Broth

Treatments, possible treatments, unsubstantiated/unproven treatments. Consult your doctor first.

Postby Guest » Mon Jun 14, 2004 2:09 pm

I was just reading a page I had printed out that said the KC treatment is a "two-bacterial per enteroscope infusion that uses bacteriodes bacteria (the most common bacterium in the bowel) plus healthy or beneficial E.coli as two antagonistic bugs to CD. It can rid the patient of CD and spores." Does anyone know if anything has changed/updated with that treatment? <BR> <BR>The article didn't know success rate but I thought it was around 50% So far, has there been one poster on site that has done it?

Postby Guest » Mon Jun 14, 2004 4:15 pm

Bobbie did the broth treatment. If I remember correctly, the first time it didn't work for her but the second time it did.

Postby Guest » Tue Jun 15, 2004 12:00 am

Ellen, <BR>Pattik is right. The first time I had the broth, it didn't work. It's one of my many regrets in my life that I didn't have it again immediately. (Dr. Allen said it might not work the first time.) Instead, I listened to other doctors and waited until I had C. diff. for four years (tried S. boulardii for two years and also Lact. GG -- now Culturelle) before I had the broth again. At that point, I was so desperate I would have done anything. This time it worked. It also worked the first time when I had C. diff. again two years later. <BR> <BR>Dr. Allen's contact info. is under <!-- BBCode Start --><I>Doctors</I><!-- BBCode End -->. Give his nurse Cheryl a call.

Postby Guest » Tue Jun 15, 2004 12:03 am

PS <BR> <BR>Ellen, to my knowledge, only two other posters on this site have come to KC for "the broth." It didn't work for either one, but both women had other complications. I don't believe they had it a second time. <BR> <BR>I don't know if Dr. Allen has changed his method of doing the procedure or not. By the way, if your bacteriodes have been wiped out, I don't believe you can replenish them with probiotics, but I might be incorrect.

Postby Guest » Tue Jun 15, 2004 1:07 am

Bobbi, <BR>Did you know if your bacteriodes were wiped out prior to the procedure? I'm not sure what they are but do/can they ever replenish? Do you mean the broth won't replace them or any probiotic won't replace them? <BR>If they had something in writing to read and research - that would answer some questions. I plan to try the nurse there again. I might ask her if she takes appointments?

Postby Guest » Fri Jun 25, 2004 1:53 pm

Ellen, <BR>Read Dr. Borody's article that mentions bacteriodes. From what I have read, probiotics won't replenish them, but the broth or Dr. Borody's procedure will.

Postby Guest » Fri Jun 25, 2004 2:37 pm

Bobbi, <BR>After reading your post, I had a couple of questions: <BR>If the broth does not work, does one know immediately because evidently there is no change in bowel habits? <BR>If it does work, is it an immediate return to healthy/normal stools or is there a delay? <BR>Did you have any side effects from any broth treatment? <BR>I really wish I could find out the success rate but when I asked I rec'd a vague answer. Maybe there have been others in this area that have had it? I wonder if Dr. Allen promotes it as much as Dr. Borody promotes his treatment. Maybe the success rate has increased if they now use a newer technique.

Postby Guest » Fri Jun 25, 2004 11:42 pm

When I first had the broth treatment, Dr. Allen told me it had about a 50% chance of working. I don't know if he uses a different method now or not. He doesn't actively promote it. You don't know if it works or not until you are off Vanco. about six to eight weeks later. (As I remember, he kept me on Vanco. a couple of weeks after the broth.) C. diff. left me with IBS. I didn't have any side effects from the broth, but C. diff. left me with other health issues. <BR> <BR>The broth worked for me, but I don't encourage you to try any method that you are "iffy" about -- it's strictly your own decision.

Postby Guest » Tue Dec 07, 2004 10:27 am

I have just been released from the hospital due to the third time with c-diff. I had a colonoscopy and the broth treatment from Dr. Allen. It took me 4 days to find the Vanco that I needed and now the diarreah has gone but I still go the bathroom 4 or 5 times a day. My biggest problem is not being able to eat. I have nausea all the time and just feel tired all the time. I have missed so much school and I am really frightened

Postby Guest » Wed Dec 08, 2004 12:35 am

Karen, <BR>Get in touch with Dr. Allen's office if you don't feel better soon. The broth treatment didn't work for me the first time I had it. It did work the second time - and then again (the first time) when I got C. diff. again two years later. <BR> <BR>Of course you are frightened. Everyone who has had C. diff. is terrified of having it again. I've had lots of health problems since having C. diff. the first time almost 13 years ago, but my #1 concern is still C. diff. <BR> <BR>Try to get through the days as best you can. Cindy might have a point about the gallbladder. Doesn't hurt to ask. I never had nausea with C. diff., but everyone is different, and a lot of people have reported that they did. Plus, C. diff. just makes you feel "icky" all over. <BR> <BR>Check it out if this keeps up.

Return to “Treatments”