Some encouragement for the New and scared

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
Momof3
New User

Some encouragement for the New and scared

Postby Momof3 » Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:57 am

Morning all!

I just woke up and felt led to post this morning! This site was super helpful for me last year when I had cdiff. In a nutshell, last July (2015) I had just had my 3rd baby and got mastitis, was treated with clendamyacin and 3 weeks later got cdiff. I was super freaked out, my PCP didn't know much about it so I was on the wrong dose of meds to start and to top it off I had a newborn and 2 other small kiddos (under 4) to care for all while running to the toilet multiple times a day and changing a million of their diapers (which had me paranoid too).

I'm already a bit of an anxious person but this made me super paranoid. So all that to say I know how you feel, I know you are scared, but I wanted you to know that you will get better! It's not going to happen over night and you may relapse, but you will get better! You will have a new normal and that's ok, you may be left with IBS, or food sensitivities. I still have a bad day once or twice a month (usually around my cycle) and I'm allergic to milk (got tested am I think I'm most sad about that lol!). I still get nervous because I don't want to get anything that will require abx and when I had a tummy bug earlier this year I was convinced it was cdiff and even had them retest me (it was negative).

I know it's easier said than done because when you feel like death your brain can run wild, but don't freak yourself out, some things that were super helpful for me were -wash your hands and clean your bathroom, drink lots of water and take a probiotic if that helps you (esp if you're being treated now), get your PCP to refer you to a GI or ID, and be your own advocate. Treat your body well, it takes time for your intestines to heal. Follow the 3 day rule and don't freak if you have 1 weird bm.

I'm not on here all the time but I check in a few times a month if you need a dose of encouragement shoot me a message! There were a few other moms of newborns on here that would message me back in the middle of the night when I was awake and feeding the baby that I will forever be grateful to for being a sounding board and encouragement- it really did make a difference. My husband is amazing but he didn't fully understand what I was going through- this group does (unfortunately).

I just wanted to post so you all could see what a year from now could look like and be encouraged! Sometimes seeing a thread of all new diagnoses' can further depress you. So here I am a year later felling good most days, playing with my kiddos but really missing my cheese :) Love and hugs and prayers to you guys!

Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Re: Some encouragement for the New and scared

Postby Lisa33 » Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:09 am

This is such a great post! Thank you so very much for posting this and giving encouragement to others. My daughter was 3 when I had c-diff, and that was hard enough. I can't imagine having a newborn and other children to care for, while being so sick. That had to be a very difficult time. That can really test your strength. You are a strong woman and you have gotten through it. I'm so glad you are doing well!

This sure does sound like a success story to me, so if you would like me to copy it into success stories, please let me know.

Thank you so much,
Lisa

NikaNik
Long Time Contributor

Postby NikaNik » Tue Aug 30, 2016 4:27 pm

I remember your posts, Momof3 - SO happy to hear you're doing well. What a strong woman you are! Blessings to you and your family.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Tue Aug 30, 2016 4:46 pm

I remember you too and am so very happy to hear that things are going better for you. Thanks for posting!

Momof3
New User

Postby Momof3 » Wed Aug 31, 2016 12:46 am

Lol Lisa you are welcome to post in success stories- I thought about it when the 1 year mark hit but was paranoid (like many others) of jinxing myself ha ha! You all were a huge part of my recovery - the mental part is half the battle- that brain/gut connection is STRONG.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Wed Aug 31, 2016 2:43 am

Momo , glad you posted this , although I'm not new in this fight ( still fighting unfortunately) I really needed to read something like that , gives me hope. Happy for you!
Agree with Lisa , this belongs to success stories!

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”