It's Over. Post-FMT

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
DrMike
Contributor

It's Over. Post-FMT

Postby DrMike » Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:25 pm

Dr. S. did his magic tonight.

Of course, I immediately pooped about 2/3 of it out, as he warned me I would. I'm trying to hold the remainder in right now with the help of Immodium.

I have some patchy inflammation in my terminal lieum consistent with C. diff, but otherwise, my colon looks "like a 20yo!" Given my autoimmune disease, which causes subclinical colonic inflammation in 60% of patients, this is fantastic news.

I very much hope that by the time I might get back around to having a relapse, those vaccines will have hit the market. I hope very much that the next time I see the good Dr. S for a colonoscopy, it will be for my 50yo screening.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: It's Over. Post-FMT

Postby beth22 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:50 pm

So glad to hear things went well. Hopefully the c diff nightmare is behind you and you can get on with the rest of your life and routine and get back to work. Let us know how you do in the next few daysago . I am presently on vacation, but checking in now and then. I decided to go despite having my own medical issues.

DrMike
Contributor

Postby DrMike » Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:13 pm

Dr. S said that my clean-out was "not perfect, but pretty good." I was floored; I'd just had the monthly flow of Niagra Falls

After the FMT I immediately had a huge watery D. He had warned me it would happen and not to worry; the fecal transplant was all the way at the other end of my colon six feet away and that he had a 95% success rate. The immodium helped me hold the rest of it in (with a great deal of discomfort) for another four hours. Then I had two more. I almost cried, not because this meant the transplant had failed (it didn't) but because I'd had C. diff for two weeks and then just done a bowel prep and I was SICK AND TIRED OF HAVING DIARRHEA.

This morning, I passed a bunch of gas. That was wonderful (seriously). And then the most solid BM I've had in weeks.

And then the tears came. They were tears of joy.

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:02 pm

So happy to hear things went well and you are already improving! That is fantastic!

Hopefully this is it and I do hope once you have recovered you can help spread the word about what this illness is truly like. Most of us had to have 3 failures ( Flagyl, Vanco, Vanco taper, Dificid) some Four like myself before even considered for FMT. It took months. We need to get the word out how very ill most of us feel and how debilitating this illness can be not only physically but also emotionally.

Wishing you the best in recovery!!

NanciT

Zapper
Regular Contributor

Postby Zapper » Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:07 pm

Wow what a quick turnaround! I really hope it continues to improve daily. Please come back and keep us updated on your recovery.
I am 8 weeks post 2nd FMT and still having issues. I love to see others progress- gives me hope too!

DrMike
Contributor

Postby DrMike » Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:33 am

The whole day I've had a nagging sense of tenesmus. I made it to the gym and spun on the bike for a 45 minute relatively gentle workout.

When it was over I went to the bathroom and decided to "get it over with." Except there wasn't anything. I think it's that inflammation that he saw on the scope.

I just ate a huge salad. Next up is sauteed spinach and some grilled fish. I'm hoping that the fiber in the veggies will feed my new community and also make things form up. Of course, the dinner sent me to the bathroom. Hopefully, that will start to improve with the inflammation, too.

amyc
Long Time Contributor

Postby amyc » Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:02 am

Salad, spinach and fish wouldn't be on my list of post-FMT foods. Try baked potatoes, oatmeal, beef stew, chicken and dumplings, frittatas made with cooked veggies. Walking is a better idea than the gym for a couple of days too. Sheesh, doctors.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:09 am

Dr, Mike,
Be good to yourself. Recovery can be a slow process. "A little at a time." What would you say to one of your patients - or his/her - mother who did what you did?

I agree with Amy - slow down.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:28 am

Dont be surprised if you spend the next day in the bathroom!
Salads about the worst thing for most victims, spinach would be a close second!
I take it the grilled fish was smothered with oil? Yet another trigger!
Plain food BRAT for a few days is probably the way to go.
Oatmeal is another go to and good flora thrive on it.

DrMike
Contributor

Postby DrMike » Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:03 pm

Dr. S said to eat my regular diet. Well, I eat a lot of veggies. It's just as well because I woke up this morning dreading my trip to the bathroom only to discover that I'm...constipated. Oh, the irony! Can't catch a break. So I just had a spoonful of metamucil in a glass of water, more spinach, and some eggs (yes, Roy, with butter).

And I worked out. Dr. S. said "return to your normal activities as tolerated." Well, I'm tolerating. :-)

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:39 pm

If it works for you, go for it. We are all different. You did not have diff long so might heal faster. I don't know - I am just an ignorant layperson

Congrats!!!!!!! Celebrate!!!!

DrMike
Contributor

Postby DrMike » Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:28 pm

Bristol 3. An actual Bristol 3. :-D

And then, wholly unrelated, I passed a kidney stone. At least it was painless.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:44 am

Sounds as if you are doing very well. Whoever was the donor for OpemBiome must have had very good flora. I wish you continued improvement as each day goes by.

DrMike
Contributor

Postby DrMike » Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:25 am

Well, maybe all that fiber wasn't a good idea. Had bloating and D last night, but it seems to be improved now. I've never done this before, so I'm making it up as I go along.

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:54 am

Read through the post under FMT. Although everyone as a different experience there are issues along the way in recovery. It takes time to heal and return to "normal" or in some cases like mine a "new normal". Although every physician I saw told me to return to a normal diet, I had issues so often it became trial and error.
It takes the gut time to recover. Some improve rather quickly, other's can take a longer time. I don't know if it's the strain that determines that or being on medications a long time. So often posters start a new post " young, healthy, fit" so many of us start right there. Its hard to know what determines recovery.

Just hang in there and give yourself time. You will have good days.....and days when you think things are off all over again. This is part of recovery and often why this illness can really effect our mental health.

NanciT

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”