Xifaxan -- New Treatment for C. diff.

Treatments, possible treatments, unsubstantiated/unproven treatments. Consult your doctor first.
nsewell
Long Time Contributor

Postby nsewell » Tue Apr 18, 2006 10:20 am

I talked to Patty at the MAyo clinic about the trial going on with Xifaxan and she said only people that have had c-diff for less than a month are condidates for that med.

jennie
Regular Contributor

Postby jennie » Sun Apr 23, 2006 4:05 am

I have been on just under 2 weeks of Xifaxan, and I think it works well. I was on the 200 3x a day dose, with a small amount of Vanco. I am using it to try and break the cycle of recurrence, have not been able to taper Vanco until now. But the 2 weeks was too short, I cannot yet say that it has worked entirely. I found it a hard med to take, but it got better after about 10 days. It kicks the c-diff, one feels that. More bluntly than Vanco, one feels it kicks it in a different way. The best days I had in this time was with Vanco BID, alongside it.

Have read a few posts that the trials are for new infections, and that is where they are seeing a lot of success; but some of us are given it for recurrence. I would like to know if we can take it for a long while, if we need to.

My last tab of Xifax was 5 days ago, and I have not relapsed yet, but c-diff is re-grouping, I have a lot of pain, which, as always, even a bit of Vanco takes away.

I hope to get more sometime soon, will report back on this then.

Even at this early stage, I would say it is worth giving it a trial run. It did not make me worse, let's put it that way. They seem to be saying that in works well in some, and not in others? Thing about c-diff: we know pretty quickly what works and what does not!

Christina
Long Time Contributor

Postby Christina » Sun Apr 23, 2006 7:18 am

I'm glad the Xifaxan seems to be working for you. I was put on two weeks of Vanco then switched to 400mg of Xifaxan three times a day. I was supposed to take it for 2 weeks but I relapsed on day #6.Goes to prove some treatments work for some but not for others.Good luck and I wish you continued success!

Paolo
New User

Postby Paolo » Fri Sep 08, 2006 4:27 pm

I realize this is a day late and a dollar short, but I was put on xifixan along with Vanco during my first relapse. My second relapse came on 5 days before the end of the treatment. Not a wonderdrug, I'm afraid.

Hate to burst anyone's bubble...I'm looking for hope along with all of you! ;-)

nsewell
Long Time Contributor

Postby nsewell » Sat Sep 09, 2006 10:56 am

I was on Xifaxan for 20 days total and now am three months off meds with a neg test for c-diff. I dont know if it was the Xifaxan or not, but coming off the Vanco I always ended up with the D and everyting else.

ickytummy
Regular User

Postby ickytummy » Wed Sep 20, 2006 5:00 pm

I went through two rounds of Xifaxan and now I'm on Vanco. For me personally I liked the Xifxan better! I took 2 pills 3 times a day with a 200MG dosage. My only side effect was it seemed like my heart was racing for a few hours after I took it. But my BM's were the closest to "normal" while I was on it. I still had abdominal pain though which is why I'm on Vanco now. The Vanco makes me more naseous though...but no more ab pain!

Lauren
Administrator

Postby Lauren » Mon Oct 23, 2006 9:28 pm

Contributed by Sheila:

Here's the article on the "Xifaxan chaser"

http://www.genengnews.com/news/bnitem.aspx?name=7410699

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Thu Dec 28, 2006 2:38 pm

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Thu Apr 26, 2007 1:07 pm

Sheila donated this info. Thx.

You might also talk with your doc about the Xifaxan chaser after you complete another round of Vanco. Study and dosage info. is here:
http://www.salix.com/newsroom/20061023b.asp

Return to “Treatments”