Which Treatment Route To Take

Treatments, possible treatments, unsubstantiated/unproven treatments. Consult your doctor first.
MeliMel
Regular User

Which Treatment Route To Take

Postby MeliMel » Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:30 pm

Unfortunately I am dealing with my 1st reoccurrence of C Diff. I noticed continued symptoms over the weekend and per my Infectious Disease doctor came was tested and admitted to the hospital. I go home today. The doctors here are sending me home with two prescriptions. One for Vanco plus a short taper and the other for 10 or 14 days of Dificid if I can find a Pharmacy that will fill it. My question to the group is, which should I do? I know Dificid has shown higher success rates but that does not include a taper. Also if any local pharmacies don't carry it, how else can I obtain it. I will have a hard copy prescription. Was really hoping and praying to knock out C Diff on the first shot. I hate C Diff!
Last edited by MeliMel on Sat Dec 14, 2019 6:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

MeliMel
Regular User

Re: Which Treatment Route To Take

Postby MeliMel » Thu Dec 12, 2019 6:14 pm

Update. I was discharged with 10 day supply of Dificid.

OCmama
Regular Contributor

Postby OCmama » Fri Dec 13, 2019 12:36 am

Glad you went with Dificid, keep us updated

MeliMel
Regular User

Postby MeliMel » Fri Dec 13, 2019 5:13 pm

I took my first dose of Dificid last night at 9PM and my second dose at 9AM today. I am still have alot of M coated stools. Tints of B. I don't feel fantastic. Is the Dificid working? Last time once I started treatment M stopped right away. I was on Vanco for 3/4 days in hospital and just started Dificid. I hate CDiff. Just feeling down and out as many of us do. I want to beat this so bad but I can't help but feeling hopeless. Concerned still seeing so much M. Is it typical for Dificid to only be twice a day every 12 hours?

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sat Dec 14, 2019 1:55 am

Yes, Dificid is twice a day which makes it easier to take. When I was on vanco, it took a good 4 or 5 days for me to stop seeing the M.

AngelaB
New User

Postby AngelaB » Wed Dec 18, 2019 3:54 pm

I finished a 10 day course of Dificid a little over 2 weeks ago. I did not feel good taking it and my response to it was very inconsistent. I still have a lot of abdominal pain which I believe is related but not sure. I am also holding out hope that this did the trick for me as I was on a very long taper of Vanco with several relapses (though I felt much better on the Vanco).

AngelaB

MeliMel
Regular User

Postby MeliMel » Wed Dec 18, 2019 4:30 pm

AngelaB How did you feel on it? Did you have alot of side effects? I definitely feel better on Dificid than on Vanco. I did not tolerate Vanco well at all. It gave me alot of side effects. I have moments were I just feel off It's difficult to know if it's the medication or something else. I'm half way through my course. Thankfully the M has seemed to disappear. Really hoping Dificid helps me kick CDiff out for good.

AngelaB
New User

Postby AngelaB » Wed Dec 18, 2019 5:10 pm

Hi MeliMel:

When I was taking Dificid I wasn't sure it was working for me as I would have bad days alternating with good. Mid-way through I had an episode with mucus and blood. I also had (and still have) a lot of abdominal pain (aching in my sides). I felt good on Vanco and didn't really have any side effects. I suppose everyone is different. I am still taking Florastor (probiotic yeast) and I am afraid to stop this. Yes, CDiff is awful and I am still not sure I kicked it yet!

AngelaB

MeliMel
Regular User

Postby MeliMel » Wed Dec 18, 2019 5:50 pm

I tried Florastor this round after getting out of the hospital but stopped a day or two ago because it seemed to be making me constipated. I am drinking Kefir though and seem to tolerate it well.

AngelaB
New User

Postby AngelaB » Wed Dec 18, 2019 6:03 pm

I actually thought the Dificid made me constipated! It could be that and not the Florastor.

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Wed Dec 18, 2019 7:24 pm

I was fine on Dificid for 10 days, I did relapse and went on a long taper. I did not feel well the months I was on the taper. Had alot of abdominal pain and just felt bad.
Post IBS continued but it DID get rid of CDIFF!!

Hopefully you will do well on the 10days and that will be it!

NanciT

AngelaB
New User

Postby AngelaB » Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:09 pm

Hi Nanci:

What did you do for the abdominal pain? I am really struggling with this (plus I have fibromyalgia)! Also, how long was it after taking the 10 day course of Dificid that you relapsed?

AngelaB

MeliMel
Regular User

Postby MeliMel » Fri Dec 20, 2019 9:33 am

I saw my Infectious Disease doctor yesterday and unfortunately I won't be doing a Dificid taper following my 10 day course, which ends on Sunday. I am once again scared and nervous to finish treatment. Was really hoping for a taper. :(

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:45 am

AngelaB

I used a heating pad, I did not take any pain meds. I was hardly eating and could not tolerate anything. I did take an Advil but then developed esophagitis so that was taken off the list. It was a difficult time and tough to hang onto my job. Looking back I am glad I was able to. I lost alot of weight but slowly recovered.

MeliMel If you are completing DIficid, hopefully all will be well and you won't need anymore treatment. We have MANY on site who did 10 days are slowly recovered. All the relapses I had were at least TWO weeks later.
I did NOT feel good for quite some time, but I knew it was a relapse due to the D and vomiting( I had this all thought CDIFF) that would start up.

Recovery for me was a slow slow process

NanciT

MeliMel
Regular User

Postby MeliMel » Mon Dec 23, 2019 11:53 am

NanciT
Thank you! I really hope so! Yesterday morning was my last pill. I cried at night since I didn't have a night time dose to take. I am so very nervous but trying to stay positive and hopeful. This reoccurrance was 3 weeks after finishing my Vanco course. Praying it doesn't come back and I beat this. Trying not to look out for symptoms like a hawk and just be but definitely feels like I'm walking on egg shells.

Return to “Treatments”