Vancomycin taper

Treatments, possible treatments, unsubstantiated/unproven treatments. Consult your doctor first.
Jsjmall4
Brand New Poster

Vancomycin taper

Postby Jsjmall4 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:55 pm

I need advice from those who have been on the taper dosing. My doctor prescribed 250 mg four times a day for 14 days then 125 mg four times a day for 14 days then nothing for 14 days and the last dose which is what I’m about to start is 250 mg four times a day for 14 days. I was wondering if any of you guys of been on the same dosing if so did it work. My concern is I feel good right now and I’m wondering if I should take the last 14 days at 250 mg four times a day. Any advice would be nice

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: Vancomycin taper

Postby beth22 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:41 am

There are different tapers. I did one going from 4 to 3 a day then 2 a day, etc. I have to say that when I got to 1 a day, I relapsed after a week. I have not heard of the one you describe.

nestorb
Brand New Poster

Postby nestorb » Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:25 pm

I am a 61 yr old male in the midst of a taper myself from 500 mg of Vancomycin 4X which began in the hospital to 250 mg 4X which began this past Tues...the plan is to continue the taper next Tues with 125 mg 4X then continuing with 3X, 2X and finally 1X...this crappy journey started on Dec 28th...woke up at 1230'am with diarrhea and leg cramps so bad I couldn't sit on the toilet...became more and more dehydrated although I didn't realize it...finally went to my health plan who thought I had a blockage so sent me to ER...ER does a CS and says I don't have a blockage but bowels are full of gas and distorted...ER doc tries to send me home thinking its "just gastroenteritis" but I said I didn't want to do that so got admitted...floor submits stool sample to be tested...they had already started Flagyl then added Vanco increasing to 500 mg 4X after the test was POS...fever was all over the place 99 then 101 and back and forth for days...belly looked like there was a basketball inside...I had been on Omeprazole for GERD which had been continued until Gastro doc decided it was not a good idea...also was taking Norvasc for HBP...this has a side effect of freezing the normal peristalsis action of the intestines so that was stopped as well...wasn't allowed to eat anything for days except for ice chips then finally went clear liquids and then a low residue diet...remained in hospital for 11 days...boy there is nothing more humbling the having to discuss size, shape and frequency of bm's with 20 something yr old nurses while having to get up to go while having 3 IV's going all at the same time...now I am home but wondering how long the dizziness and lightheadedness will continue...I need to return to work...I work in healthcare and I am worried about keeping my job...Barry

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:14 pm

Hi Barry

Your post may not be seen since it has been added to another post. If you would like responses, you can click on new post.

Welcome to the site. As far as being dizzy, make sure you get your electrolytes checked, I am sure they were doing that in the hospital but if you are home now and still on Vanco, it can affect potassium.
As far as working, you need to feel well and not have symptoms especially if you are in healthcare. You didnt mention if you are in direct contact with patients, but it's still something I would be careful with.
It takes time for the gut to heal and feel better. I take VSL#3( 1 per day) which I find works best for me as far as a probiotic, Florester is the other one many on the site take. You may consider talking with your GI about it and make sure you follow up with your GI Post treatment

Hope you feel better soon

NanciT

Return to “Treatments”