Maxitrol Eye Drops Cause Relapse?

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
emabry
New User

Maxitrol Eye Drops Cause Relapse?

Postby emabry » Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:02 pm

I've just finished a course of Maxitrol eye drops for a corneal abrasion. Today I've had some symptoms that are similar to what I had when I had C Diff (bad smelling gas, semi-loose stool, cramps) but not nearly as extreme... is it possible to relapse from antibiotic eye drops?

AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Re: Maxitrol Eye Drops Cause Relapse?

Postby AllisS » Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:12 pm

There was a thread on this same topic about a year and a half ago on the site. A pharmacist had told one of those posting on the thread that the likelihood of C. diff being triggered by these eyedrops was extremely low, and others who posted had used this eyedrop formulation without incident. Unless you start having the classic C. diff symptom of watery diarrhea at least three times a day for more than three days, I'd wait and see if the symptoms that you mention just resolve on their own.
If your illness was preceded by use of a medication, e.g., an antibiotic, please fill out an FDA Adverse Event Report at http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/default.htm

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”