Probiotic Book

Treatments, possible treatments, unsubstantiated/unproven treatments. Consult your doctor first.

Postby Guest » Mon Nov 10, 2003 10:45 pm

Kelly Karpa, PhD, RPh and a frequent past contributor to our site, has written a new book on probiotics. Dr. Karpa was motivated to do this research by her own frightening and frustrating experience with c-diff, when her son became ill with the disease. Kelly says of the book: <BR> <BR>"I think its important for folks on the site to know that I've written this book with THEM in mind, because I've been there, right where they are. I can sympathize with their frustrations, their helplessness...everything. The book is a huge summary of everything that is known about gut flora and probiotics (and the relationship with C diff and other diseases), current through July 2003. It is based upon clinical trials --describing various probiotic trials, outcomes of those studies, etc. There are some quotes from "experts"--Borody, Allen, Surawicz, etc. and Dr. McCann sent me some of his data from some of his own studies. But the book isn't based on anecdotal stories--its based only on FACT from clinical trials..". Dr. Karpa goes on to say, <BR>"I just want to help people find answers and get better educated. I want them to march into a doctor's office, book in hand, and say, "Look. Read this. I want to try this & here's the data to back me up." <BR> <BR>If you are interested in ordering Dr. Karpa's book, you can obtain it from the publisher at this link: <!-- BBCode u2 Start --><A HREF="http://www.trafford.com/robots/03-1294.html" TARGET="_blank">Publishers Page</A><!-- BBCode u2 End --> <BR> <BR>If you would like to learn more about Dr. Karpa, <BR>look here: <!-- BBCode u2 Start --><A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/probioticbook" TARGET="_blank">Dr. Karpa Bio</A><!-- BBCode u2 End -->

Postby Guest » Thu Nov 13, 2003 1:53 pm

Congratulations to Kelly Karpa on her new book. She was a frequent contributor to this site when her son developed C. diff. Even with all her medical knowledge, she still had to fight for answers and understands our frustrations. <BR> <BR>I'm going to repost this info. in the FAQ section under <!-- BBCode Start --><I>Bacteria for Breakfast</I><!-- BBCode End -->, the name of Kelly's book, so it won't get lost in the general postings. I believe she dedicated the book to C. diff. sufferers which is about as close as most of us will get to fame. It sounds like a "must read" for all of us who are grappling with this nasty disease. <BR> <BR>Congrats. again, Kelly.

Marcia
Long Time Contributor

A bacteria a day keeps a cold away

Postby Marcia » Tue Jul 18, 2006 9:40 am

A more concrete study on probiotics. They are conductiong another study but it's in the UK perhaps the members of the UK site could have some volunteers.
http://newcastle.yourguide.com.au/detai ... m=7&y=2006
It's amazing how many people you could be friends with if only they'd make the first approach.

Return to “Treatments”