elderberry syrup

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
AnxiousJ
Regular Contributor

elderberry syrup

Postby AnxiousJ » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:09 pm

My child has the flu right now (but no stomach issues). A friend told me about elderberry syrup and how she's been using it as a preventative during this season. After reading about it decided to try the Nature's Way brand. Today is the 3rd day I've taken it and took 2 tsp 3x day. The first two days I took 2 tsp 1x day. This evening I've had 2 bouts of very loose stools with a little M. Does anyone know if it can cause stomach upset/ D?

amg
Regular Contributor

Re: elderberry syrup

Postby amg » Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:03 pm

A quick Google search indicated Elderberry is used as a laxative, and that consuming raw berries or some other parts of the plant can cause N/V/diarrhea etc.

https://www.umm.edu/health/medical/altm ... elderberry

Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Postby Lisa33 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:09 am

I give my 6 year old elderberry syrup by Sabucol daily as a supplement to aid her immune system, and she never has had any gastro effects from it. I've been giving it to her for years. She has never had c-diff or any other gastro illnesses. Maybe our GI systems are more sensitive given that we have had serious infections. Everybody is different though.

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:50 pm

You have to take care when using OTC and homeopathic remedies. Not only can they have side effects but they can interact with other medication you take. In addition to the internet, check with your pharmacist.

ane591
Brand New Poster

Postby ane591 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:48 pm

You took too much (3x per day) is probably why you had gastro problems. Everything I've read says take once a day. Hope this helps!

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”