Prevention of getting it again

Treatments, possible treatments, unsubstantiated/unproven treatments. Consult your doctor first.
Roxanne
Regular User

Prevention of getting it again

Postby Roxanne » Sun Sep 02, 2018 4:50 pm

I'm having a hiatus hernia repaired and possibly a gastric diverticlum. The Dr will only do the later if it is severe, as stomach staples and 2 weeks of antibiotics are required. It is large and will probably need repair

I'm chronic C-Diff, only FMT's work for me. Dificud helps keep the symptoms down, but still active. Flagal has never done anything to cure, have taken it 250 mg 3x day with a mild antibiotic for bladder infections and mostly it has helped from occurrence.

For the hernia, which is pressing on my heart and I'm aspirating, so I have to have this. 3 doses of antibiotics will be given IV, no choice.

They are admitting me 3 days prior to surgery, thinking at this point, (and it can change) IV Flagal with possible Dificud as a prevention. Their at a complete loss what to do and if this is the best option.

My bowels are destroyed, C-Diff and Diverticulitis. I need a re-section done. So getting C-Diff this time is very life threatening.

Is there any information out there on preventing a chronic person from getting it again? Forgot the new IV med that keeps you from getting it, can't take it. Can't take the other antibiotics for it either, high allergies

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: Prevention of getting it again

Postby beth22 » Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:32 pm

A few posters have used IV vanco during surgery. You might ask your doctor about it, but it can cause hearing loss. So can some other antibiotics. The posters did not have hearing loss from it, but it is possible.

Roxanne
Regular User

Postby Roxanne » Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:29 pm

I lost so much hearing from Vanco, one more dose and I'll be deaf.

Just talked to the C-Diff foundation and she said in Feb, 2018 Flagal was removed as a course of treatment for C-Diff. First I heard of this.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:54 pm

Flagyl was removed from the Cdiff treatment a long time ago , probably since 2016 , not sure exactly.

AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Postby AllisS » Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:13 pm

Flagyl hasn't been "removed" as some doctors (those not yet in the know) still prescribe it for C. diff. However, it's no longer considered the first line of treatment.
If your illness was preceded by use of a medication, e.g., an antibiotic, please fill out an FDA Adverse Event Report at http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/default.htm

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:52 am

A panel of experts was convened by the Infectious Diseases Society of America (IDSA) and Society for Healthcare Epidemiology of America (SHEA) to update the 2010 clinical practice guideline on Clostridium difficileinfection (CDI) in adults

Published 15th Feb 2018

Either vancomycin or fidaxomicin is recommended over metronidazole for an initial episode of CDI. The dosage is vancomycin 125 mg orally 4 times per day or fidaxomicin 200 mg twice daily for 10 days (strong recommendation, high quality of evidence) (Table 1).

In settings where access to vancomycin or fidaxomicin is limited, we suggest using metronidazole for an initial episode of nonsevere CDI only (weak recommendation, high quality of evidence). The suggested dosage is metronidazole 500 mg orally 3 times per day for 10 days. Avoid repeated or prolonged courses due to risk of cumulative and potentially irreversible neurotoxicity (strong recommendation, moderate quality of evidence). (See Treatment section for definition of CDI severity.)

Return to “Treatments”