Xifaxan -- New Treatment for C. diff.

Treatments, possible treatments, unsubstantiated/unproven treatments. Consult your doctor first.

XIFAXAN (RIFAXIMIN)

Postby Guest » Wed Mar 02, 2005 8:45 pm

XIFAXAN IS ALSO KNOWN AS RIFAXIMIN

By Debby (24.12.31.156 - 24.12.31.156) on Monday, February 28, 2005 - 05:03 am: <BR> <BR>Response to EP on Xifaxan -- I actually composed a response to this the night the web site went down and was editing it and could not get it to post. <BR> <BR>Now about Xifaxan - I was taken off Vanco cold turkey following a Labor Day relapse. My GI told me that the Infectious Disease Dr indicated that there was a new drug for C-Diff. It was Xifaxan. I started on this in September. Was not too crazy about it for the first week or ten days, but must say that I've made progress on it over the last four months. Am now down to one of these pills every 4 days. Infectious disease has me combining with Culturelle and has added Florastor. (Also now being recommended to the GI department.) <BR> <BR>Just had an appointment on 2/22 and we are working on a pulse of the Xifaxan. Infectious Disease indicated that a 2/24 conference with the manufactors of Xifaxan on the effects of its use with C-Diff. (It is currently being used primarily to treat diarrhea associated with travel.) I said I'd volunteer for the program, but my Dr. indicated that I would not qualify as I've already evidenced benefits of being on the drug. So he was going to use my case and warned me that my ears might be burning last Thursday. <BR> <BR>Manufacturer of the drug (Salix) is pursuing investigations into its effects of treating C-Diff. <BR> <BR>Anyway - You might be hearing more about Xifaxan. Still somewhat expensive, but about 1/5 the cost of Vanco and an alternative with the Vanco shortage. <BR>FYI

Postby Guest » Wed Mar 02, 2005 10:25 pm

Odd - I checked this one out on Medscape. It appears to be contraindicated if you have pseudomembranous colitis. Its apparent purpose is to treat diarrhea due to e-coli infection. <BR> <BR>Not a lot of info on it though. It's clearly very new. <BR> <BR>Here's the contraindication notice: <BR> <BR>Significant <BR>Bloody Diarrhea, Fever, Pseudomembranous Enterocolitis

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Tue Dec 20, 2005 2:34 pm

jbb submitted this.

I found this article on Yahoo has anyone tried this?

http://www.upi.com/HealthBusiness/view. ... 1231-9228r

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Mon Jan 30, 2006 12:35 am

Cindy posted this. Thx., Cindy,
Rose & MaryT- Go to www.clinicaltrials.gov and pull up all articles about clostridium difficile and there are trials with rifaxamin (xifaxan) being held.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Wed Feb 08, 2006 2:17 pm

Rose posted this. Thx, Rose.
Posted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 2:53 am Post subject:

Rox,

I just saw my GI doctor today and, after 14 months of c-diff, pulse dosing, an infusion, our plan of action is now to include the medication you are referring to into my regimen. Here's what my doc told me about it, which supports things I've read about it as well:

1. It has shown to be effective in treating c-diff at the time of initial diagnosis. Presumably, it has about as an effective cure rate as the other main line meds that are used (flagyl or vanco). However, there are not a lot of studies regarding use for recurrent c-diff.

2. When used for recurrent disease it is used as an additional therapy, with vanco (or flagyl) being the foundation upon which it is added. If you have recurrent disease and your doctor is prescribing this medication without any other supportive treatment, you might want to explore that further.

3. Like vanco, rifaximin is not systemic, which is good. It just goes through the gut and is pooped out. So, the good news is there should be few side effects.

XIFAXAN IS ALSO KNOWN AS RIFAXIMIN.

Marcia
Long Time Contributor

Postby Marcia » Sat Feb 11, 2006 4:08 pm

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sat Feb 11, 2006 5:21 pm

Thx. Marcia. See this is being considered for IBS and other disorders, too.

Marcia
Long Time Contributor

Postby Marcia » Sat Feb 11, 2006 5:53 pm

Yes i thought it was interesting because a few of us develop IBS, and some already had it prior.

Christina
Long Time Contributor

Postby Christina » Wed Feb 15, 2006 7:31 pm

I spoke with a research Dr. today who is studying Xifaxin and using it on people with relapses out in Chicago.He is listed in an article on this website.I went over my case with him and asked him about the Xifaxin.He did tell me that he has had success with some people who have had multiple relapses and they were cured.He did say as with anything it may not work for everyone.I then asked him if it would be a good idea for me to try it and he said to start as soon as I can.This was very encouraging.I then asked about how it is contradicted with bloody and mucousy stool because this is my concern.he told me that is because it should not be used for people with infections such as Salmonella or Shigella for c-diff it is fine.It sounds like it may be good.

Clover05
Brand New Poster

XIFAXAN

Postby Clover05 » Thu Feb 16, 2006 11:25 pm

I took Xifaxan for my c diff. I was on Vanco for a few months and I switched to Xifaxan for two weeks. It controlled my c diff as effectively as Vanco but gave me a yeast infection. So I'm back on Vanco for good.

brileigh
New User

Xifaxan was great for me!

Postby brileigh » Fri Apr 14, 2006 11:30 pm

Back in December of 2005, a taper dose of Xifaxan totally cleared me of my c-diff.

jennie
Regular Contributor

Postby jennie » Sat Apr 15, 2006 3:45 am

brileigh - how long were you on it, what dosage, and how long did you taper? was it for weeks? were you on Vanco before that, and were you given the xifaxan for relapses ? also, following from Rose's post, did you take it with Vanco, or on its own?

Bobbie
Administrator

brileigh

Postby Bobbie » Sat Apr 15, 2006 10:46 am

brileigh,
When you answer Jennie's questions, would you also post in the new forum Success Stories?. Just a short summary of what caused your C. diff., were you on Vanco. or Flagyl first, and how long you were on Xifaxin.

brileigh
New User

My Xifaxan schedule

Postby brileigh » Mon Apr 17, 2006 7:48 pm

I was on it for about a month. It's hard to remember exactly, but I think the schedule was 3x/day for 2 weeks, 2x/day for a week, 1x day for a week, and then every other day for 2 weeks. It was just one pill per dose...I can't remember how much was in each pill. I was on flagyll 2x before, and it didn't work either time. The flagyll gave me peripheral neuropathy, too, so I had to cut it short the second time. It made me pretty nauseated as well. But Xifaxan was truly wonderful...easy to swallow, and no perceivable negative side effects. My GI PA wanted to try it before Vanco, and I was so grateful. I never had to take Vanco.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Mon Apr 17, 2006 11:47 pm

Thx., Brileigh. Glad Xifaxan helped you. We've had many people ask about it, but not many posters have taken it. Hope you continue to feel better and to post to support others.

Return to “Treatments”