Calcium to solidify

Treatments, possible treatments, unsubstantiated/unproven treatments. Consult your doctor first.

Calcium to Solidfy

Postby Guest » Wed Aug 18, 2004 10:01 am

I know only so well the rugged road we all must travel to regain our bowel health, and I am always looking for other solutions and remedies. The probiotics are a necessity, but I am looking for other ways to help solidify stool safely. I searched google under "constipation" to see why and how it is caused, and saw that taking calcium carbonate and iron tablets may help slow down and perhaps help solidify stool. Granted, too much calcium /iron would not be good, but achieving a workable medium will be what I will be investigating. So I will begin some trials.

Postby Guest » Wed Aug 18, 2004 12:34 pm

Hi Bob, <BR> <BR>I can attest to the fact that both calcium and iron can be quite constipating for some people. <BR>Calcium supplements of 1000 mg/day bind me up and I could never take the prenatal vitamins with iron in them when I was pregnant because of terrible constipation. <BR> <BR>Have you tried fibercon tablets yet? My G.I. had me take them after cdiff to "bulk up" the stools and it seemed to help. <BR> <BR>Be careful with iron supplementation - high levels of iron in the blood can be dangerous - especially for men. <BR> <BR>I hope you can find that happy medium we're all looking for.

Postby Guest » Wed Aug 25, 2004 11:18 am

The calcium/ iron that I am trying, is making a good improvement in stool solidity. I am gradually going up to 2400 Mg. a day in divided doses. I will let you all know how it is progressing. I also take 2 Primal defense tablets a day.

Postby Guest » Tue Sep 14, 2004 5:46 pm

Bob, <BR>what kind of calcium and iron are you taking?

Postby Guest » Tue Sep 14, 2004 10:29 pm

"Twin labs" 500 mg calcium with D- 1 tablet 5 times a day in divided doses. Calcium tends to naturally solidify stool. So,I tried it and it works for me!

Postby Guest » Wed Oct 06, 2004 10:59 pm

well-it sure has worked for me. I added 1 more primal defense and I am now taking 3 a day, and stool is much more solid feeling better, too. Calcium works.

Return to “Treatments”