Colonics and Cleansing?

Treatments, possible treatments, unsubstantiated/unproven treatments. Consult your doctor first.

Postby Guest » Thu Feb 26, 2004 3:28 pm

Has anybody tried this? I was inquiring about this to a friend who does this and she swears it works. I would not be interested in the fasting part of it since I am nursing a baby, but am very interested in the colonic portion. It apparently involves pumping in (up) 5 gallons of distilled water in while laying at a slant on a colemic board. <BR>Definitely alternative medicine. <BR>I am interested because it seems logical that a bacteria that produced spores such as C. Diff could be "flushed' out of the system, and also that the water might actually feel good with my poor irritated colon. <BR> <BR>Anybody have any further knowledge or insight regarding?

Postby Guest » Fri Feb 27, 2004 9:59 am

Karen, <BR>I would be very doubtful this method would work. <BR>The "flush" may wash out the bad bacteria but would also wash out any good bacteria you may have been able to establish in your colon. In addition, spores can live and "hide out" in the small intestine. Enemas, water flushes, etc. do not penetrate the small intestine. <BR>Did your friend who swears by this have c-diff?

Postby Guest » Fri Feb 27, 2004 12:42 pm

Everything I have read about "colonics" indicates the medical community considers them a completely useless, bogus "treatment." As Jennie says, they also flush out the good bacteria.

Postby Guest » Fri Feb 27, 2004 2:41 pm

Too bad...what I was reading was sounding good about them. I am 'grasping' here because I hate the idea of being on Vanco for so long. I am now on a six week taper. If this does not work I am going to be really disappointed (not to mention depressed).

Postby Guest » Fri Feb 27, 2004 5:52 pm

Also had asked my G.I. about this. It does flush the good and bad bacteria out. It is not a solution.

Postby Guest » Sun Feb 29, 2004 11:04 pm

Just wanted to say that I had a persistent campylobacter infection (10 + urgent liquid movements a day for 8 weeks) that survived the antibiotics and in desperation I tried to flush out my system from top to bottom- with the preparation taken before colonoscopies-Colyte. <BR> <BR>So the bacteria, which may exists beyond the colon (a colonic will not get into the small intestine) would be flushed out. <BR> <BR>At the same time, large doses of probiotics were taken to replace the good bacteria. <BR>Three weeks later, I'm regular 1-2 trips a day. Dont know if it works with c diff but you never know. <BR> <BR>It was tough to do (the phososoda and then colyte), took an evening, and horrified the doctor at the clinic, but I had to do something, and I've been regular since. <BR> <BR>Think about it.

Postby Guest » Sun Feb 29, 2004 11:15 pm

Just to clarify, the phoshosoda is taken orally, mid-day, about an hour later, be sure you're near a bathroom, you'll need it, then start the drinking of a large jug of water mixed with the cleansing solution having salts and electrolyes. <BR>These things are available over the counter <BR> <BR>An 8 oz glass is taken every 10min for 3 hours.Not easy to stomach- like drowning in salt water. There will be little to nothing that will remain in your system. No eating should be done during the cleaning. <BR>Take about 8-10 probiotic pills a day starting that evening and taper off. <BR> <BR>If you have severe irritation of the colon or bleeding, this may be too harsh! <BR> <BR>Again , it worked for me. The logic made sense to me but no guarantees. Let me know if you try it and what happened.

Nancy101
Brand New Poster

Postby Nancy101 » Sat Nov 12, 2005 2:37 pm

Anonymous wrote: Just to clarify, the phoshosoda is taken orally, mid-day, about an hour later, be sure you're near a bathroom, you'll need it, then start the drinking of a large jug of water mixed with the cleansing solution having salts and electrolyes. <BR>These things are available over the counter <BR> <BR>An 8 oz glass is taken every 10min for 3 hours.Not easy to stomach- like drowning in salt water. There will be little to nothing that will remain in your system. No eating should be done during the cleaning. <BR>Take about 8-10 probiotic pills a day starting that evening and taper off. <BR> <BR>If you have severe irritation of the colon or bleeding, this may be too harsh! <BR> <BR>Again , it worked for me. The logic made sense to me but no guarantees. Let me know if you try it and what happened.

I have been thinking about the colonic cleansing programs because I came home from the hospital with C Difficle. I went through 2 courses of Vancomicin. Thought it was coming back. I was scheduled for a colonoscopy. After the cleansing and procedure I felt great again, cooking and eating for about a month. I kept saying that I think the laxatives flushed something bad out of me. But now I am sick again. My theory is that it flushed the bad stuff out of my colon , but the bug was stiill hiding in my small intestine and migrated back to my colon again. This is a painful disease and I pray every night I will be cured of it. I have been in pain and lost work and income because I am self- employed.I have thought of declaring bankruptsy because I am always sick. Nancy101

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sat Nov 12, 2005 3:43 pm

Nancy,
This is a medical question, and this isn't a medical site.

Some people say "flushing" works; some say it doesn't. It sounds as though it was a temporary solution for you.

I'd run this by your doctor again. Does he/she think you have IBS now or C. diff. again? Some people (about l out of 5) develop IBS after C. diff. It is not serious but has many of the same symptoms. (See FAQ -- IBS.)

I hope you've read Dr. Borody's article and some of the other topics in FAQ. Allison posted a recent one I copied in FAQ - Tests for C. diff. It's a comprehensive article.

Nancy101
Brand New Poster

Postby Nancy101 » Sun Nov 13, 2005 9:27 am

Bobby
I said that was my thoughts on the subject, I didn't claim any medical knowledge. I just stated that I felt better after the colonoscopy. I am in the process of waiting for lab results testing for c-diff after going to my G-I doctor. My PCP stated that you can have C-Diff and the tests can come back neg.I have had IBS before and this is not that. Again I want to stress that this was just my thoughts on the subject. I will continue to read up on this subject. Thank You
Nancy 101

MaryT
Regular Contributor

Postby MaryT » Fri Jan 06, 2006 4:21 pm

If enema's, colonics, etc. don't penetrate the small intestine where cdiff can hide out, then how does the fecal infusion work? Isn't the infusion administered via enema?

Allison
Administrator

Postby Allison » Fri Jan 06, 2006 4:52 pm

It's true that the small bowel MAY be a resovoir for spores, but this is just a theory. To my knowledge there's no real evidence - no documented findings.

Alot of the residual spore problems are probably still in the colon, and for those spores that may be housed in the small bowel, when they hatch and migrate, they too have a new foe to contend with - a brand new set of completely intact competing flora, and maybe even a few antibodies to boot. Dr. Borody has also said that an infusion performed properly may actually get through the ileus in small amounts, maybe enough to take care of spores.

Some infusions are done "from both ends" - by NG tube or endoscopy AND enema. Supposedly this gives patients the best possible chance. Makes sense to me.
Last edited by Allison on Fri Jan 06, 2006 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

beenhad
New User

enemas

Postby beenhad » Mon Feb 06, 2006 1:00 am

My grandma seys you need to do these colonics and enemas ,you may lose bacteria but the good quickly replenishes and if you change you ways of eating the bad wil stay out of your system, i said is that whats hanging in your clost with a long tube on a hot water bottle? She said yep and i eat right and don't eat out like you kids do and eat all the chemicals in your food and she raises her cows and pigs so she isn't eating chemically and hormone injected meat. I said i know g-ma but its hard not to eat out and eat right

MaryT
Regular Contributor

Postby MaryT » Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:30 am

When I saw my doctor 2 weeks ago, he wants me to do a 'cleansing' once a month. It's interesting because in the middle of cdiff when I had to get my colonoscopy (family history of colon cancer), after I had done the prep, I felt better for a while. So I'm going to try the cleansings...like anyone with cdiff wants to intentionally spend the day sick. In terms of chemicals, etc. I'm a celiac and it's very hard to eat out and control what you get. I seem to have sensitivity to chemicals so I have been advised to 'never' eat of a salad bar. I eat very basic things when eating out and NEVER eat fast food. I also eat all my eggs, meats, etc. that the livestock was not raised with antibiotics. I buy as much organic as I can and bag salad without any preservatives. It's hard, it's a lifestyle change, but I think it's something cdiff patients need to do to help out their systems. Unfortunately, it is also expensive.

Lauren
Administrator

Postby Lauren » Wed Apr 12, 2006 7:30 am

Millie contributed this:

I have just learned from my GI doctor/clinic that there have been some severe kidney problems reported in people using some sodium phosphate preparations such as Viscocil tablets, Fleet Phosphosoda, and similar store brands with the same active ingredients. These preparations are/were used for colon cleansing prior to colonoscopy. My clinic has gone back to using NuLytely. Just thought I'd pass this along, as I know how many colonosopies are done with people here.

http://kidneynotes.blogspot.com/2005/12 ... -some.html

Return to “Treatments”