Difcid

Treatments, possible treatments, unsubstantiated/unproven treatments. Consult your doctor first.
momo123
Regular User

Difcid

Postby momo123 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:00 am

Hi everyone,

I wanted to ask a few questions, I was diagnosed with cdiff back in Feb 2019. I had on and off D for over a year bc i thought it was IBS or an ulcer. My stools were normal most days and when I would have D it was no blood or mucus or NO SMELL at all. None of my docs could believe it, still cant. I started with Flagyl (awful)started that feb 12th called my back 4 days later said i couldnt take it to write me something else she told me to stop taking it. i had 8 pills left. so i did. well D didnt come back for almost 2 months started vanco tested positive again for cdiff and Ecoli which i had the first round of meds. so took 14 days of vanco. felt great stool was firm and normal. I never had D and even with my whole experience didnt have cramps. Only burning in my upper stomach sometimes, Normal ? my dad has an ucler so i thought thats what it was my GI told me my upper stomach had nothing to do with cdiff. Well i was fine after vanco started april 8 2019 throught the 20 something, felt good had a few burning in my tummy but no D. I had a loose bm after drinking wine and eating hamburger freaked out retested it was negative this was about may 30th but still tested positive for ecoli so she wrote me something similar to cipro for 4 days. I freaked out bc i didnt want to get cdiff again since i tested negative the last time. well June 28 I started D stil no blood or mucus or smell only 5 times that morning then i was fine. then the next day i went about 8 times. which i had never done before it was always only 2-3 times max back to back.... no one understands. so i retested july 1 she wrote me 10 days of Dificid which i finished yesterday. Now i wait ..... and im so scared it will come back. Any feed back on what to do now to build my gut bc i have read that helps and kills spores. I do not want FMT :( Thanks

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: Difcid

Postby beth22 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:13 am

You could try and take some probiotics, although they only give you a very small amount of good bacteria as compared to what your intestines normally have. Kefir might help too. Why did your doctor not give you Xifaxan for the e-coli? I thought that Xifaxan was what treated that and it also helps many forms of c difficile. Maybe it was a different strain of e-coli that it would not work on.

momo123
Regular User

Postby momo123 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:10 am

I’m not sure ... she said this would cure it my last stool sample she didn’t check to see if it was gone but it’s so strange Bc i don’t have symptoms of ecoli i wasn’t sick .. so idk .. yes i use 2 probiotics 3 times a day and keifer shakes Bc i can’t drink plain .. I am praying all this has worked .. it’s messing with my mind a little bit.

momo123
Regular User

Postby momo123 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:13 am

Is there a diet recommendation?

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:02 am

Testing positive for e.coli or c.diff does not mean your sick!
BOTH can be normal gut flora and in the vast majority of people are just harmless residents.
They BOTH only need treating if they cause disease and if theres no typical symptoms theres no disease!
If you were tested they would also probably find strep, staph, (possibly even MRSA), candida and loads of other potentialy nasty bugs.
We all have them in abundance!
Trying to eliminate them usualy causes more harm than just leaving them alone.
Your natural immunity shrugs off most bugs.
If it's not broke dont fix it.
Treat the patient not the test result.

momo123
Regular User

Postby momo123 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:47 am

Well might be a little to late for that... as i have been on Flagyl, vanco, and Dificid. I am 5 days out now. I did have D randomly but not back to back or every day or even every week. So I guess now its just a waiting game. Which I hate....My stools are formed not solid but formed. I guess that is normal after all this.

My Gi also said my PCR test was positive this last time (June 30th)....
Which I did have symptoms of D on and off but it would be like once a month 2-3 times back to back. Then it would go away. But Im guessing that was from the cdif not Ecoli and to be honest I think i caught another strain of cdiff after taking meds for ecoli bc I had gotten a negative test a little over a month after vanco and before taking Doxy for Ecoli. So irritating

D1dad
Regular Contributor

Postby D1dad » Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:33 am

If you can tolerate fiber then give it a try. I was the same way but benefiber really bulked things up. Citrucel made me think I was relapsing after I ran out of benefiber. I also drink whey protein everyday which contains glutamine and speeds up the healing process. My GI also recommended collagen powder but I don’t know if that did much outside of make me gag but I know the protein powder was a huge help including gaining back the weight I lost. Pepto has been mentioned many times here and was recommended as well for those days when my diet worked against me.

momo123
Regular User

Postby momo123 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:19 am

I will def have to try that, I havev noticed i can tolerate fiber im just scared to eat alot of it I make a shake every morning and have protein powder in it, along with alot of other things. Thank you so much for responding to my post. I will def try this out.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:37 am

Dont test unless you have D 3 x a day for at least 3 days in a row.

momo123
Regular User

Postby momo123 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:59 am

Well that was my problem since i have had cdiff for prob over a yeAr and didn’t know it .. i have never had D like that it would do it 1-3 times back to back then would go away for a month ... but i still positive for it. So that’s why i freak out when i have D one time Bc i have no smell no hurting and d only once or 3 times back to back.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:30 pm

C.diff can be a normal gut bacteria, so can e.coli.
Testing positive does not mean you are sick or need treatment to clear it.
C.diff is a common bacteria that can cause colitis, the symptoms are frequent watery d that does not resolve on it's own.
Frequent is 3 x a day for 3 or more days.
If you dont have colitis (full name psudomembronous colitis) then a positive c.diff test (or e.coli) is just another form of normal.

momo123
Regular User

Postby momo123 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:52 pm

Thank you for this, do you recommend a colonoscopy ?

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:18 pm

Personally I would not even consider a colonoscopy with such mild symptoms but that's just me.
I can not say you should not consider one if you think your sick and if you keep going back to your Dr it's probably the next test on the list.
Almost certainly it would be normal though.

momo123
Regular User

Postby momo123 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:22 pm

That’s my thoughts about i mean i am a healthy 28 year old female that took Clindamycin two years ago and that’s when it started on and off. I have had 4 cdiff test with one being negative after vanco then 3 days later i took doxycycline for the E. coli . That’s when my symptoms started again about two weeks after that

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:26 pm

Momo123,
You are asking medical questions we cannot answer. Ask your doc re. a scope.

Many on this site are here thanks to Clindamycin.

Know how frustrated you feel. Been there, done that. You will be fine -'eventually. Hang on. Keep posting. We are here for support.

Return to “Treatments”