Vancocin via IV

Treatments, possible treatments, unsubstantiated/unproven treatments. Consult your doctor first.
Bobbie
Administrator

Vancocin via IV

Postby Bobbie » Sat Oct 07, 2006 2:33 pm

We've had several questions about using IV Vanco. to treat C. diff. &, to our (unmedical) knowledge, this is not preferable. I checked with several experts on C. diff., & this was their opinion:

IV Vanco. can resecrete partially into the inflamed colon, but the oral form is best.

If your doc. mentions treatment with IV Vanco., question him/her further & ask him/her to cite instances where it has worked.

Also in FAQ-Vancocin.

HEATHER28
Long Time Contributor

Postby HEATHER28 » Sat Oct 07, 2006 4:45 pm

Bobbie
When I was in the ER (at the Hospital that I work at) I was really scared that they were going to admit me in to the hospital but, the Dr (who was wonderful) said "that the only time that they admit Patients with CDiff is if they are dehydrated,running a fever or anemic." I asked about IV antibiotics and he said to me "that he has dealt with alot of CDiff cases and has never seen anyone succesfully get rid of CDiff with IV antibiotics (vanco or flagyl).
Heather

Cdiff free 7yrs! Cdiff left me with IBS but, I am dealing with it!!
"I am careful not to confuse excellence with perfection. Excellence I can reach for. Perfection is god's business." Michael J. Fox

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sat Oct 07, 2006 9:16 pm

Heather,
That's what I've always been told. We did have one long-term C. diff. sufferer who had the infusion treatment & was "cured." She developed C. diff. again, however, after a bout with food poisoning & said IV Vanco. helped. She is now on oral Vanco., however.

You had a good ER doc. I agree about not being hospitalized unless you have the conditions he described. Hospitals are great places to pick up another infection.

Return to “Treatments”