7th day on vanco, 7 more to go

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.

7th day on vanco, 7 more to go

Postby posta » Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:49 am

dear all,
today is my 7th day on vanco, been visiting my doctor for a check up today and he decided to continue it for 7 more days.
i started having D on my 9th day on cefixime prescribed for sinus infection, after 3 days with cramps and watery D i was tested for c diff, got positive toxins A and B, antigene and few days later positive pcr.
even though my D subsided on day 4th and my blood work was fine, doctor decided to start medications.
i dont tolerate well metronidazole, so we started vanco right away. i know it is not always the best routine, but now that i am on it all i can do is pray for the best.
while on vanco nothing special is happening, very mild 1-2 cramps right before i have bowel movement in the morning, stool is normal and after ages i am regular (dealing with constipation my whole life).
today is the first a bit bumpy day - whole day i have been having mild cramps and slight nausea. still no D, just regular 2 BM, but i feel like it is going to start cramping harder any moment and that then D will follow. it would really destroy me to get D while on medications:(
i eat normally and doctor told me today to start introducing normal food back while on therapy so stomach can start adjusting slowly. for the past 10 days i have been on rice, steamed chicken breast, steamed vegetables and potatoes, stewer apples and some bananas. but, today i am worried that things are maybe not going well because of this cramps and nausea.
what is your experiences with vancomycin? i read that it is usually well tolerated and i really did not have any side effects in the past seven days. i am a bit tired and this general foggy and nauseated feeling might be from that... and of course i am crazy anxious that this c diff monster will not go away after just one course, so i am sure it contribute to that crazy feeeling in my intestines.
i was diagnosed with IBS in my 20s (i am in my 40s today), but in the past few years my stomach was pretty calm (apart from constipation).
i take boulardii morning and night, coconut oil...

i know there is not some real question here, i guess i just needed to share with someone who can understand how i feel. i am a bit scared and nervous, but for now guess the things are going well. still, if i understood my doctor today, real test will be once i stop vanco. i am dreading that days...:(
i am so afraid this will be persistent, especially since my immunity is really weak and i just dont feel my organism can deal with it strong enough.

thank you for "listening", wish you all just good news and all the best*

Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Re: 7th day on vanco, 7 more to go

Postby Lisa33 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:46 am

Try not to worry. Everything that you have described sounds pretty normal while on vanco. It sounds like you are doing very well. Recovery starts when you finish meds, and it can take time for your gut to recover. BMs may not turn back to normal for a long time. I know it's very hard to do, but try not to get caught up on every weird feeling. No D is very good news and means that you are going in the right direction. The nausea could be from the meds. There will be good days and bad days. When things go downhill quick, that usually means a relapse. But in your case, it's great that you were put on vanco off the bat, instead of the metronidazole. Stay positive - right now all signs are pointing to that you are going in the right direction.

Feel better,
Lisa

Re: 7th day on vanco, 7 more to go

Postby posta » Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:40 pm

dear Lisa33,
thank you so so much for encouraging words.
you are so right when you say it is important not to caught up on every weird feeling and bad sentiment. it is a battle and it take you down mentally so easy, and it is not good.
i introduced today some more stuff for building up immunity, returned to my yoga routine, but i am trying not to overdo it,which is also another great advice:)
really hope this will work out fine and that i will leave this bug in 2017.
wish you all the best and thank you for being so helpfull, x

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”