Cdiff concerns

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
Speed58
Brand New Poster

Cdiff concerns

Postby Speed58 » Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:31 am

Greetings, this is my second time getting cdiff but this time it is a bit different. I started flagyl about 4 days ago and I’ve experienced dizziness, and a lot of bloating with a bit of nausea. Should I be worried about my excessive bloating? I’m a hypochondriac and am worried about falling victim to megacolon. What are some things I should watch out for?

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Re: Cdiff concerns

Postby georgina » Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:26 am

Swollen abdomen , unability to pass gas , very bad and constant abdominal pain , high fever , feeling extremely ill will make you think about toxic megacolon . As long as you can sit on a computer and check the site you are "fine" , no toxic megacolon just sick with Cdiff. If you are o a second round of Flagyl and you feel like it doesn't help you , go see your doctor and ask to be switched to Vanco or Dificid. Flagyl is not FDA approved as a Cdiff treatment.

Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Postby Lisa33 » Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:46 am

Speed58 - Welcome to the site. Please read the first forum for all new users on standard intro, rules of posting, etc. Sorry you are going through c-diff again. I agree with Georgina. The chances of falling victim to toxic megacolon is slim. I do think that you should have been treated with vanco or dificid instead of Flagyl, especially that it's your second go-around. What you are experiencing is typical of c-diff and/or Flagyl side effects.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:20 am

If the only symptom is "bloating with a bit of nausea" then a Dr is not supposed to order a c.diff test.
If you have colitis and a test shows c.diff is present then treatment is indicated.

Speed58
Brand New Poster

Postby Speed58 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:53 am

Just an update on my situation. I’m still having a lot of trouble with bloating and nausea. I don’t notice any of the cdiff symptoms I had when I last had cdiff like D or intense abdominal pain. I’m ready to throw in the towel for this medicine because it seems like these symptoms are so unbearable. However I’m still taking them as directed because I don’t want to start from square one again. Would miralax be a good option for the bloating/constipation?

Thank you,

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:27 am

If i were you , i would prefer a more natural approach like : prune juice , a fiber supplement , aloe juice , instead of Miralax.

Speed58
Brand New Poster

Postby Speed58 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:19 pm

Thank you for suggesting prune juice. I had a glass of it with some oatmeal this morning and Wow did that solve my constipation issue, only thing I have D now. I’m open for suggestions for that issue.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:51 pm

The D should subside if you don't drink more prune juice. Next time you need it, just drink half a glass. I used to drink it for C before c diff and it worked well. I also used to eat dried prunes sometimes. I liked those better.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:17 am

it also depends how big the glass is!
When someone suggests something new it's best to try a tiny amount first.
half an ounce would be much better than half a pint if your gut is sensative!

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:14 am

Definitely try a small amount at first! Sorry you are having D now but i'm sure it will subside. Good thing you haven't taken miralax , imagine how things would have been like in the toilet after that !!

Speed58
Brand New Poster

Postby Speed58 » Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:12 pm

Thank you for your help. The D did subside and to my surprise I am not getting bloated as much from my pills. My movements are starting to look normal but I’m still not going a normal amount. I really appreciate the help.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”