Can I be hospitalized?

Treatments, possible treatments, unsubstantiated/unproven treatments. Consult your doctor first.
Irishmom
Brand New Poster

Can I be hospitalized?

Postby Irishmom » Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:00 pm

I have cdiff. I have diverticulosis (not infection now) so my colon is compromised. I had a resection in 2008, ten years ago.

I got over the diarrhea and have been on vanco for 7 days. The last two days have taken a turn. Massive pain left side. Some diarrhea, nausea, feeling fatigued.
Pain so bad had to go to ER last night.
Almost admitted to treat it there.

Has anyone been admitted to treat their cdiff and keep the pain under control?

I’m 48 and in decent health.

Thanks.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: Can I be hospitalized?

Postby beth22 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:38 pm

I have not, but yes, there are other posters who have been admitted. I hope you feel better soon.

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:57 am

Hello and Welcome to the site Please read the first thread for all new posters

Sorry you had to find us. As Beth mentioned, several posters have been admitted for various reason while being treated for CDIFF.

I was admitted for dehydration and severe low potassium. As far as pain, that should be checked, I did go through more than one CT over my time with CDIFF to rule other complications out, but pain medication is not used often during this illness. Many cause constipation which needs to be avoided with CDIFF.
I used a heating pad constantly on my left side, Sea Bands for the nausea and stuck to a very bland diet to allow the gut to rest.
I also had a history of diverticulitis( no surgery). Hopefully once you finish the Vanco you will see improvement, it can take awhile for things to get back to "normal".

Hope you feel better soon
NanciT

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:18 am

C.diff disease can vary from mild inconvenient symptoms right up to a life threatening illness.
Unless your in the latter category or severely dehydrate it's probably best to be treated at home, the treatment would be the same so theres no hospitalisation just to give you 4 pills a day.
Also theres an Increased risk of picking up other bugs in hospital.

Return to “Treatments”