it!

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:49 pm

When we talk about "strains" compare it to talking about the breed of a dog.
You can get a poodle, a greyhound or a doberman.
They are all different but they are all dogs!
Some are more dangerous than the others.

Your test result means a toxin producing type of c.diff was detected so if you show signs and symptoms a Dr will treat you.

Interestingly, and very rare is that the second test was to identify the strain (is it a poodle or a dobermam) it confirms you dont have the worst, potentialy deadly strain  B1/Nap1/027 (that's the doberman).
Drs hardly ever ask for that test, it's expensive, hard to do and not much use except for clinical studies.
If you have c.diff that's causing D the treatment is the same regardless off the strain.

lila30
Contributor

Postby lila30 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:11 pm

Roy- so then I did relapse again, so I wonder why I don't have symptoms like diarrhea. My stoold are formed.
This all confusing.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:52 pm

ONLY symptoms indicate a relapse.
A positive test does NOT indicate a relapse.
That's why the guidlines clearly state that a test should never be done to see if it's gone.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:43 am

A lot of labs now will test for the B1/Nap1 strain. I have seen it on my test results as well. It doesn't sound as if they followed up your test with a toxin test. If your doctor feels that it is negative and you are not having symptoms, why would you want to treat? Treating the c diff gave me worse symptoms and guaranteed a relapse. It sounds as if your body is taking care of it. A positive PCR just means that you show the DNA of c diff from having had the infection. It could mean that you are considered a carrier, which is what I was told I am.

lila30
Contributor

Postby lila30 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:26 am

Roy- I read again what you sent about the meaning of different strains. I get what your saying. Thank you

Beth- yeah it doesn't sound like they ordered the test I requested. Which I asked him twice to order the test you suggested to me weeks ago. The only thing I am having is a lot of gas and nausea. The doctor wanted to treat me again but I told him no since I didn't have any diarrhea or mucus or blood in my stool and my stool is formed. I never took probiotics during treatment. I thought about it by I never did cause I was concerned if I felt bad, I would wonder is it a relapse or the probiotics. But I just started on kefir yesterday. I just don't understand why I have this nausea.

Ajs
Regular Contributor

Postby Ajs » Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:50 am

Elisa, I have also been dealing with nausea. The best thing I have found that helps me is to eat often, but small portions. I eat a banana first thing in the morning, then around 930 I eat some yogurt with a handful of blueberries. I then do the same thing after lunch. (Lunch is usually very lite. Maybe a walnut butter sandwich). I just try to take something in every couple hours. This may not work for you. I Also drink sips of Kiefer milk throughout the day. I still take one Florastor daily, but other than that no probiotics. I want to try to control as much as I can through diet. I still keep a dull, nauseating pain most of the time but it’s more of a nuisance than anything.

I have a friend that’s dealing with SIBO who’s two main symptoms are nausea and gas. She has been taking a probiotic called Megaspore-biotic. She told me that after a year of trying different probiotics, it has made an obvious improvement! I think Georgina on here has just started taking it recently. It’s probably too early to know if it has helped her.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”