How to deal with "IBS"?

Treatments, possible treatments, unsubstantiated/unproven treatments. Consult your doctor first.
vegmons
Brand New Poster

How to deal with "IBS"?

Postby vegmons » Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:17 am

27 yo F, I had cdiff earlier this year which caused moderate colitis. I was put on a 2 mth tapered vanco course after the first 10 day course didnt work. Its been almost 5 mths off antibiotics but I still experience abdominal pain, gas, bloating everyday (and M from time to time).

I was doing okay for some time but Ive had "IBS" pain related flareups a few times this past month and its been harder to get back on track.

I have cut out foods that seem to cause excessive pain, like dairy and whole grains and sugar mostly (yogurt I can tolerate). Ive been taking high potency probiotics everyday day and night, and florastor most of the week.

Does anyone have common symptoms? Any suggestions for diet (I am vegetarian but willing to try collagen powder, gellaten, etc). Scared of glutamine as I have read its links to cancer cells.

I am trying intermittent fasting for at least a month to give my gut a break. I am also eating foods that are easy to digest, like rice, sourdough bread, cooked veggies, potatoes, yogurt.

Any other tips? Seems like everything is causing (varying) pain and discomfort.
Last edited by vegmons on Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Machaon
Regular Contributor

Re: How to deal with "IBS"?

Postby Machaon » Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:59 am

vegmons, sorry that you are having significant problems with IBS.

I did not have any negative after effects from a nasty six month C-diff infection. But, back in 1956 I suffered with lifelong nasty side effects as a result of a flu infection caused by an experimental "live" flu vaccine.

What does this have to do with you? Perhaps nothing, but...

After recovering from the flu, I found myself struggling with a damaged autoimmune system, which resulted in many chemical and environmental sensitivities that caused all kinds of problems, including IBS. I discovered that contacts with certain chemicals resulted in nasty bowel problems, such as painful constipation and cramps lasting for 3 or more days.

I don't know if your battle with C-diff resulted in a damaged immune system, but you may want to investigate if chemicals that you may be handling or contacting each day might be aggravating your IBS, and that your IBS problems might not be strictly caused by your diet.

Whatcha think?

Regards, Bob
Male 77 S.Florida

900 weight lifts 750 knee bends day

Since 1987 had CHF afib asthma

I inhale $6 Flonase nasal spray for asthma :)

Ex C-diff (4/19/17- 9/12/17) after 10 days dificid

Diet:6 meals ~1500 cals 2 eggs 2 steamed broccoli, apple, bagels

vegmons
Brand New Poster

Postby vegmons » Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:32 pm

Bob,
Yes that it possible. But I think its important to add that I also developed pretty bad colitis within 12 hours of my first relapse. Is it possible that I am still recovering from that initial damage?

D1dad
Regular Contributor

Postby D1dad » Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:16 am

I did and dealt with the same thing at first. Cut back on the probiotics. I was bloated and in pain and lo and behold it was the obscene amount of what I thought was good pills I was taking. I do still take a probiotic but just one that I found doesn’t upset things.

D1dad
Regular Contributor

Postby D1dad » Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:22 am

I took whey protein powder with almond milk and that really helped. The brand is optimum nutrition from any gnc, Walmart or meijer store. You’ll hear ensure being talked about on here but that stuff is not clean and just a gimmicky product that is more marketing than proof. Plus it’s expensive. I can tell you don’t replace pasta with spaghetti squash...oh boy! I did try collagen and can’t say if it did or didn’t work but know for a fact that benefiber worked until it didn’t.

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:11 am

It is VERY common to have IBS Post CDIFF. We have had many questions over the years about this, it takes time for the gut to heal. There are several medications you can spwak with your GI about. I was on Levsin for a year Post CDIFF and still take it once in awhile.

I also watched my diet which can affect things. There are certain foods I still do not eat 5 years later. Some OTC medications I can no longer take. I recently had a terrible virus my entire family came down with, I was sick for weeks. Everyone else was sick for a week.

Healing takes time. See your GI for a follow up and maybe consider a medication

Hope you feel better soon

NanciT

Return to “Treatments”